Skip to toolbar
Taipan Laminate airgunUragans airgun

Tuxing Nightmare

Home Forums General Compressors, tanks and pumps Tuxing Nightmare

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    jman2311
    Participant

So I know I have seen many reviews of the Tuxing style compressor that have been favorable. After last night I have had just about enough of mine. It works but has been nothing but one problem after another.

1.) When I recieved my compressor it was packaged pretty well but form the get go I thought the unit vibrated unusally loud. At first I figured it just is what it is. After 3 or so fills one of the screws on the side towards the rear backed out and I learned that the cast iron mount at the rear of the motor had broken. I contacted LJ high pressure co and they were kind enought to send me a replacement motor mount and fan blade. That was not a very simple repair. I had to desolder the wiring to get the job done and of course rewire it. I opted for spade terminals with a bit of solder to lock it in thinking that that would be a bit more robust. Problem fixed, sort of. All of the vibration caused the screws on the front side of the compressor to hollow out enough that the screws couldn’t be torqued down. I had to drill new holes and using 10-24 socket head srews with nylock nuts to hold together the front of the compressor.

2.) I had issues after about 3 fills where the unit would get to about 3000 to 3300psi and the unit would begin surging and trip the overload. I tore the unit down to try and find the problem. I was unable to find anything after a few attempts but eventually changed out the brass piston rings. The seemed to be the ticket because after that it began working again. Ok, not too serious but I am starting to get irritated with the constant failures.

3.) Just a few days ago my switch stopped functioning, like at all. Again, No big deal, just replace it. However, I couldn’t source a like for like part so I used a generic industrial toggle switch. I made sure it was rated for 20A and once installed all was well again. I couldn’t mount the receptical and switch back onto the unit so now they reside outside of the unit with rubber tape and electrical tape wrapped about the terminals to keep everything as safe as possible. At this point I am starting to call this thing the frankencompressor but it still works at building pressure.

4.) Last night was the last straw. At maybe 1.5 to 2 hours of life runtime total, I am doing a routine fill on 68cu in paintball tank that I take to the field with my Priest. I started at 3800psi on the tank and hooked it up to the compressor. I was monitoring the fill as usual and I peeked in on the gauge on the compressor, at about 4300psi, and the gauge on the tank at about 4500psi. I decided that I would shut the unit off. With my face maybe 9 inches from the head of the compressor, reaching for the pressure relief screws, The fucking burst disk blows. I didn’t know that at the time but the vent hole on the cap was pointed right at my face and I took a 4000+psi blast right to the left cheeck. After hitting the ground in shear fear and thinking the whole damn thing blew up in my face I turned the unit off. I took a moment to try and fucked with my ear for a moment to try and silence the ringing I decided FUCK THIS THING!!!

5.) I woke up early this morning and figured I would try to replace the burst disk and give it a test. At least this time I can be prepared for the worst. ear pro, safety glasses, a board in front of me as a shield just in case. I replaced the burst disk and torqued down the cap. Put the plug into the whip and went for a test. It wouldn’t build pressure at all. Inspection of the whip I noticed an o ring had blown out… Ok replace that and try again. Everything looks good, pressure building, getting close to 4000psi, 4100psi, and BAM!!! new disk blows out at about 4100-4200PSI. Replace it again. Give her one last chance. Same shit. Disk blows out at 4100ish PSI. I have one disk remaining so I figured that now I have a cdompressor capable of about a 3500PSI fill. Pretty short for me considering my priest like a 300bar fill and when your reg is set at 150bar, 3500PSI just doesn’t yeild the shot count that I bought the gun for in the very first place.

I have seen many favorable reviews for the compressor and I am not one to give a bad review often but seriously, be as careful as you can with these units. If you start to get a cascade of problems, think hard for a moment if you should continue putting it into operation, I think my luck with this thing has run out. I am going to try and see if I can exchange or get a replacement unit and chock this one up to just being a bit of a lemon but I seriously doubt LJ will be able or willing to do anything about it. I hope I am wrong.

guykuo
    Participant

Yikes. Glad you didn’t get hurt.

donnyfl
    Participant

Do you have too much grease in there? On my Omega there’s a knob that you turn to inject more grease. Well I didn’t know and screwed in too much. The grease at really hot temperatures does a lot of damage to the parts just before the burst disk. The parts got deformed and my burst disk bursted 2x. I called up AOA and talked to Todd and he told me to remove some of the grease and that did the job. No more issues after that.

jman2311
    Participant

There isn’t any grease on these little compressors. Just the oil in the crankcase. The company in ali I bought it from thinks I am over torquing the brass cap but I did essentially what they recommended before they told me. Hand tight then half a turn. I am just beyond frustrated at this point and just going to use my hill pump til I get a new one or go another route.

mjp
    Participant

Oh what a bummer, glad you didn’t get hurt.
    Any chance that you have gotten wrong rated burstdisk? Should not blow under 5k for sure.
    All the things that has been wrong with your unit, you should get some kind of refund.

Marko

jman2311
    Participant

A member on GTA measured his disks at .007 and I measured mine at .008. Those disks blow at 4100ish. He had to double his up and monitor like hell. I fear doing this but I may do that and make a blast shield for it just in case. I have requested to LJ 3 times now to work with me on an exchange or send me another unit. They keep offering to send parts. I am very tempted to just cut my losses and get a Yong Heng boutique style. Those are getting many favorable reviews as well. Looking at their design I believe they may be better. Looking at all of the options I see China everywhere so I don’t regard these small guys to be inferior but mine has been a real PITA.

mjp
    Participant

Buy couple of 5k psi disks from paintball shop an use one of those, I’m pretty sure its a material error in your disks you have.
    And what ever parts the dealer is willing to ship accept them, I’m not so sure about buying some other brand, you have sorted some of the weak points on yours.

What if second brand isn’t any better?

Just a thought.

Marko

jman2311
    Participant

The issue with paintball burst disks is that they are a one piece design with a 3/8×24 thread. The disks on these chinese compressors are just a 1 cm copper plate with a M10x1 threaded cap. I would need to machine an adapter.

huntjunky
    Participant

How much will you sell the Frankentuxing for? :fishinghole:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.