Q:

Trials and tribulations of the 25 LBT

I was shooting my 25 LBT this weekend and trying different things to get better groups at 260 yards.

Changing winds both with right to left and headwinds vrs tailwinds always having me correcting my POA, or chasing the frontsight as I phrase it, something I have done for litterally decades in long range shooting.

In the end I shot the best group out of the rilfe on a tethered,4.5 inches for 5 shots, prone without bipod postion.

I had seen or thought I saw a higher POA with the Harris bipod, and when I took it off it dropped the POI of the groups.

Monday night I checked my sight settings and whoa, I really had that cranked up. I double checked with Handloads.com ballistic calculator and found according to it, I was in the mid 850 FPS range, so yesterday morning I chronied it and I was in fact in the mid 850 range. Air usage was also down.

I at first suspected a leaded barrel and yes there was leadinging there after 240 shots of lightly lubed cast bullets, what do you expect?

So I cleaned it, and it changed nothing on the chrony.

Groups were still good, so it must be the breech o rings, I did the tissue trick and nope that was not it.

So last night I put in a fresh spring and changed the hammer, and basically I am going with a full set of Airarcher parts, with the exception of the PW which is not used on the AirArcher. I also set the top hat out from 1.1 to 1.3.

I shot it this morning on paper at 35 yards over the chrony. I went from 0 up to 8 on the pw and settled on 3. The three setting gives me @3200 940, 930, 925,920FPS and then drops into the 875 range, which is outside of where I want it and time for a refill.

And it is still a tack driver.

What caused it?

Perhaps the same thing that caused Lydon Johnson,George Bush, Tom Delay,Kay Bailey Hutchinson, Herman Cain and Rick Perry to go astray, something Ron Paul has been vacinated for being a MD and all.

Those little Texas wind/dust gremlins that got packed in with the gun when it was made in Texas, they fuck with the AF guns and conservative politicains brains.

If you doubt me review Perry’s performance on the Debates andHerman Cains dick trails. 😛

Regards,

Roachcreek

Airforce Rifles/Pistols

All Replies

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You’re probably right! On both counts.

Unless you turn the thing yellow or blue, there’s not much indication what you might have done to temper…

I hope you soaked up all my bad ju-ju. I’ve got a hugely expensive test in the works and started thinking about all the things that I don’t control that could go wrong… spent the whole day knocking on wood!

Jerry,

I had shortened the spring and heated it up to resquare the end, I think I ‘done desprung it’. 🙄

Luckily as always I had spares.

But mostly I think it was your fault asshole for saying yesterday how well it had held up to that power, you jinxed it. 😛

RC

So, somewhere you dropped a hundred fps and there’s no “smoking gun?”

I thought the spring you had in there was fairly new? Any chance that while you were checking out parts you cleaned out something causing hammer drag?

😆

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.