Taipan Laminate airgunUragans airgun

Tank Explosion….

Home Forums AirForce General Chat Tank Explosion….

This topic contains 35 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  dwalk29 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author

horus1970

i havnt heard of anyone over filling there bottles past operating pressure,, would be a foolish thing indeed, i posted pic up so people could put there minds at rest knowing it would take a lifetime before these bottles could corrode enough to burst the bottle,,
    my rapid 7 block is same thickness when valve body is removed and you look inside the wall is only the same thickness as bottle and same pressure as bottle, and is the same t6 alloy, so its like saying if you have a early mk1 rapid 7 bin it as it wont be safe,,scaremongering to the highest degree,,
    if your paranoid its simply a case of removing bottle top and shining a maglight in and making sure its still shinny without any corrosion or staining,, thats why nobody in the last 20 years or so has not had a buddy bottle explode on them, also they would need to be tested like scuba bottles if this was an issue,,
    never bought a pcp and read in the manual that buddy bottle has to be replaced every 10 years or whatever,,and ive bought a LOT of pcp,s ha,, been shooting pcp,s since th 90,s 🙂

vipersrt10
    quote X356b:

Viper,

There’s a good article in Wikipedia on this topic. The usual test is to 5/3 working pressure while measuring cylinder volume. If the volume doesn’t return to normal when the pressure is released, the tank is removed from service.

Luxfer advertises a minimum burst pressure of 2.5x working pressure for it’s cylinders. Don’t know about AF cylinders, sourced from Catalina Cylinders, if I remember…

-x356b

Thanks, I’ll check it out

dant55
    Participant

Well pretty much the max you can go is 4500 with a carbon tank..maybe. I understand that most PCP res’s are rated above that by 1/3 and typically in the long direction which puts stress on the threads. Seems like a bad decision on the tank type and fill pressure.

patrick
    quote horus1970:

that tank is a daft thin walled micky mouse one,, i have an origional airforce bottle with damaged threads so i drilled a hole through it on milling machine to see how thick walls were, i was amazed! its VERY thick, im going to use my milling machine with slitting saw fitted and cut bottle in half long ways and will post a pic up for anyone concerned,,
    when you see how thick the walls are you wont worry anymore ha,, thicker than the wall on my rapid block where bottle holder nut screws in and valve area too, will measure wall thickness with vernier when ive chopped it up. 😆

Yes please do show us the AIRFORCEAIRGUN tank I have been concerned over this I have seen on line a firefighters tank blew up it was between both parked fire trucks they were damaged but looked repairable. If I remember tank was very old and blew up because it had been exposed to some chemicals ? Thanks We need our AIRFORCEAIRGUNS since regular guns might soon be banned the way things are going

fva

Just a fwiw, I spoke with the owner of Air Hog back when I ordered my tank from them on the subject of burst strength. Their maker tests at regular intervals during production. Burst happens in the 19,000 + psi range and isn’t that dramatic.

dwalk29

I normally do refills up to 2800 PSI any way…it helps preserve my SCUBA tank supply and does not impart more than designed for stress PSI.

good? bad? … :confusedn: :geekn:

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar