Sumatra 2500R in .20 Caliber has arrived

Home Forums Other Guns Other Guns Sumatra 2500R in .20 Caliber has arrived

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    blackops
    Participant

I decided to treat myself to a new rifle since I passed my second Block of computer Operations school here in Keesler Mississippi WOOT!

Had one hell of a time deciding between the Sumatra and the Career III in .25 caliber but what finally did it is I already have the .25 Career II carbine and they had the Sumatra .20 in stock at http://www.Pyramydair.com … I ordered it yesterday @ 11:45AM and it was here today before 3PM!!! of course paid $70 for overnight but damn it was here in prolly less than 24 hours! I don’t really like the clips on the Career’s also so that was nagging in the back of my mind also…

Opened the box and DAMN this is one hell of a sweet looking and handling gun so far! looked and it is already partially 1/3 charged 😀 BUT the adapter I bought for my SCBA tank is missing a seal? as it wouldn’t seal enough to charge the gun 😕 it was 6PM and the local SCUBA shop was already closed. Tomorrow I’ll get the part or rent a tank for while I’m here… On AOA’s site they list this gun as being able to adjust from 200-1,200 fps so I am REALLY hoping this gun can go low like that? my idea is being able to shoot pigeons inside barns and storage buildings but the gun has to be ultra low power to avoid shooting through the roof.

I took the scope, 4-16 BSA? with lasersight and flashlight mounted on it also, off my SS to set the gun up for now and with the high mounts the scope is TOWERING over the gun but it might need that to keep my head from getting too cocked sideways? I ordered some extra 30mm rings also as I want to put my Nikko 10-50×60 on it after Thanksgiving. LOVE this scope and I think it will look really bad ass on this gun.

Since Pyramyd does the buy 3 get one free pellets I got 4 boxes of the .20 Crossman Premiers(I sure hope they shoot good!!!) and cleaned and lubed them up with Slick 50 One Lube then rolled them around on a paper towel to get off the excess oil, lead dust and shavings… I will order some JSB’s when they get them back in stock Nov 2nd 😡 these suckers are always out of stock!

I read somewhere that this was used to good result with the field target guys if I remember correctly? it’s synthetic and should have a very high flash point. I have some other super uber pellet lube but of course it is not here but in Ohio…story of my life 😆

I tossed out 3 cans of cat food and 50 lbs of bird seed at the public hunting grounds last night in hopes of attracting any kind of living things other than mosquitos and ticks 😡 😆 I have seen Racoon tracks and deer poop as well as some Crows flying over so with any luck I’ll get in some target shooting as well as some hunting.

Of course I left my Chrony at home 😡 so I might have to see how this “softchrony” works on the laptop? I don’t see a microphone on this thing though….

Pics and initial shooting report tomorrow….

Jim.

walkonking
    Participant

BOOOM!……get use to it…lol

Nice gun.

Anonymous
    Inactive

NICE! 8)

blackops
    Participant

Thanks DH, WOK I’m having flashbacks to my first Career 201S 9mm shot 😆 it was my first PCP and I had no clue how loud it was going to be firing out of my garage into the back yard….BOOM-rinnnnggggggggggggggggggg went my ears 😮 😆 ditto when my Dad dry fired his Talon with a 24″ barrel in his basement workroom 😆 he called me cussing about how loud it was 😆 I got a good laugh out of that one.

Jim.

teflontron
    Participant

Jim, first off, congratulations. How do you see this .20 fitting into a role that can’t be covered by your Wolf?

sluggo
    Participant

Nice!!
    They look so much better in person then in the pictures.
    You should be able to shoot at low power. If you want it to shoot even lower you can alway just fill half full.
    The .20 cal is great because the pellet weights range from 9gr to 23gr.
    did you get the long gun or the short?

blackops
    Participant

Oh this gun kicks ass! I went through some heartache trying to get my SCBA tank working(it still isn’t) and ended up renting a SCUBA for $8.50/day 😯 … I charged it to 3,000 psi, loaded up the PLASTIC pellet cylinder! turned the wheel to minimum power and pulled the trigger holding one ear drum 😆 “puff” the pellet didn’t even come out!!!! woo-hoo I got the “good one” 😀 spun the dial to up the power ??? many clicks and loaded a second pellet in the barrel…BOOM!!!! OK turned it down a couple clicks and it sounded the same as my old Sheridan pump up .20 at 12 pumps 😀 since I don’t have my danged chrony with me 😡 so I have no clue the fps but I did zero it at 42 yards(per the bushnell rangefinder, VERY cool gadget!). I was quite impressed with the accuracy as I could watch the pellets (sun was behind me) sail one after another in a TIGHT cluster with several touching each other! scope @ 12X and I was bracing the gun against a flimsy tree and pulling the trigger badly as the crosshairs passed the target spot on the dead split tree. I need to try shooting from my chair tomorrow and using a camera stand and see just what kind of groups I can shoot with it?

Zero’d at 42 yards I shot 12 shots off hand @ 68 yards with the scope set at 6X at a small plastic bottle….9 HITS IN A ROW! then 3 misses 😉 my arms were burning and I choked 😆 I was guessing the elevation with a 6 inch drop and it was right on. It was amazing the 3 shots went RIGHT where I pulled them! seeing the dirt blast up right where I called it was just really cool.

Shots per fill so far…. Crosman Premier @ ??? FPS I shot 60 shots and it was at 2,200 PSI…I’ll count the clicks tomorrow and see how far from 0 it is set at. I’ll shoot some known distances and extrapolate the FPS with Chairgun and measured pellet drop….or get the softchrony loaded and working…

Loading pellets…. I initially loaded them from the back of the cylinder and they stick out slightly. They had to be pushed in slightly smashing the back/skirt of the pellet! after 4 cylinders and a couple badly bent pellets I started loading them in from the front which works beautifully! I didn’t notice any loss of accuracy so I don’t know why people have written to only load them from the rear???? I’ll shoot paper tomorrow and see if I can notice any difference?

Here’s a crappy pic of her on the bumper of my truck

TT, Thanks! this gun fits in as a multishot “field gun” I’m not as worried about it getting knocked around a little bit. I would prolly faint if I dropped the Wolf 😯 and cuss if I dropped the Sumatra 😆 The Wolf is frigging SWEET but it’s basically a bench gun at the moment and I do A LOT of hiking and shooting.

Sluggo, got the long gun on this one…I also have a Carbine in .25 Caliber but I’ve never shot it yet 😕 I need to mail it to myself here and see just how nasty the .25 is?????

Does anyone else have one of these Sumatra’s?

More tomorrow, Jim.

cygnus-x-d82
    Participant

cool you finnaly got the rifle…..where yout to see where you dumped all those goodies ….was it gone…or untouched ?

i cant see why you should load from the back of the magazine only….as long as the pellet isnt sticking out the front it should be fine…and even if it was sticling out just a little bit the domed head is probably easier on the orings than a the skirt would be.

the .25 carbine should be in the 60+ fpe(heard of 70+ fpe with 42 grain EJ but never saw a string or anything)…which should do nicely out to about 60-70 yards….my condor at 55 fpe, was zeroed at 30 and i shot staright at a squirrel 62 yards holding dead on his head…and it hit 1″ low so insted of hitting the head of it it struck the vital area….where the .25 comes into its own….its a big pellet and where the squirrel would proably run off and made it into a hole with a .177….the .25 makes short work of that

congrats dude….cant wait to see if theres anything at your feeding site !

sluggo
    Participant

I have the .25 and .22 carbine. I always load the pellets backwards from the front of the mag. When I go out with extra mags I will drop the pellets in from the front and push them down just a little so they are snug.
    that way they don’t fall out of the mag.
    Front of the mag is slightly larger that the rear. I think they did that on purpose so you can carry extra mags.

If you go by the review that gaylord did on pyramid air, your pellets will get jacked up.
    http://www.pyramydair.com/site/articles/sumatra/
    The pellets just drop in place if loading from the top. no need to push them down unless you are going to carry extra mags in your pocket or they are sticking out.
    Do you have the Career carbine in .25cal?

y
    Participant

That does look better in the pictures than it looks on the pyramid/other sites.

They have horrible pics on Pyramid, make it look cheap. I think it’s because it reminds me of the crappy plastic BB/cap guns that have the silver finish (that always flakes off).

If they had a blued color they would prolly do better. But thats what spray can’s are for….

Your magazines metal Sluggo? Kinda sucks that people keep changing formerly metal parts to plastic.

sluggo
    Participant

They still make the metal mags. I think they started making the plastic so you can see the pellets.
    The metal mags have numbers so when I put the mag in the gun, I set it
    a hair past #6 and when I close the lever it goes to #1.
    that way if I am shooting and it say #5, I know that I have two shots left.
    I was going to get an AR6 but the AR6 doesn’t have a pellet seat.you load the mag and the air pushes the pellet thru the mag and into the barrel. Blows air out the side of the mag. I didn’t like that.
    With the sumatra, the pellet is seated in the barrel and the air comes for the barrel. Like most airguns.

cygnus-x-d82
    Participant
    quote sluggo:

I was going to get an AR6 but the AR6 doesn’t have a pellet seat.you load the mag and the air pushes the pellet thru the mag and into the barrel. Blows air out the side of the mag. I didn’t like that.
    With the sumatra, the pellet is seated in the barrel and the air comes for the barrel. Like most airguns.

great info i was wondering about that….back 10 years i saw a a korean rifle with mag just like the sumatra, but with no pellet probe, the mag sealed with orings…as they got worn it would shoot out the sides…another thing that cant help accuracy is the pellet being shot into the barrel…and what would happen if the indexer misaligned a pellet was pushed with 50+ fpe into the barrel wall….could possibly come out the side of the mag

how much power is your 2500 long rifle doing in .25 ?

sluggo
    Participant
    quote Cygnus X:

quote sluggo:

great info i was wondering about that….back 10 years i saw a a korean rifle with mag just like the sumatra, but with no pellet probe, the mag sealed with orings…as they got worn it would shoot out the sides…another thing that cant help accuracy is the pellet being shot into the barrel…and what would happen if the indexer misaligned a pellet was pushed with 50+ fpe into the barrel wall….could possibly come out the side of the mag

The AR6 came out about 10 yaers ago. They didn’t sell very good so they stopped the import.
    pellets coming out the side of the mag sounds dangerous!

how much power is your 2500 long rifle doing in .25 ?

blackops
    Participant

Nice pics Sluggo! the camera I’m using now is in the video camera and it doesn’t take high res pics… Love the look of this gun and the reciever looks really nice with high detail in the scene.

The feed…2 cans of cat food were completely gone the next night, and 1 was only getting eaten by ants even today(wierd) 2 piles of bird food had been worked on some and 1 hadn’t been touched at all 😆 I did a good bit of looking and tracking today and found A LOT of deer tracks, some racoon tracks and a bunch of bird activity in the sand but the birds must fly off…I saw some Crows fly over but they were going far away.

My .25 is a Career 707 II carbine…can’t wait to shoot it after shooting this one…

Got a good amount of shooting in tonight in total 108 shots from 1 click below medium/middle power to full?(red dot, but it clicks further) power at the red dot. About 50 of these shots were at middle power and about 40 shots were 1 click above. When I recharged I had 2,100 PSI left from starting at 3,000 psi… middle power sent the Premiers supersonic from a full charge and I think 1 click above sent them super sonic every time. I didn’t realize the sound the gun was making was actually the supersonic crack as it didn’t seem that loud until I turned the power down to 1 click below middle and made a much different sound missing the higher pitched “crack”. Straightshooters said that at medium/middle power it was still shooting super sonic on them also.

To start, I plinked 36 shots at varies cans, rocks and mud noting some SWEET hits a few times but some others there were some “fliers”. I initially attributed them to wind and shooting off hand, until I pulled out the chair and camera stand to get some “rested” shots…

The trigger, out of the box it is heavy to me and not smooth so I tried adjusting it lighter heeding the warning to adjust slowly as too much and it will become unsafe…well just over 1/2 turn made it fire when I closed the cocking handle! turned it back 1/4 turn and it is lighter pull but not smooth and requires quite a bit of pull to fire. It is NOT a hair trigger… I’ll look into this later when I have the facilities.

Accuracy is gone????? I had gone from nearly stacking pellets to my initial 50 yard group around 6+ inches 😯 I shot 24 shots 12 at medium plus 1 click(hitting roughly point of aim), 6 at medium(no better group but about 6 inches lower) and 6 at medium -1 click at around 10-12 inches low… then I moved to 30 yards wondering what the heck? group only improved because I was closer… I realized in here somewhere I had been shooting supersonic for most of yesterday and the beginning of today! I checked the scope it was tight so I was wondering if maybe the bore was leaded/dirty and it was BADLY leaded.

Cleaning the barrel by shooting wadded up paper towels? yup I put one into the cylinder and shot it and it was black! so I loaded up 12 more paper towel cleaning pellets and they all came out black but less near the end so I tried shooting some more 30 yard groups…

Accuracy is mostly back… first group is 6 premiers at medium power going approx 1.25″ then I tried 6 Eun Jins at full/red dot power going just over .75″ and I could cover them all with a quarter…all 12 of these shots sounded supersonic and the next 6 Premiers went 1.25″ again but a looser group…

Another cleaning… this time at the room using 15 lb fishing line and small pieces of rolled up paper towel “patches” that fit tightly into the barrel. The fishing line lets me pull it through or run it back and forth kinda scouring the barrel…man it was leaded BAD again! I put around 20 “patches” before my line broke and I stopped for tonight…the patches were still very dark and no where near clean…I’m going to get a .177 cleaning rod tomorrow and some to see if I can get it completely clean and not lead up so bad.

More tomorrow….Jim.

blackops
    Participant

Got some great target shooting in today and I’m kicking myself in the nads for not bringing my Chrony with me…

Cleaned the barrel last night with the fishing line and paper towels.This morning I got a .177 cleaning kit and some crazy barrel cleaning stuff called “Remington 40-X Bore Cleaner” using a .177 swab and a patch cut long wise. With the patch on the swab it worked great. Man that stuff pulled a good 20 pure black patches out! I cocked the gun and fired it so the pellet probe thing kept the cleaning stuff from getting into the air hole or o-ring as well as kept the rifle upside down. I ran some cleaner back and forth in the bore then ran 5-10 dry patches through it then some more solution…after about an hour I finally got clean patches out and started doing some target shooting…

30 yards groups were going 1-3″ with the average going just over 1.25″ for 6 shots.

50 yard groups around 2.5-4.5″ with the average around 3.5″ for 6 shots.

Thoughts on improving accuracy: A bench with sandbags would help (I’m using a foldup chair and Camera tripod), the trigger for sure pulled a few shots and I had to use a damned kung-fu grip on the gun to keep it from moving/jerking as I pulled the trigger. It still jerked badly on a few of them.

Should be some pretty close? FPS estimates using trajectory and Chairgun…
    3,000 psi fill Crossman Premiers look to be going 1,000 fps at mid power/6 clicks(blue dot)…zeroe’d at 30 yards I was shooting roughly 1/2 inch low at 50 yards and about 3 feet low at 100 yards. 7 clicks made a definite “crack” and shot 2.5″ higher than 6 clicks at 30 yards and grouped 2.5″ for 6 shots…that was after 42 shots.

After 150 shots velocity was down from approx 1,000 fps to approx 600 fps and pressure was down to 1,700 PSI from 3,000. 36 of those shots were 4 or 5 clicks, 6 shots at 7 clicks the rest were Med(6 clicks)…4 and 5 clicks seemed like it might be inconsistant but without my cheony I don’t have any good idea how FPS is really averaging.

I’m going to re-zero at 20 yards and according to chairgun should give me a much better trajectory/point blank setup.

I’m really kicking myself for not bringing the Chrony…wife is going to mail it out tomorrow!!! WOOT!

Jim.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.