Skip to toolbar
Taipan Laminate airgunUragans airgun

XP airguns ranger 45 caliber 36inch barrel MONSTER !

Home Forums Other Guns Other Guns XP airguns ranger 45 caliber 36inch barrel MONSTER !

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 187 total)
  • Author
    dan-h
    Participant

i thought i would post and update …. my 36inch Ranger 45 is still going strong !

if you don’t have one … get one ! …. this gun is just AMAZING !

from shooting the round ball on low power to shooting the over 400 grain stuff on high power the gun just rocks !

jdnc
    Participant

I’ve been waiting for over a year for mine (Ranger 45 28″) and now Dan says it will only be a few days. I can’t hardly wait. What alloy have you guys finally settled for? What works as I’m wanting to save time.

JD

roachcreek
    Participant

I am using 30-1 and pure lead in my 415 to 420 grain bullets, weight depending on the alloy.

They drop at around 453-454 out of my AccurateMold, and I used to size them to .452, but since I have polished the bore I shoot them as they drop and get far better accuracy.

I am considering having the mold HPed, not that I think the design is better or more effecient in killing power than a big wide metplate but I want to reduce weight slightly.

Good to see he is producing guns again any idea what your serial number will be?

Regards,

Roachcreek

jdnc
    Participant

Charlie, I don’t have a clue as s/n. I have several different weight bullets cast (3 diff bullets) from the same accurate mold with 40:1. The heavy ones being 375 gr. and also 307 and 235 gr. All FB with wide meplat.

By the way..how did that sprue cutter lube work for you? Hell I’ve been gone so long I’ve forgot all I learned from you guys.

JD

jdnc
    Participant

RC, I could send you some of the. 375gr to try before you HP your mold if you like.

JD

jdnc
    Participant

RC…it’s a Accuratemold 46-400B. It drops 375 gr. 0.452 nominal dia. I can’t remember the exact dia now, I’ll have to mic some.

jdnc
    Participant

I just miked the 375 gr. 30:1 bullets at 0.4535 and 370 gr. cast with WW at 0.4540. This is ass backwards as usually I thought the WW would be smaller in dia. Maybe they just filled out better.

roachcreek
    Participant

JD,
    It worked well on my Accuratemold, the aluminum one, but I only use the iron one anymore.

I would like to try some of those 375’s some time.

When you get your gun pmg me the serial number, so I can get an idea on how many he has made.

I do have a 30 caliber upper ordered from him but I don’t know if I will live long enough to see it. 😛

RC

jdnc
    Participant

I’ll send you some as soon as I find time. Glad to here the lube worked out. As for alloys I’ve used a lot of WW over the years and I have also cast some with this mold. Have you tried any hard alloys (20+ bhn )? I figure they might be difficult to seat into the throat but was hoping to use harder bullets as they don’t deform handling as bad. Hell …at these velocities (and cal.) I’m just interested in a hard accurate bullet with a wide meplat. Who needs expansion?

JD

dan-h
    Participant

we went out to shoot the 22’s ,,sumatra…mk300 and the sumatra fired a few times then STOPED ! 😥 … so i started some test could not figure it out … so i tore the whole gun apart and found out the valve had broke in half ! 👿 on the plastic where it goes into the return spring …so i ordered a couple of new ones from pyramyd air … i just got the gun back together tonight and it’s firing again .. 😆 .. it’s interesting how they configured the lever action on that gun … this was the first time i had to take the Sumatra apart … pretty dam reliable gun since i bought it back in 2004-2005

the tech people at pyramyd claim it is the most reliable precharge they sell

does anyone know what size 22 cal bullets …or the molds than can be used for the sumatra ? i have been using cheap crossmans and beeman kodiaks on low power … and on mid power eun jin 28 grain … the gun likes these real well as long as the power wheel is set right for the pellet

dan-h
    Participant

just thought I would shoot and up date on the ranger …. this gun is one of the best … if not the best bb gun out there .. this monster has never let me down just keep the barrel cleen and blast and accurate hole in just about anything you like … or better yet something you don’t like …. :mrgreen:

boonez40
    Participant

nice

tofazfou
    Participant

Hell, is he still making them?

I see so many copies like the new 401 Badger. Looks just like his work on the Corsair.

Has anyone even gotten a new Ranger from Dan.

bogman
    Participant

My impression is Dan is either out of business or does not care about the business. I’ve tried to contact him multiple times, as I’ve had a Ranger on order for almost three years (maybe four). A long time ago, he said my gun would be on the “next build”- that was Feb. of 2014:
    “Is this the exact Ranger you want. still? We can supply a suppressor with Cerakote to match the rest of the action. We get them from Neil Clague and they work very well, especially at lower pressures.
    We have the stocks in several different woods, including laminates.
    I am making up the build sheets for the next batch of airguns, and you will be in it.
    Dan”

All attempts to contact dan by email or phone have failed, very disappointing.

dan-h
    Participant

I have not tried to get ahold of him/Dan in a long time …. since this gun has really filled my big bore needs … I must say the quality of the materials used in this gun are second to none that I know of … every thing about it is over kill as it should be … if they no longer make them I feel very fortunate that I have this one .. Dan is /was a true pioneer of these big bore guns …getting some crazy results from these highly tuned big bore guns … he has the science of these from being and pneumatic engineer way ahead of there time when they first came out …. I had very lengthy talks with him about this … and I was very impressed with how much thought and testing went into every piece of this gun every thing was /is about quality control cnc machined for consistency out of very high quality materials …. I thought 3 months was a long to wait when I bought mine …. very soon after there was a year wait or more …. the 45 is the one to get…. it is the most versatile shooting so many different grains of bullets and round ball … from 416g bullets to 140 g round ball is what I use … with a low and high power … running 4500 psi all the way down to 800 psi still shooting round ball at 800 fps … this gun to me is amazing !

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 187 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.