Skip to toolbar
Taipan Laminate airgunUragans airgun

XP airguns ranger 45 caliber 36inch barrel MONSTER !

Home Forums Other Guns Other Guns XP airguns ranger 45 caliber 36inch barrel MONSTER !

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 187 total)
  • Author
    melloroadman
    Participant

If you are talking about the Lee mold . Hold off for a bit . I have that mold and I was not thrilled with the out come . But it might have been me . I am sending Dan a few to try this week . Lets see what he has to say .Marvin

roachcreek
    Participant

Marvin,

That is great, thanks.

It is information like this that when shared, and the sharing of resources like bullets, that benefits us all.

It will interesting to see what the different twist does to that little short slug.

What diameter are you turning out and what alloy or in your case BHN are you using?

It looked like an inexpensive alternative to the EPP UG slug at first glance.

Regards,

Roachcreek

melloroadman
    Participant

They are a 15 bhn. sized to .452 . I really do not know how accurate they are .I shoot them through the chrony one time . I was in a hurry and the wind picked up . Have not had a opportunity to really shoot them again . But they did not fair as well as my other bullets that day . Marvin

dan-h
    Participant

OH BOY ! I got my casting stuff in from midway ….20lbs pot /454 round ball mold / 8= 10lbs lead bars / flux /kroil for the mold ………and i am to dam tired from stupid work to do anything with it right now !

but i could get sick tomorrow and make round balls all day ! 😆 😆

one thing a forgot to order was a temp gauge 😥 how high would you guys set the temp on the pot on ? for pure soft lead ?

I put the Charlie bullets there , for good casting /shooting luck ! 😆 😆 those bullets hit like a dam SLEDGE HAMMER ! 😈 BAM ! 😆

roachcreek
    Participant

Dan,

Those dials don’t have much to do with temperture. I would put it all the way until you get a full melt, then back off to 80%.

Your going to have fun making those.

Roachcreek

dan-h
    Participant
    quote roachcreek:

Dan,

Those dials don’t have much to do with temperture. I would put it all the way until you get a full melt, then back off to 80%.

Roachcreek

I just ordered the same accurate 46-425b mold with 52 pure lead for size …..with 1 extra bullet 45-340 B Casull sized 452
    so it is a 3 bullet mold , i like how fast that 340 shot , so i figure the casull is very close in design to the 425 ..so cross my fingers that 1 works good 2 , just thought i would try and extra bonus 1 😆
    Charlie what handles did you get for your accurate mold ?

also i am going to order a Lee 2 cavity 452 – 255 grain flat nose product # 775 664 from midway , that 1 looks like a mini version of the other 2

tofazfou
    Participant

Agree with RC on the dial. i turn mine all the way up till the lead is liquid then i keep mine on 7 the rest of the time till im finished casting all my bullets. 7 is my SLEEP NUMBER….LOL….GET IT….SLEEP NUMBER….NUMBER 7….uhhh, get…….ohhhhhh forget it. 😛 😆

dan-h
    Participant
    quote roachcreek:

Dan,

Roachcreek

Charlie , thanks for the tip , do those accurate molds come with handles ? and if not what kind do you get ?

melloroadman
    Participant

Dan bullets are in the mail . They are all sprayed with dry lube or molly. If you do not want the lube spray them with break kleen . They are all labeled as well . They are 12-15 bhn lead . So I recomend that you run a brush through your barrel and give it a good cleaning first . That should remove any soft lead that might be in the grooves that could get transfered to the bullets . Marvin

dan-h
    Participant
    quote melloroadman:

Dan bullets are in the mail . They are all sprayed with dry lube or molly. If you do not want the lube spray them with break kleen . They are all labeled as well . They are 12-15 bhn lead . So I recomend that you run a brush through your barrel and give it a good cleaning first . That should remove any soft lead that might be in the grooves that could get transfered to the bullets . Marvin

WOW ! thanks a bunch Marvin , this will help me out , to figure out what at to shoot in this gun , my goal is to get several good shooting bullets for low,med,and high power ,

thanks again Marvin

Dan

roachcreek
    Participant

Dan,

Either RCBS handles or Lee handles will work.

Charlie

dan-h
    Participant
    quote roachcreek:

Dan,

Either RCBS handles or Lee handles will work.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie , hey man i got some round ball casted up check this out ! 😆 😆 😆 i like their shape a lot better than the speer round balls that have small bash marks all over them , i casted over 400 tonight , that mold worked great after i got it broke in . This is the first time i have ever casted bullets/roundball , and i must say it was a lot of fun , and i will cast all my bullets / roundball from here on out , i figure with what i had left in the pot , that makes atleast 500 454 rounball out of a 10lbs bar of lead ! 12.50 it cost me shipped out of the 80lbs that i bought so far , i think i will buy more of this lead .

Charlie i am going to do another casting session tomorrow night , i am going to send you some of these to try out , i think you will like them for plinking , the mold is just 20 bucks , and 10lbs = around 500 454 rounball for some cheaper shooting , thanks for all your help man .

tofazfou
    Participant

Ahhhhh DAN, I’M CLAIMING “BULLSHIT” ON THOSE RB’S MAN. U did not cast those, you bought a bunch of stainless steel ball bearings and posed them as freshly casted RB’s…….

LOL…LOL…..LOL

Those look damned good bro. Good for you. Fun aint it.

The one thing though if i may is, don’t cast so much before you test out a batch in your gun. Of course you can always remelt them but if they don’t shoot well but its a time thing i’m referring too.

Good Job Dan.

butcher45
    Participant
    quote Dan H:

I just ordered the same accurate 46-425b mold with 52 pure lead for size …..with 1 extra bullet 45-340 B Casull sized 452
    so it is a 3 bullet mold , i like how fast that 340 shot , so i figure the casull is very close in design to the 425 ..so cross my fingers that 1 works good 2 , just thought i would try and extra bonus 1 😆
    Charlie what handles did you get for your accurate mold ?

also i am going to order a Lee 2 cavity 452 – 255 grain flat nose product # 775 664 from midway , that 1 looks like a mini version of the other 2

Can’t wait to see how accurate that Casull 45-340B is….a .34 meplat is pretty good. The Lee design, too. Here is the Lee 260grain SWC….I didn’t have many of these so I can’t recall whether or not they were accurate (that was almost 4 years ago). I like what the .35 meplat did when it hit stuff, though. Like this 600 page book we found out at the shooting spot.

dan-h
    Participant

T …… 😆 those were fun to cast , i have shot over 2 1/2 boxes of 100= 454 speer round ball through the gun , and they did very well for plinking hitting beer cans laying on there side with 1 end pointed at me out to -70-75 yards i figure , that is why i ordered this mold , i figured it was a good way to start trying this casting stuff out .

i just followed what all you guys said to do , i was surprised how well those balls turned out so smooth and round when i compare them to the speer ones i have been shooting , heck i might just melt the speer ones i have left and re-cast those also , these ones i just casted are way more consistant in roundness – when i used the caliper on both the speer ,and the ones i just casted .

man i am just very glad now that i bought this casting stuff , 100 speer round balls cost me atleast 12 bucks for 100 , compared to 2.50 – bucks for the the cost for 100 in lead i just bought on a good deal .

Butcher …. that casull really caught my eye , i had seen you post about them before so when i was looking for a 340 grain , and compared them to the 46-425b that Charlie is using ,they are very similar in design . I can’t wait to get these bullet molds now , and cast some more bullets up, one thing i need to try on my laser cast bullets that i bought is to remove the lube they used and see if that improves the accuracy a bit on those , I have a funny feeling it will since the lube did not work good at all in Charlies gun .
    next week i will have the other lee mold the 255 grain one , so i can cast some of those test them while the pot is hot , and if they shoot good ,cast a bunch of those up ! 😆 right then … cross my fingers 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 187 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.