Q:

What’s a good laser range finder?

I’ve found myself with a little extra cash and want to finally buy a good range finder without completely breaking the bank. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Optics/Nightvision

All Replies

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

I kind of agree with you AKULA. But I have to use a laser when I range a paper target.
When I actually shoot at range, instinct takes over. Thats what happens when you have a cool Dad who starts you when you are 3 years old.
BTW, I usually laser the range after a kill and am usually surprised it was much closer than I thought.

Oh, bushnell crapola is what I use. Works fine for airgun ranges, but if I wanted to trust it beyond 150 yards the target has to be quite large.

Gents; I’d rather lie about the ranges that I shoot than use a laser. A range finder takes the challenge out the equation. So unless you’re a military sniper with a bad guy that needs offing, learn to miss and learn from your mistakes. You’ll have more of a sense of accomplishment once you connect at range.

Then again, with elk tags at a grand in Wyoming for us out of staters, a miss is as good as losing a $1,000.00. AKULA

I bought the Bushnell (aka Nikon) first and it is very weak, even though advertised as an 800 yd ranger it is really a 350 yd only device. The only one that worked as claimed is the Leica 1200, I’ve ranged large targets at over 1000 yds, but since I only shoot out to around 600 yds with a 308, that’s all I need. 700 yds is no challenge for the leica and the optics in the 7x monocle is better than most binocs. It’s a keeper. Every other serious hunter I know did exactly the same thing; bought the cheapo ones and found they hated them after the first season; then moved to the Leicas and were very happy. I recently tried the leupold because it has uphill/downhill tangent correction (necessary for bowhunting) but I couldn’t get used to its really, really, REALLY terrible menu and couldn’t get it to do what I wanted it to do, I returned it for a refund, disgusted wiht it. It ranges just fine, but I can’t get it to switch back and forth between bow/rifle modes.

I bought a Prostaff 550 from BassPro couple weeks ago. I’ve targeted birds on power lines. Buildings through the gaps between tree branches. Still waiting to see how well in works in rain and fog. Has 6X magnification soooooo you must hold it still when sighting small objects at distance.

I bought a Nikon Prostaff 550 a few weeks back. Works great. I can range birds on a wire out to about 70 or so yards (at least thats as far as I’ve tried).

Nuglor, Natchezes has a sale on Bushnell,Nikon,Leupuld and Brunton range finders. I just got the e-mail and it’s a good sale.

Leupold for me. 13 different reticules in one + True Ballistic Range feature if you are really into it.

I have the same one as Adam and it’s been working out great. The price was to good to pass up.

After my second Bushnell Yardage Pro died (display failure) and they wanted more than I paid to fix it (although they did offer a discount on a much more powerful unit I didn’t want, who needs a thousand yards with airguns?) I did some research.

The Nikon wins on small size, good service record and half yard steps (to 100 yards). It really will fit in a shirt pocket. Very easy to use.

The only negative might be the ‘funny’ battery, but it does a bunch of ranging and I keep a spare in my shooting kit.

I recommend the Nikon, something I can’t do for the YP.

Doug Owen

I use a Stanley TLM100 Fat Max Leica Distance Measurer, laser based, Leica internals, great deal when compared to the Leica laser measurers. Accurate to within 1/8″ at 3″ or 500′.

Not sure what hunting based rangefinder I would use…

But the Stanley is a killer deal.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.