what scope to use for a lighter gun?

Home Forums General Optics/Nightvision what scope to use for a lighter gun?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    bugzyrau
    Participant

i have a condor with a 24″ barrel, stock and a big silencer (it’s light enough and i dont consider it a weight problem). then i tooked out the bipod (airforce) amd i’m thinking of getting out the sinthetic hand grip from the gun. but my biggest problem is the scope. i have a hawke sidewinder 30 6-24×56. it looks nice on gun, it sees even nicer than it looks, but is HEAVY.
    Scope have arround 800grams + rings. my intention is to make my gun as mobile as posible. i was thinking that a new light scope with a big wiev field and a minimal magnification rate would be great… an ACOG sight scope for ex, but i couldn’t find one suited for my 11mm rail, only on 20mm one… so i’m asking you to give me some advice on what scope , or optic device to use (as light as posible)
    thanks in advance

acfguy
    Participant

I use Bushnell Trophy or Legend scopes, or Nikko Stirling. All light, mil dot reticle, and good prices even here in the UK. The 30mm Chinese models are universally heavy and over laden with useless gizmos, like reticle illumination.

acfguy
    Participant

Or Simmons, the Phillipines models not Chinese. ACOG not suitable in my opinion, they are made to aim at man sized quarry and the reticles are suited for military ammo, I believe. Mil dots are very useable for airgun ranges.
    JMO.

secoda
    Participant

I put the Hawke Varmint SF 6-24×50 on my Marauder replacing the Hawke Sidewinder Tactical to lighten it. It is only about 18 ozs.

bugzyrau
    Participant

indeed i thought that acog reticle it’s not quite suitable for airguning purposes… i tend to believe that bushnel trophy 3-9x would work (reachable in my area)
    thx for your feed-back

acfguy
    Participant

I’ve got a Bushnell Trophy on my HW80, it’s a good sturdy hunting scope, no frills so not much to go wrong. 😀

tominct
    Participant

I have been been looking for a good light scope myself and unfortunately have not found the “one”. I got a sidewinder for my 22. The view through the SW is very pretty but set up that way the gun is getting heavy enough you think it needs wheels. I want something lighter for my 177.

so consider this +1 on the question – what is a good light scope.

acfguy
    Participant

I have had/ used lots of different scopes. I find that the 30mm tube type to be over-heavy for use with air rifles. It’s better to spend a bit more on good quality 1″ tubed optics than waste it on over featured cheap end stuff.
    I consider illuminated reticles to be not worth the extra weight, also big side wheels, extended objective tubes/ sun shades, etc. One exception to my own rule, I have a Bushnell Elite on a Hunter Carbine, but it’s heavy.
    In the US you are lucky to have more availability of Bushnell scopes. Over here when US branded stuff lands it’s often very expensive.
    I would consider any Burris scope or Weaver so long as they have adjustable objectives that can vary parallax.
    The new Hawke Varmints look good but I have yet to handle one, maybe soon.
    Think about any scope you are buying, and consider the weight, often it’s provided with the advertising blurb under “specifications” or “technical” If you are distance buying phone the shop up and ask . Around 350 – 400g is good, but 800+ is too heavy if you are walking/hunting, it’s around 2lb.

07condor22
    Participant

Clearidge RM 3-9×32 MilDot Scope http://www.straightshooters.com/clearidge/clearidge-39×32.html

Weaver 3-9×32 Classic Rimfire Dual X http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=WE849398

Clearidge XP 4.5-14×40 MilDot Scope http://www.straightshooters.com/clearidge/clearidge-4.5-14×40.html

I’ve been looking at these three scopes f0r my RWS 34P. These are 1 inch tube with front parallax. Looked at the Weaver rimfire classic 3-9×32 front parallax. It has a dual x reticle, where I like the mil-dot reticle. These are three you might want to look at.

Sam 😎 😎

bugzyrau
    Participant

another option i would have is a 3x chinese scope , weights around 200g and costs about 20 dollars :))) but the turets move random, clicks are random too, and the reticle is a simple cros , no dots. as an experiment i think it would sufice for the money.

acfguy
    Participant

Will the internals stand up to the recoil forces? In my experience no, not in cheap scopes, but you may get lucky.

07condor22
    Participant

Uh, 20 $ Chen scope-total waste of resources? That’s what I’m using no my RWS 34P for the time being! It holds zero, provided you don’t change magnification! The glare and reflections on the eyebox is very distracting and it’s also like looking through smoke. Oh and sometimes the cross hair turns to an X instead of it normal +. Had this happen a few times, just wait till next day and it normal again.

BTW This is a crosman branded (Leapers) that came bundled with a cheap/chen crosman springer. Lesson learned through trial and wasted resources.

Sam 😯

bugzyrau
    Participant

well u cant expect to so much recoil from a stock condor…
    as a second option (or third?) i’m thinking at leapers bugbuster 4×32… but the mag rate is only 4x…and i could take it at the same money as the bushnell…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.