Q:

Who makes a QUIET bullpup?

My only experience with bullpups is a P-12. I like it but don’t find it to be neighbor friendly. The hammer slap is loud and it makes the P-12 sound as loud mechanically as a spring piston air rifle. I want a powerful, accurate, but very quiet bullpup that is both mechanically quiet and has an effective barrel shroud. I’m left handed so would consider the Taipan Mutant, Vulcan, or FX Wildcat if they fit the bill in the quietness department. Crickets and Edguns are out because they are rear cocking and right handed.

BullPup General Chat

All Replies

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Yep I remember Soze’s sound tests.
He tested the Taipan 22. Vulcan 25. & the Edgun 22.

Soze looking forward to your sound test on the shorty too. 😯

quote 218bee:

Well, I was gonna say the Colibri, as mine are very quiet, but I see you’re a lefty, so thats that…

:hoot:

Dear Bumble….

The Colibri is/was an excellent left-handed gun. I’m left handed, and the left side bolt was almost identical to working a bolt action rifle. Both require taking your dominant hand off the trigger to work the action. I owned a left handed Savage 30-06 and the bolt was on the left side. Really nice gun, but sounded as loud as Bed-Wetter’s farts!

Kind Regards,

Uncle Hoot:

218bee , it dosen’t matter if you are left handed or right handed , quiet will always be quiet unless you breathe too heavy .

Well, I was gonna say the Colibri, as mine are very quiet, but I see you’re a lefty, so thats that…

:hoot:

Almost all good quality air guns can be made “hammer slap” quiet if the shroud/ moderator volume is large enough to depressurize the muzzle blast to a slow release.

Venting shrouds with small holes at the base of the shroud relieves some air pressure without making any sound. The baffles are there to interrupt the air flow from the muzzle and reduce the sound. Seldom will a shroud alone make the more powerful air guns silent…just too much air pressure needed to get those larger or heavier pellets up to speed. In such guns a moderator is required on the shroud to expand and slow the release of air from the barrel.

The smaller the caliber the easier it is to quiet them down, because there is much less air volume involved in getting a small pellet up to high velocity.

Hoot:

The quietest bullpup I have ever owned is the Taipan standard. The gun is backyard friendly at 30 foot pounds. Add a 1/2 UNF with an LDC and its beyond quiet. There is no ping and from 5 feet an observer cannot hear the gun. I wouldn’t bullshit about quiet. I have an insane neighbor that wants to nurse squirrels back to health if they are hit by a car. Get the Taipan and don’t look back. It is an excellent bullpup.

I love my Vulcan .22 from Tony of TalonTunes.
The price is good but if you order more Tony could work up a good deal.
Add a scope and a bipod and some ammo and get it over with. Don’t loose another nights sleep, just do it.

From what I have been told the 177 is the quietest, In just about all PCPs
I have Crickets 22 and 25 , I would call back yard friendly ,
Sometimes shooting a PCP gun it sounds loud due to your head sitting right next to the gun,,,
Twenty feet away and it just sounds like a slap of a 2×4 and that’s the pellet impact not the gun…
Loads of information on here keep asking and reading.
Mike

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.