Skip to toolbar
Taipan Laminate airgunUragans airgun

What makes it a Talondor?

Home Forums AirForce General Chat What makes it a Talondor?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    jagchaser
    Participant

Im about to pull the trigger and get an airforce rifle but I have a few questions.

I hear people talking about a talondor. Is it a talon with a condor valve or some other hyped up valve or is there a lot more to it? I don’t see anything described with that name for sale anywhere so Im wondering if its just a nickname for a converted talon. If so, what is the benefit of converting the talon to a larger valve instead of converting a condor to a larger valve?

Im torn between a used talon tunes AAA condor in 25 and a new condor with randy’s extreme valve in 257. I really want to be able to mold my own slugs like I do for my recluse, and Im not sure what options would be out there for 25 molds.

tofazfou
    Participant

Heeeey, don’t be talking about MY GUN sir!!!!!! LOL

But seriously, the TALONDOR was coined by me. I bought a Talon 22 many years ago then upgraded the system with a condor valve from Airforce. I then modded that valve over time. I then made it .250 cal by simply buying a new barrel. So i then had me a 25 cal pellet thumper. it was making right at 80 FPE using 42 and 36 gr Eun Jins.

I then bought myself a Rapid 25 and the HALF Talon HALF Condor was retired for some years.

That is till i met Doug Noble here on the TAG forum. He was an aspiring machinist…..lol! He’s gonna kick my butt for saying that.

In short, he offered up his services cause he was working on a 308 Condor project and i had already had the idea of 257 from my good buddy RJ Porter who owned a Haley 257 Scandalous. And i knew about the barrels that were on the Scandelous (people in the AF community are really good at secrets) so i had to have me a 257.

Once Doug finished my gun, i named it TD257 or TALONDOR 257 meaning half condor (Dougs custom Condor valve) and half Talon (Standard Airforce frame).

you can check out my Youtube channel and or my Blog to hear more about her. She is EVER EVOLVING and now wheres a great MAD DOG STOCK. OH MY, what do i call it now?

salticon
    Participant

MadTalonDor257

jagchaser
    Participant

Tofazfou, I have been watching your videos for quite awhile and it is where I first heard the term. I have seen other people using that same name for theirs and it made me wonder if it was just a good nickname. I am not really interested in shooting a QUARTER MILE!!!, but I do love the idea of having a longer range coyote gun than my recluse.

Why would you first choose the talon to convert and not the condor, is the talon for some reason a better platform? The reason I ask is because Randy doesn’t offer 257 on any talon frame, only the condor frame. I asked him a bunch of questions yesterday, so many I feel too guilty to call and bug him more until I order!

saltwaterslick
    Participant
    quote Salticon:

MadTalonDor257

Or a TalonDorDog257 :suprisedn: :suprisedn: :mrgreen:

wildfire
    Participant

I just call mine a Talon-Dor because it’s a Talon frame with a Condor powerplant!
    Wildfire :5:

markc
    Participant

Tofaz do you have any info/pictures of how the Talondor shot when it was running at 80 FPE ?, That is what im really looking for out of mine also I am tring to source a FX barrel in .25 ST.

jagchaser
    Participant

Reading your blog about the .257 I see that you just converted it because you had it. So no real downfall to using a stock condor to do the same type of project with?

salticon
    Participant
    quote MarkC:

Tofaz do you have any info/pictures of how the Talondor shot when it was running at 80 FPE ?, That is what im really looking for out of mine also I am tring to source a FX barrel in .25 ST.

ccheck out his youtube channel!

markc
    Participant

Have done only shows it in current power form

dman1114
    Participant
    quote MarkC:

You Planning on shooting JSB’s at 1190 FPS? I don’t think that they are accurate at them speeds. The JSBs are about the only pellet that shoot good through the ST bore.

Hell with that FX overpriced crap. Get you a .25 TJS barrel

markc
    Participant

I was looking at using BARACUDA HUNTER EXTREME 28.4 grain but if not ill re think, You say the ST barrel are overprized crap ? How much are the .25 TJS barrel and I would have to import it to uk.

Thank you

tofazfou
    Participant

Back then, i simply bought the Talon cause it was cheaper.

If i had it all over to do again, i would have started out with the Condor Frame as opposed to Talon. THe Condor also because the frame looks better than the Talon frame when in THE 257 configuration. Longer barrel and such. The condor is the better option.

I had a bunch of videos and pics of groups from waaaay back then but my EFFIN external hard drive crashed and i lost years of videos and pictures of all the stuff i did back in the day.

At 80 FPE, the best the gun shot was with SUREFIRE slugs. The Black Mambas as they are now called from AAA TONY at Talon Tunes. The SureFire slugs can kill anything……lol!

Not really sure about tonys guns in 257 or if he makes one. But i know that RandL does along with the valving. So i would say Randy and RandL for 257.

And let me say this about the 257………if you guys want REAL performance from this caliber, DON”T SETTLE or try and take a 25 Condor and port it and think that you are gonna push these bullets. ITS A 257 and it needs to be PUSHED. OVer a 1000 fps and FASTER is best with the LYMAN 257420 bullets. If you want a carbine or bullpup 90 FPE 257 then you should stick with shooting a stock condor and Black Mamba slugs. You get to a point where things just don’t make since. The 257 deserves to have its legs stretched. When you power it up, you quickly understand why the 257 is soooooo popular in the PB world.

Mine goes from 160-180+ FPE and it starts to really bother my 7mm sometimes at only 230 FPE……lol! Especially when i shoot 100 gr SPITZERS in the 257! Yeah, the 7mm and the 257 have this love hate thing going on……….. :butkick:

ohhhhhh yeah, speaking of names, the new names is…………………………………………………………..MATADOR 257! :fishing:

Come on, how could you guys have NOT beat me to this one :rofl:

markc
    Participant

:biggrinn: Matador 257 < love it

Where I shoot/work I have big valleys full of vermin mainly wabbit ,but there are plenty of birds and fox and would love to get a 257 and hammer some pesky varmints.

I have bought another Airforce/Gunpower storm think you call this a condor ?, I also have the Stealth /Talon ? both will be tuned .

But I do like this idea a lot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb0OXiu79_M

jagchaser
    Participant

That’s pretty much exactly what I went ahead and ordered yesterday, at least as close as a person can get just ordering. Condor with Randy’s extreme valve, .257 700mm barrel. He said it shot 885-875fps (I think that’s what he said) Shooting the 74grain FN. 125fpe I think he said. I have the lyman 257420 mold on its way also. I will probably send it off to have at least one hp point added to it.

Im curious what kind of speed it will have with that smaller slug.

He said the barrel will still need lapped, but Im not sure of what else I may need to do to coax more out of it. Im sure I will find out as I get into this thing!

Cant wait for Friday!! I may have to call the UPS guy on his cell so I can meet him earlier in the day! lol

Oh, does the shroud have any slowing effects on the slug?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.