Skip to toolbar
Taipan Laminate airgunUragans airgun

XP airguns ranger 45 caliber 36inch barrel MONSTER !

Home Forums Other Guns Other Guns XP airguns ranger 45 caliber 36inch barrel MONSTER !

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 187 total)
  • Author
    dan-h
    Participant
    quote roachcreek:

Dan,

There is a big learning curve while doing this.

Heat is a friend and a foe to casting. It is important to keep your lead the correct temp, but at the same time keep your mold from getting so hot that it cools too slow and you smear lead under the sprue plate. A casting thermometer is very important.

I like to cast with two or more molds personally when I cast, that way it allows me to sit one mold down and fill another, that change over time allows the mold to cool enough to open.

Aluminum heats fast, but cools fast also, it can be dificult to use and it damages easily, many aluminum mold makers recomend you lube the top of the mold and sprue plate, this must be done carefully to avoid wrinkled bullets,.

Iron molds heat up slower and also retain the heat longer, and they do not damage as easily.

Bronze molds I have never used so I can’t tell you.

So what does this all mean? Well for me, it means that I will probably have only one design of bullet per mold, and I choose aluminum, but I have done this for a while. For a beginner, I would get the iron mold, it is more forgiving, and I would get one for the heavy bullet design and one for the lighter design. Multiple cavity molds really put out the bullets, but the pour is more tedius to get a propper fill.

To avoid damage, open and close you molds slowly, remember they are hot and soft as a result, only use wood or a rawhide mallet on your sprue late, never use abrasive materials like steel wool to remove lead buildup, I like to either poor lead on lead buildup and let it bond and set up and the let the lead just fall off, or use a old towel to wipe it away while hot and soft.

Clean your new mold throughly with alcohol, and then smoke the cavity with a lighted match or bic lighter to put a layer of black soot on it, Your first casting session will yeild few good bullets, your just breaking the mold in. Ask Tom what he recommends for a new mold.

And remember, safty glasses, welders gloves and adequate ventalation.

So if I were you I would get two iron molds for now. 😆 Took me a long fucking time to say that.

Regards,

Roachcreek

thank you Charlie , 🙂 i bought a aluminum 454 round ball mold from Midway for the heck of it , but the accurate i think i will buy the iron ones like you say , now how hot do you get the lead for aluminum pure lead , and how hot for the iron , i heard they are a little different temps ,

i had a guy that cast a lot tell me to clean the mold then use kroil on the aluminum mold -soak it over night , then take a Q tip wipe it out then hit it with the lighter like you said , he said /claimed this works great , he said if they come out wrinkled that the temp would be to cool , if they turn out frosted that, that was caused by to much heat .

i got the shoebox test running again , i had another oring fail again this morning , so i took everything out of the cylinder cleaned it , then i sighted down the cylinder to see how the piston rod lined up , it was off a bit , i had to bend the plates that that the roller piece slides back and forth that holds the lower rod , to get it to alien right , cross my DAM FINGER’S ! this time it works for a while , god i hope ! 🙄

roachcreek
    Participant

Dan,

I have never tried Kroil.

My mold I seasoned as I described, and put a little graphite on the sprue plate and top of the mold.

I can open the sprue plate with a gloved hand when at the correct temp, and the bullets fall out most of the time without any tapping with the rawhide mallet.

Watch the cut sprue, it will tell you if your opening it too soon, if it looks like it sheared solid metal your okay, if it starts to look like it is breaking you at the verge of too hot, if your getting lead smear on the bottom of the sprue plate your too hot. There should be some resistance to opening
    the sprue plate.

I add lead to the pot when it gets too hot to cool it down and leave a cast bullet and sprue in the mold while the pot heats to temp again for casting.

Remember, any oil on that mold will result in wrinkled bullets for a long time.

Regards

dan-h
    Participant

re-edited post – i am still trying to get the shoebox to work again , got off the Phone with Tom K going to keep working on this thing, and try to get it going , as Tom is willing to help out with parts or new unit .

dan-h
    Participant
    quote roachcreek:

Dan,

I have never tried Kroil.

My mold I seasoned as I described, and put a little graphite on the sprue plate and top of the mold.

I can open the sprue plate with a gloved hand when at the correct temp, and the bullets fall out most of the time without any tapping with the rawhide mallet.

Watch the cut sprue, it will tell you if your opening it too soon, if it looks like it sheared solid metal your okay, if it starts to look like it is breaking you at the verge of too hot, if your getting lead smear on the bottom of the sprue plate your too hot. There should be some resistance to opening
    the sprue plate.

I add lead to the pot when it gets too hot to cool it down and leave a cast bullet and sprue in the mold while the pot heats to temp again for casting.

Remember, any oil on that mold will result in wrinkled bullets for a long time.

Regards

Charlie those bullets look GREAT ! 😆 😆 good job man ! 😆 you got me all exited to do this ! 😆 i just know it will be worth it because we can make what we want , and need for these gun’s

dan-h
    Participant

I have to say the trigger on this gun is AWSOME 😉 😆 😆 on a few other threads we had a few members that decided to put Dan’s trigger down before they had ever shot this gun well i have shot it some 400 time’s now , and i can tell you it has shot / trigger pulled perfect , there is no inconsistent rough spots at all , it is just perfect butter smooth even until the gun goes off , it was like this new out of the box ! 😆 PERFECT ! 😆

dan-h
    Participant

I did some shooting today , tested out RoachCreek-Charlie’s 45-425b bullets , the gun really liked them a lot 😆

roachcreek
    Participant

Dan,

The picture did not come up, how did they do and at what speed?

Regards,

Roackcreek

dan-h
    Participant
    quote roachcreek:

Dan,

The picture did not come up, how did they do and at what speed?

Regards,

Roackcreek

around 900 3 shots right next to each other , i will try again to post the pic up , the 340’s were almost 1000 fps i cleaned the lube off them , before i shot the 45 425b’s ,

roachcreek
    Participant

Dan,

It is not fair comparing your groups to mine, your 8 inches closer to the target. 😆

Roachcreek

dan-h
    Participant
    quote roachcreek:

Dan,

It is not fair comparing your groups to mine, your 8 inches closer to the target. 😆

Roachcreek

HA ! HA ! thanks again Charlie , those bullets you made hit like a sledge hammer 😈 😆 😆 BOOM ! ——-BAM !

roachcreek
    Participant

Dan,

They don’t seem to like the Lee Alox I guess.

Roachcreek

dan-h
    Participant
    quote roachcreek:

Dan,

They don’t seem to like the Lee Alox I guess.

Roachcreek

That was shooting them with no lube at all 4200 psi , 50-60 yards , I was tethered to a 44cf tank , god that was fun shooting , i can see now what design of bullet that gun likes , that 408 ,and 340 both shot well , got hit by a hail storm up there and had to put everything in the Yukon quick like 😯 , before i could get my table down the ice /snow was 1 inch thick ! 😯

we had a couple of Army special ops guys up there today , they both shot my gun , and were amazed , these guys were blasting gun nuts i must say , my ear plugs were in the whole dam time , i don’t know how many clips they blasted through 😆 😆 😆 those guys set up targets in all direction then ran around and aggressively , un-loaded clips on all targets , they said they were headed back to afghanistan for more Killing ! one guy showed me 2 hollow point 40 cal bullets opened up like flowers that he said went through some taliban members ! CRAZY ! 😈

tofazfou
    Participant

YEP, those big bullets of RC’s are keepers for sure. These big bores with their current twist rates really seem to like the 300-400+ gr bullets. Very nice shooting and very nice casting by RC.

butcher45
    Participant

Nice shooting…..whole lotta power behind that accuracy!

Take a good look at that Accurate Molds’ 180grain version of the EPP/UG for a lightweight alternative. Worth a gamble, as the regular 154grain EPP/UG’s appear to work stellar in RoachCreek’s Ranger.

roachcreek
    Participant

I am not a gambling man, now there are a lot of people who would disagree with that considering some of lifes adventurers I have been on.

The EPP UG is a nice bullet, but it is a name that is hard to say. 😆

Last night I was getting together an order for Tuesday morning, when I was looking thru the Midway mold section and I saw a 165 grain 452 RF bullet in a double cavity mold for less than $20.00, I already have a RB mold in the cart and I added the RF bullet, anyone ever had experience with that one?

Regards,

Roachcreek

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 187 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.