Q:

Why did you customize your gun the way you did?

We all do it for the same reasons and some for different reasons.

When I went shopping for my first PCP airgun I was looking at price as well as power and a quiet report. I had been looking at the Hornet, Talon SS and chose the Talon due to the ability to make it quiet and the take down feature as well.

When I received the SS I also received my mounts and scope as well as the quick fill. I already had plenty scuba tanks due to paintball. The gun honestly felt like a toy when I first picked it up. It was small and light and I was not to impressed. After mounting the scope and attaching the bottle I like it much better.

After a short period of time it really bothered me that AF would put such a crappy trigger guard and grip on the gun. It would have been easier for everybody it they made it AR15 compatible in the grip area but they didn’t. So I went to work in with my mill and knocked out what I thought was better.

This trigger quard and 1911 style combination allowed me to chose from a variety of grips as well as put a knob on that stupid safety. I decided to paint the grip black and then get it duracoated by YN I have grown to like it even more.

Next on my list was making a nicer end cap for the frame and a better butt plate. It took me a long time to find out how I was going to mount the butt plate without it being obtrusive and out of place. I went through many designs. I was happy with the adjustable butt plate I came up with. It is very strong and does not flex and it adjustable.

I could not believe and still can not believe they secure the little butt plate with a plastic disc and a T nut held on only by the tank cover. BTW the tank cover can be a bear to remove if you dont know how. You can remove the tank cover in a couple of second by blowing air into the back hole with an aircompressor. It will come off like a rocket. The other piece can be removed by blowing air under the edge.

When all was done the gun shot great and was fairly quiet but in the field it could not keep up with my AA 410 Classic in power.

I shot it for a long time when I decide I wanted it to match my AA 410 in the field. I want the guns my son and I used to be comparable so we can shoot at the same long range stuff. When I go shooting with my friend or relative they get a Benjiman to pump…poor suckers as they drool over the guns my son and I are using. I turned to Tony of talontunes to help ge the gun up to speed. I wanted more power but it had to be quieter then the SS and it could not exceed the length of my 410. So, what we cam up with was a comprimise that worked out well, a 16″ barrel for the speed with a vented bushing and a 8″ shroud to keep it quiet but not overly long. It came out better then expected the barrel while 2″ shorter does not sacrifice much power but it does give me more space in the shroud area without making the gun into a lance. I thought I would put the 12″ back in sometimes but I dont see that hapening. The new barrel gives me more flexiblity in velocity and is much more quiet then the baffled SS but with 100 fps faster. I also did some work on the valve as well as put in an overtravel adjustment. I think I will lighten the trigger a hair more to make it perfect. The added trirail I like and it gives me a more heads up postition as well as provide needed rigidity .
I never get tired of looking at it.

So why did you make the modifications you did? Lets hear your story. 😛

General Chat

All Replies

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

Having seen (and felt 😯 ) WOK’s grip in person… I can let the cat out of the bag and announce that its just a prop made from polystyrene…..

Thanks.

sniper782 that’s a very nice HW97 😀 . GREAT JOB ON THAT ONE!!!!!

Adam’s gun was one of the first one’s I fell in love with. And then he made it better. 😀

Adam wrote “Woo hoo…I’m Popular…you like you guys really like me…..lol

Thanks everyone for the compliments. We sure have a bunch of good guys here on Talon Airgun Forum.”

We like your modifications. We’ll hold judgement on you personally until later. I’ll be your friend if you sell me a trigger mod like yours though. AKULA

I’m w Bubba on that grip. haddn’t seen it till now, nice work.

As for mine. .22 cal talon converted to a beech slapp’n .25 w/ L/W barrel and TimW hammer and valve parts.

And though it’s not done yet a chuntsman b51 being .25’d, by porting, and tuned w/ a L/w barrel for same reason.

…..to sling bigger lead for the harder thump 😈 😉

Woo hoo…I’m Popular…you like you guys really like me…..lol 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

Thanks everyone for the compliments. We sure have a bunch of good guys here on Talon Airgun Forum.

WOK, my comment carries as much weight as a party helium ballon but I found your grip conversion the best looking of all that I’ve seen so far.

I agree with you WoK. A compliment from BubaB carries some serious weight. 8) 8)

DH

quote Buba b:

That grip conversion is still the best ive seen ! no one has come close to a better idea ! ……..yet ! 😀

Thanks Buba….that means a lot coming from you. I sit there and just drool looking at your work 😯

quote sniper782:

quote Buba b:

That grip conversion is still the best ive seen ! no one has come close to a better idea ! ……..yet ! 😀

I really like it, but a HK PSG1 grip from an airsoft gun would beat, no offense WOK

Some guys like that target type grip with the palm support….I dont. Lots of AF guns have that style installed and their users like them a lot.

That is what is so fun about these guns….variety 😀

quote Buba b:

I really like it, but a HK PSG1 grip from an airsoft gun would beat, no offense WOK

I tuned my HW97K because I wanted pure precision. The stock? I like BR stock custom paints, a little flashy but you gotta love the way your gun looks.
Result? A unique rifle…

But got tired of it so about the S410.

Barrel: trying to get more power and accuracy.
Moderator: trying to shut her up.
New stock: trying to match the good job 😆
Result: I hope it looks nice but shoot better, expecting something the size of an antiaircraft gun since the S410 is already a big gun and I’ll add more 18/20″ to it.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.