What we need to get it right….!

Home Forums AirForce General Chat What we need to get it right….!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    walkonking
    Participant

We are alway trying to upgrade our guns and one thing that really needs to be improved is the attachment point of the butt plate. Behind the bottle cover and the tank is a plastic disc with a metal T-Nut the butt pad screws into.

So what we need is people looking for an alternative. What would be ideal is a metal disc or some other material that we can use for attachment.

So lets all look for something to replace that plastic disc so our butts will be secure…LOL

riffraff
    Participant

I kind of like the setup rabbits has in his signature pic. Looks like it uses a custom clamp setup, cant really tell.

I havent looked at the disk myself, how is the disk itself attached to the bottle?

rob3dr
    Participant

The disk is attached to the bottle simply by the cover. Once the cover is removed, the disk falls out… or in my case, the two halves of the disk fell out.

the cover is on pretty tight so the disk doesnt move, but yes, it is a weak point in the gun.

mikemv
    Participant

Yep, disc just sits there. They can crack out over time. On one I had I flowed some epoxy over the surface into the cracks etc and let it cure. Seemed to hold well.

If your bung seems loose check the security or you may have an accident 😀 😀 😀

walkonking
    Participant
    quote RiffRaff:

I kind of like the setup rabbits has in his signature pic. Looks like it uses a custom clamp setup, cant really tell.

I havent looked at the disk myself, how is the disk itself attached to the bottle?

That clamp is trick. To make that clamp it would cost probably about $50-75 just for the clamp. You need a large block of aluminum and a rotary table and a lot of mill time.

shadoh
    Participant

Well, you could extrude it like they do the frame. Slot one side and drill and tap a tightening stud. The other side would get drilled for buttplate hole/pin. Thats if AF was gonna mass produce them. If you talking low numbers or one offs then your gonna have to stick to the high costs and lots of labor and love.

walkonking
    Participant

Shadoh,

If we can find a metal disc or Carbon fiber already being produced for another reason then we can adapt it to our guns. I just have not been able to find a metal disc the right diameter.

mikemv
    Participant

Sorry,, I didn’t read your note with care. I’ll keep an eye out and think about alternatives.

cuda
    Participant

Anyone know someone who cast thier own aluminum. There are alot of people who do casting at home. They make thier own sand cast molds for anything that they need or want to make. Someone may know someone who has a furnace and could cast the parts cheap. Check out backyardmetalcasting.com it will give you an idea what they do.

eamo
    Participant

Perhaps the band that secures a aftermarket motorcycle exhaust ?

They can be got in carbon fiber , in various dimensions for different cans

Just a thought 🙄

bodhisdad
    Participant

Check your PMs Adam, i may have an idea to solve the issue.

bodhisdad
    Participant

I think i got a solution to the problem. I just noticed my plastic disk is cracked in 3 places. First is a 2d” washer with a 5/8″ hole next is a tee nut 10-24 is the best i could do, factory is 10-32. Place teenut behind washer and epoxy into place. The te nut has 3 small holes in it which make centering very easy viola, done. Heavy duty butt stock base plate. What do you guys think. Last pic shows how it would be set in place. under $2.00 mod.

Now how would one get this into place???

walkonking
    Participant

I had the same idea but could not find a washer the same size as the tank. How big is the diameter of that washer. Also it needs to be thicker or the it will probably dig into the cover being so thin.

You are on the right track. Maybe two washers together with the tee nut sandwiched in between.

Keep working on it!

mikemv
    Participant

Ran into discs made of steel or aluminum, 2″, 2.375 and 1/8 to 3/16″ thick. No hole.

walkonking
    Participant

What is the diameter of the tank? We need a disk that size

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.