To Pump, or Not To Pump

Home Forums AirForce General Chat To Pump, or Not To Pump

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    steveinla
    Participant

Ok, how many people use hand pumps? How many use scuba tanks? How many use both? I though that I had this covered but fate interveened and I’m back to the drawing board.

Thanks for the feedback in advance. And I do have a sense of humor, so let her rip!

randyhub
    Participant

I use a scuba tank and have a FX pump too for field backup but man is it tough to use. So I would say use a tank way more enjoyable for sure.

Randy

synopsys
    Participant

It took 2, 5 minute fill sessions to go from empty to 2800psi with the pump, then after shooting for a while it took less than a session to go from 2000psi to 3000psi.

More shots and again from 2000psi it only took a few minutes…

The pump is acceptable but when you get above 2500 it gets a bit harder to push down, but I don’t mind, since shooting is SO much fun…

I would imagine a tank would be far easier but then your carrying around the tank to refill after shooting…

I’ll be getting a tank here when the scuba shop has its yearly sale…!!!

martin777
    Participant

My Redneck pumping machine–>

1/2 HP 1750 RPM motor——-10 bucks (later upgraded to a 5.5HP gas engine from my son’s go-kart!) :mrgreen:
    Lawnmower 5sp. trans-axle–FREE
    Misc. parts———————–$30
    Relaxing and watching my beautiful unit
    pump to 200 Bar—–PRICELESS!!!

Video—>HERE :mrgreen:

synopsys
    Participant

😯

*shakes head* “Why didn’t I think of that…”

AWESOME Martin!!!!!! 😯

walkonking
    Participant
    quote martin777:

My Redneck pumping machine–>

1/2 HP 1750 RPM motor——-10 bucks (upgraded to a 5.5HP gas engine from my son’s go-kart!) :mrgreen:
    Lawnmower 5sp. trans-axle–FREE
    Misc. parts———————–$30
    Relaxing and watching my beautiful unit
    pump to 200 Bar—–PRICELESS!!!

Video—>HERE :mrgreen:

Nice, You should go into the “Sex Machine” Buisness 😆

get-the-blue-jay
    Participant

martin, now thats some good old fashion Okie engineering, I love shit like that, it’s almost as if the yard just gave berth to it.
    How fast dose it do its thing, and dose the pump get too hot?

martin777
    Participant

It does 1 stroke/2sec. in 2nd gear–just right! I grabbed 5th once and had to chase that 5.5HP gas bastard down to kill it :mrgreen: –WAY too violent!

Yea that FX pump gets a little hot near 2500PSI and I let it cool a bit before finishing to 3000!

daved
    Participant

Too lazy to pump, and too much hassle getting scuba tanks filled, so I fill from a 4500 psi, 443 cu. ft. industrial nitrogen cylinder. Not real portable, but damn, that tank lasts a long time! Later.

Dave

rob3dr
    Participant

I use my CF tank mainly for my big bores… too much pumping for them. I normally use a hand pump unless I am on an extended shooting session.

With the Talon/Condor… I use the CF tank at first… way too much pumping from empty. I’ll top them off by hand though.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Martin777,

I am impressed by your display of ingenuity.! 8) 8)

DH

steveinla
    Participant

Crike! That oakie pump is great! Now that is good ol’ yankee ingenuity! My friend asked me if I could automate a hand pump. I told him that anything is possible. But that was not what I had in mind at all. I had envisioned something that used either air cylinders or hydraulic cylinders to move the pump handle up and down. Similar to a log splitter design.

Sometimes I think that I am asking a really dumd question only to find out others have had the same questions and solved them brillantly. Hat’s off to you Martrin!

So which pump? I have gotten the idea that the AF pump is a little easier but not as efficient. And that other more efficient pumps are much more dificult to operate.

Thanks

photo22
    Participant

martin That pump setup is right for the job 😯 I Like It!!!!!!

y
    Participant

Nice machine there Martin… 😯

Steve – I had the FX pump but I sold it when I got a 4350psi tank. I got a Hill Pump a few months ago.

The Hill pump is more efficent but you really pay for it in pumping effort. I’d prefer to take a few minutes longer pumping FX than kicking my own ass pumping the Hill a few times if it wasnt for the fact theres next to no support for the FX pumps if something breaks.

skybones
    Participant

Hey Martin,while you’re sitting on that zebra sofa watchin’ this thing work, could you put a little cheese in that trap by the fireplace? lol

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.