Washers in shroud

Home Forums AirForce General Chat Washers in shroud

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    jooleyen
    Participant

I am going to try quieting my Talon SS down. I bought 1/4″ hole fender washers and I’m being told to drill them to 5/32″. 😕 Isn’t that impossible?

I took the endcap off and the spring doesn’t fit in the shroud! It’s too large. I’ve been reading and it seemed the best choice was to a get 1″ in diameter spring.

y
    Participant

1″ outside diameter springs will give the best fit.

1/4″ hole 1″ Outside diameter washers can be used as is.

Whoever told you to drill a 1/4″ hole to 5/32 was either pulling your leg or made a mistake.

bodhisdad
    Participant

I told him, as i ended up clipping my endcap with the 1″ x 1/4″ fenders. With the 5/32 hole i haven’t clipped a thing and its still just as quiet. the only othe rthing i have in there is copper tubing used as spacers. The nick on the washer told the story.

y
    Participant
    quote Bodhisdad:

I told him, as i ended up clipping my endcap with the 1″ x 1/4″ fenders. With the 5/32 hole i haven’t clipped a thing and its still just as quiet. the only othe rthing i have in there is copper tubing used as spacers. The nick on the washer told the story.

Bodi…..

5/32 = 0.156″

Thats quite a bit smaller than the .25 hole he has in the washers right now……….

Not sure how he’s going to drill the hole smaller, and once thats done, how he’s going to squeeze a .177 let alone a .22 through a .156″ hole.

volsr1
    Participant

I think he means 9/32

steveinla
    Participant

Home Depot didn’t stock the proper diameter springs, so I wound up at a real hardware store. They did have the perfect diameter springs, but I had to cut them down. I used my 4″ Makita grinder.

The cut off/grinding, (to square off the cut end), process seemes to have removed the temper, (no suprise), and the springs have compressed somewhat inside the frame. Now when I shake the gun, I can hear the springs sliding back and forth. I guess that I’ll take up this space with a few more O rings.
    Yes, everything was snug before I began to shoot it whit the spring/washer modification.

The fender washers that I bought at the same time have 0.276″ holes with outside diameters around 1.011″. I had calculated that 0.246″ holes properly centered would be best for stripping away the air blast. Is there a desired diameter? I have some 1″ diameter fender washers with 1/8″ holes that I could drill out if necessary. Not my first choice as drilling thin stock is always dicey at best.

This reduced the report to a point where the hammer noise is more prominent than the report, but it is not the pfft sound that some of you have talked about. Is it necessary to drill holes in the forward barrel bushing to achieve that low noise level?

I noticed that Cygnus X’s video, Super Fast”, that the hammer noise is the only thing you hear. Is that what I’m supposed to have in the end?

walkonking
    Participant

I have used the stock fender washers and did not have to drill them any larger.

Now remember unless you have a lathe you are going to have a tough time getting a hole drilled out larger and have it be exactly center. You can do it on a mill, but then again I have digital readout and a edge finder.

steveinla
    Participant

I’m impressed! (with the mill and digital readout). No wonder you guys do such beautiful work. But seriously, is there a desired diameter? .22 pellets are 0.212″, so what is the optimal baffle diameter? Is there one? Or is drilling the forward bushing the key?

bodhisdad
    Participant
    quote volsr1:

I think he means 9/32

exactly, thanks bud shouldn’t post when on first cup of coffee. I sent Jool all the pics i have on baffles, ldc designs, quite a variety, everything all the guys have come up with. Sorry Jool for the misinfo.

Adam didn’t have trouble with the 1″ fender washers and the 1/4″ hole, i did, don’t know how many others do or do not. I have caught clippers more then once so i decided to drill the hole out a bit. Is it perfectly centered? i used my drill press vice and its close. Have not caught a clipper since. The important thing is when you look from the brech up towards the end cap that you see no obstructions. The fenders i get at Ace i can see the edge all the way around, hence the drilling.

Steve, yes if you vent the bushing, frame and get the baffle arrangement right you get hammer slap and pellet impact, “Twack”. The baffles get you about half way the venting of the bushing and frame get you the rest of the way. I and others then wrap a scotchbrite pad around the barrel between the bushings to muffle things a bit more. Its still decieving and sounds louder then if you were standing 10′ away.

Silence is golden.

steveinla
    Participant

Vent the frame? How and/or where do you vent the frame?

y
    Participant

There shouldnt be much if any difference in noise between 9/32 (0.28) and 1/4″ baffles. I’ve even used .308 baffles and they didnt sound any louder than .25

I use 1″ OD and 1/4″ ID and never had a problem, Cygnusx uses washers I gave him and he never had a problem either. Not to say it doesnt exist – I’ve had problems with clipping on my Logun Mod and thats a 1/4″ hole and I’ll likely enlarge it a bit.

1″ washers should be snug but not tight, I cant get two to go in sideways at 90 degree’s to the frame next to each other but they slide in by themselves no problem, if you can then they are too small and that might be part of the clipping problem. Might be undersized washers.. or an oversized ID frame.

I’d suggest trying it with the 1/4 and see if you notice any clipping which will show up as poor accuracy and/or clipping which will leave little shards of lead in the frame. If you get that then drill them out a bit.

Needs a sharp bit to do cleanly, I’ve done it in the past for other shrouds when I couldnt find the size washer I wanted and it works out ok in drill press. I drilled way more than I needed and picked the best examples.

walkonking
    Participant
    quote Yellow Ninja:

There shouldnt be much if any difference in noise between 9/32 (0.28) and 1/4″ baffles. I’ve even used .308 baffles and they didnt sound any louder than .25

I use 1″ OD and 1/4″ ID and never had a problem, Cygnusx uses washers I gave him and he never had a problem either. Not to say it doesnt exist – I’ve had problems with clipping on my Logun Mod and thats a 1/4″ hole and I’ll likely enlarge it a bit.

1″ washers should be snug but not tight, I cant get two to go in sideways at 90 degree’s to the frame next to each other but they slide in by themselves no problem, if you can then they are too small and that might be part of the clipping problem. Might be undersized washers.. or an oversized ID frame.

I’d suggest trying it with the 1/4 and see if you notice any clipping which will show up as poor accuracy and/or clipping which will leave little shards of lead in the frame. If you get that then drill them out a bit.

Needs a sharp bit to do cleanly, I’ve done it in the past for other shrouds when I couldnt find the size washer I wanted and it works out ok in drill press. I drilled way more than I needed and picked the best examples.

You are correct not all 1″ fender washers are 1″ and the same for he ID. If there is clipping then boring out the ID is needed. If not then they are good to go.

synopsys
    Participant

I have found the inside of my shroud to be just over 1″, a little electrical tape around the edge of the washer could help the fit and prevent any rattle from metal on metal contact… Plus it should center the washer so the hole is aligned to the barrel…

jooleyen
    Participant

The fender washers are snug, but not tight. No matter how much you shake the gun, the entire hole is aligned with the barrel (I checked from the breech) so I don’t think clipping will be a problem. The o-rings, however, are way too large and need to be bent in order to fit into the shroud. I’ll measure the shroud with a caliper and find a spring with a snug fit at Ace or something. Then I can just assemble it in a specific order and stick it in right? I’m guessing I need to have enough so that there is no slack in the shroud and the springs and stuff is tight against the endcap.

I need help with one thing though. How do I square off the ends of the springs? I don’t have a blowtorch, but my dad can grind it flat (would it be better to grind it so it’s round so that the edges of the sqares aren’t there?) with a diamond blade grinder/cutter.

Thanks

walkonking
    Participant
    quote jooleyen:

The fender washers are snug, but not tight. No matter how much you shake the gun, the entire hole is aligned with the barrel (I checked from the breech) so I don’t think clipping will be a problem. The o-rings, however, are way too large and need to be bent in order to fit into the shroud. I’ll measure the shroud with a caliper and find a spring with a snug fit at Ace or something. Then I can just assemble it in a specific order and stick it in right? I’m guessing I need to have enough so that there is no slack in the shroud and the springs and stuff is tight against the endcap.

I need help with one thing though. How do I square off the ends of the springs? I don’t have a blowtorch, but my dad can grind it flat (would it be better to grind it so it’s round so that the edges of the sqares aren’t there?) with a diamond blade grinder/cutter.

Thanks

You can grind it flat and sometime a little bending with with some needle nose you can get it bent flat if the wire is not to large.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.