Top hat screws

Home Forums AirForce General Chat Top hat screws

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mattmedic
    Participant

Apoliogies if this has been covered elsewhere but what is the hex size for top hat grub screws? I can’t get any of my hex heys to fit!

Thanks
    Matt

bodhisdad
    Participant

I believe its .5mm a local hardware store should have it. Its the smallest available at mine.

walkonking
    Participant

Take a look in here and see if it is there

http://talonairgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21

mattmedic
    Participant

Many thanks to both of you. I’ve got the info..now to find the hex key but i’ve just ordered a set of both imperial and metric sizes so i’m sure one will fit! Just polished the valve and the breech end of the barrel. Waiting for a new hammer and mainspring 😀

ATB
    Matt

bodhisdad
    Participant

You could also drill out the stem to 1/8″/ or 3.1, 3.2mm this will allow more air to pass through the stem. PROVIDED its a Talon/SS valve. I’ve got a post on it somewhere and ended up with a very consistent reasonable 2fps loss of velocity on avg. Tophat was set at .068 and worked well for my setup, could be yours is .070 or any other near number. Polishing the frame, inside where the hammer rides is worth the effort as well. Every little improvement we make adds 10fps here 15 there, it adds up after a few.

voltar-1
    Participant
    quote Bodhisdad:

I believe its .5mm a local hardware store should have it. Its the smallest available at mine.

The sie is 0.050″ or 1.27mm your pick.
    Don’t go cheap on these as you want quality tools for this job.

mattmedic
    Participant

Thanks guys i’ve managed to get a really good quality set which i’ll have to wait to arrive through the awful post we have here in the UK. I have to be really careful with any modifications i do here to keep it under 12ft/lbs! As i said i’ve polished the barrel to make cocking smoother and i’ve got a new hammer and mainspring coming. The top hat has a couple of patches of rust where the previous owner didn’t look after it so i’m going to take it off and give it a polish.

Interestingly i stripped the gun to polish the barrel and the spacer to preload the spring on my talon is a chunk of steel about 50mm long. I always thought spacers as standard were delrin and much smaller here in the UK. I’m wondering if it is a modification that someone has stuck in. I could do pics if that helps tomorrow.

I think i’ll just have some spacers turned up to my specs to make it easier to adjust the preload 😕

ATB
    Matt

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.