Skip to toolbar

Upgrade good’ol 4500 psi ShoeBox to Belt Drive

Home Forums General Compressors, tanks and pumps Upgrade good’ol 4500 psi ShoeBox to Belt Drive

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    lurker-1
    Participant

NO NEED TO REMOVE THE AIR BLOCK ❗
    The intermediary gear mechanism ?Jack Shaft? (my bad hearing) can be patiently removed out the hole for the motor. It just takes gentle turning and tilting. No pounding or prying, put that hammer and crowbar away ❗ The sprocket on the back of the air block is easily remover and the Belt Pulley easily installed with the belt in place. The air block shaft needs the flats for the set screws extended slightly and that was easily done with a Dremel grinding stone. No, it’s not as pretty but it works just as well.

If you can’t do it ask some old man for help :rofl:
    I’ve had the Air block out before and it would be just a little extra work but I’ve been known to find short cuts in taking things apart and this was no exception. And, my way you don’t have to be concerned with piston alignment.
    My old 4500 PSI ShoeBox #286 is much quieter now. Sorta like an old hospital air pressurizer (suck…plup…suck…plup). Well at least until it starts tapping the off switch.

Of course I had problems testing my upgrade because although I hooked up the oil-less pre compressor I forgot to plug it in. Damn electricity travels a hunert miles to get here but can’t get 3 inches from the outlet to the plug without my help ❗ The Shoebox tried hard but just as if the hoses had bad foster connector o/rings or loose connectors as have plagued me as of late, it needed it’s required 85 psi input.

The only really hard part of doing this upgrade was re-adjusting the shutoff for 4500 to 4600 psi. BELIEVE ME, the ShoeBox will easily do over 5000 psi if you let it ❗ My problem was that I haven’t installed the hardened pistons yet and the early production ones get dimpled by the set screw. Sometimes tightening causes it to move to the previous indented spot.
    I have the hardened pistons on hand but, I find it easier to recover from one screwup at a time :rofl:

Note: If you could find someone willing to let go of the earlier model 4500 psi ShoeBox compressor you can save a chunk of change and have a very serviceable unit. Whatever you get it will eventually need some service. The ShoeBox is fairly simple to work on and well supported.

zonk
    Participant

Very good Ed!! I wish you would have taken pictures throughout this process.

lurker-1
    Participant

I took pictures for memory purposes but they arent good enough except maybe the complete with nolonger needed chain parts…

OOOPS…That mouse was approaching my back steps

zonk
    Participant

and you didn’t shoot the little bastard??

lurker-1
    Participant

Nah, that gun/camera is mounted where it can only shoot a 6′ tall predator.
    How do you like the goalpost crosshair design I made for it ❓

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.