Talondor 25 to shoot slugs

Home Forums AirForce Talon/Talon SS Talondor 25 to shoot slugs

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    airgunmann
    Participant

I decided I want to be able to shoot slugs . I ordered a 24 inch .250 unchoked barrel a shroud from talon tunes . Ordered a extreme flow valve from PCP tunes gen 2 working pressure is supposed to be 3625 to 2900 psi for about 10 shots . I ordered a ace care carbon fiber bottle but it will take awhile to get it so I decided to get a bottle from talon tunes also . I’ll use acecare bottle for different valve I guess

fomen
    Participant

In order to maximize the efficiency of slugs, you’re going to have to do some mods. The new high flow valve and top hat are a good start. But you’re DEFINITELY going to want to remove the choke from your barrel. The LW barrels that AF uses have a .001 to .002 choke at the end. Although this seems insignificant, it can affect accuracy greatly. There’s a rule of thumb for air rifles. Pellets love a choke, bullets HATE a choke. That’s why you NEVER see choked barrels on rimfire or centerfire rifles. I’ve heard you can cut the last inch off your barrel and have it re-crowned by a gunsmith to remove the choke. Or you will have to order a custom barrel w/out a choke. This would be my suggestion for a couple of reasons. #1, you can order a barrel with a 14:1 twist instead of a 16:1 twist. Bullets have a completely different ballistics coefficient than pellets. The higher twist will definitely improve accuracy. ESPECIALLY over distance. Also, with a custom barrel you don’t have to compromise the length of the barrel. The length with equate to more FPE, and improved long range accuracy.

As far as slugs are concerned, I recommend a boat tail round. Perhaps from NOE custom bullet molds. I also recommend an upgrade to your tank. You’ll want a CF tank capable of handling 4500 psi to compensate for the massive change in air dumps from using the higher flow valves.

airgunmann
    Participant

I got a unchoked 24 in .250 barrel on the way . Got a couple different bottles on the way carbon fiber extreme flow valve from PCP tunes and modded the high flow valve I have . Have a couple different springs and hammers on the way and a shroud

fomen
    Participant

Then you’re set. I recommend upgrading your bottle so you can get a higher fill. But don’t think that you can air it up to 4500 psi. If you go that high, you’ll get valve lock. And if you up the hammer weight and power wheel too much to compensate for the valve lock, you will dump air. I have a buddy that has a custom .257 made by Doug Noble. This is the problem he has. There is a MASSIVE bell curve involved with big bores. I’m not saying a .25 is a big bore, but a .257 is, and you’re walking the line with your set up. If you’re shooting .25 slugs, they are going to anywhere between 51 and 61 grains. You’re going to need 90-100 FPE to propel that sucker down range. It’s going to be LOUD! And it’s going to dump air much faster than your current set up. My buddy can only air up his bottle to 3300 psi, and he gets about 7 shots at the sweet spot of the bell curve. But those shots are very accurate, and very flat shooting. He blows ground squirrels in half with it. And he’s hit them at 180 yards.

Just out of curiosity, where did you get your .25 barrel for the AF rifle?

airgunmann
    Participant

Rl air guns had lw unchoked 24 in .250 heavy barrels but no 257 barrels any more . I’ve been talking to Doug Noble about a valve

airgunmann
    Participant

I have a 357 recluse that I hopped up a little slings 105 gr that I cast at like 910 fps and that thing is loud but I only get 3 shots

airgunmann
    Participant

Well I tried the extreme flow valve it started leaking and valve stem popped out I wrote pcptunes about it so we’ll see what they do . Any way I tried my modded hi flow throat opened to 5/16 one piece top hat . Opened the bottom intake port to .350 and polished it tried Nielsen ammo 39 grain 2500 psi fill used a 110 gram hammer and heavy spring 1. 1017 2.1012 3. 1009. Filled tank to 3000 shot some 59 gr with the power adjuster all way backed off 1. 958 threw shot 5.927fps not bad for a hi flow and 24 inch barrel

fomen
    Participant

How was your accuracy? Just curious about groups and distance.

airgunmann
    Participant

Accuracy is good but I haven’t tried it to far out the 59 gr bullet is going to fast with the PCP tunes valve that I have and have since went to a 257 barrel and am going to cast some 80 gr bullets I think is the size of the mold I got . The 59 gr bullets I tried in the 250 lw barrel are over the sound barrier thinking about selling the 250 barrel now

fomen
    Participant

Is the .250 barrel un-choked? If so, I’m interested.

airgunmann
    Participant

Yes it is unchoked .250 barrel also have a shroud I wts that fits it to they are both listed in classified adds on the forum here

leonardalen
    Participant

In order to maximize the efficiency of slugs,

you’re going to have to do some mods.

The new high flow valve and top hat are a good start.

But you’re DEFINITELY going to want to remove the choke from your barrel.

The LW barrels that AF uses have a .001 to .002 choke at the end.

Although this seems insignificant, it can affect accuracy greatly.

There’s a rule of thumb for air rifles. Pellets love a choke, bullets HATE a choke.

That’s why you NEVER see choked barrels on rimfire or centerfire rifles.

I’ve heard you can cut the last inch off your barrel and have it re-crowned by a gunsmith to remove the choke.

Or you will have to order a custom barrel w/out a choke.

This would be my suggestion for a couple of reasons. #1, you can order a barrel with a 14:1 twist instead of a 16:1 twist.

Bullets have a completely different ballistics coefficient than pellets.

The higher twist will definitely improve accuracy. ESPECIALLY over distance.

Also, with a custom barrel you don’t have to compromise the length of the barrel.

The length with equate to more FPE, and improved long range accuracy.

As far as slugs are concerned, I recommend a boat tail round.

Perhaps from NOE custom bullet molds. I also recommend an upgrade to your tank.

You’ll want a CF tank capable of handling 4500 psi to compensate for the massive change in air dumps from using the higher flow valves.

Staten Island Veterinary Group

Robert Elvin
    Participant

Quick Dri Carpet & Tile Cleaning is a premium residential and commercial carpet and tile cleaning and restoration company based in two states, Texas and Indiana. We’ve had the pleasure of serving numerous customers over the years and have garnered a stellar reputation for excellence in carpet cleaning, repair, and restoration.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.