Shot some groups with my Airwolf today

Home Forums Other Guns Other Guns Shot some groups with my Airwolf today

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    teflontron
    Participant

Today was nice and crisp and my neighbours are away, so I thought that I’d shoot a few groups and see how the Airgun Gods favoured me. Apparently they like me quite a lot as I managed quite a few good groups, with the below being the best:

Sorry about the quality of the picture, but my wife has taken the Camera, lol.

Anyway, that’s 7 shots and a Quarter Coin at about 26 Yards, so not too bad, I think. Airgun was an Airwolf in .22 with a PAG shroud and JSB Exacts. Why 7 shots? Well, I was going to do 5 and they all went into virtually the same hole, so I added another and that pushed it out a fraction, so I fired off another, again making the hole slightly larger. At this point I wimped out and decided to be content with what I had.

photo22
    Participant

WOW….I would have stopped at 5 shots. Your Airwolf is shooting great!!! 😀

sherrod833
    Participant

Nice group!What were shooting off of?

teflontron
    Participant
    quote Sherrod833:

Nice group!What were shooting off of?

I was shooting out of one of my windows, and I was using a rolled up coat hung over the sill with the rifle resting on that. It seemed to work out okay, considering that I’m really not a particularly good shot: I get a lot of wobbles, even when the rifle is rested (I get nervous, lol).

The funny thing with the Wolf is that with the PAG shroud it is a really tight fit between the scope and the top of the shroud. I have a 56mm front lens and there is literally just enough room to slide a piece of paper between the bottom of the scope and the shroud. However, if I use a riser mount the rifle becomes a little unsteady as it is then top heavy.

Let me grab my PDA and I’ll take a picture.

EDIT: Here we go. Sorry for the crappy quality.

And my cat, who is feeling left out because he’s not allowed to walk on my Airwolf:

ambush-hunter
    Participant

Really nice, Teflon.

I think I’ve read somewhere that you can only use clean scuba air to refill Daystate rifles. Is that true, or a hand pump will do it?

riffraff
    Participant

Pretty impressive shooting Tron. I have had groups similar from time to time, but my 5 shot groups usually look like a 3 shot group and a 2 shot group side-by-side.

I love your rifle. Setup is slick and it looks great.

Nice kitty too. I love siamese.

mig-rod
    Participant

Great grouping man, those seven shots look like three. Very tight, awesome looking rig as well.

shadoh
    Participant

Some of the hand pumps have really good filters on them. I wouldnt see why you couldnt.

Tef is practicing for for his final hurrah with that out the window shooting style ). Really nice group there.

teflontron
    Participant

Vlady, I have heard that too, but to be honest I think that it is an urban legend as much as anything. I just fill up using a Hill Pump and everything is okay so far. The Wolf is also easy to fill as it is very economical with air. I fill to 215 Bar and shooting say 20-25 shots it only takes a minute or so to pump back up.

RiffRaff: I know what you mean about the groupings. I’m really not that an experienced shooter by any means, but I know what it’s like to start off with a group thinking “Ooh, this could be a good one” only for it to fade away on the last couple of shots. The Wolf really is a great rifle, and the trigger is very cool (literally feels like clicking a mouse on a computer), and it’s quite a short rifle too. However, the PAG shroud adds almost 4 inches and that starts to push it into the long category, and if you use a large scope and risers it can be a bit wobbly and top heavy.

Mig Rod: Thank you. I’ve been popping quite a few squirrels with it from various rooms in my house. It’s very quiet apart from a ping that is heard by me but not anyone else. The only downside that I have is that the length combined with shooting from inside makes it relatively unwieldy.

Shadoh: Yes indeed. I’m practicing for my very own Ruby Ridge. 😆

walkonking
    Participant

Nice looking pussy you have there. 😆

sacshooter
    Participant

Nice group Tron. 😀

ambush-hunter
    Participant

Tron, is there a reason you went for a Wolf and not a Ranger? I wonder what Wolfs can do that Rangers can’t? Would that be just a number of features, like electronic triggers, shot counters, and so on, or is there anything else?
    thanx.

teflontron
    Participant

Vlady, funnily enough, I had a Ranger before the Wolf. It was the 50fpe version and was nice for what it was. However, I also had a Condor, and the Ranger cannot be turned down in power so the two rifles were really filling the same slot. Comparing the two, the Wolf shoulders a lot more easily than the Ranger for me, plus it is quieter, has a better trigger, gets more shots and just generally feels nicer. I have it set to just about 28fpe and that is perfect for shooting squirrels in the garden, whereas the 50fpe of the Ranger would be a little too much.

ambush-hunter
    Participant

Thank you, Tron,

I kinda looking into a .22 Ranger 35 fpe version. Anthony is building my .25 Condor, so I assume it’s going to be a 85 fpe gun (my future pig slaying machine). So, that Ranger is supposed to have 60-70 shots on one charge, which is great, no doubt. This one will serve me as an ultimate small game rifle.
    I am also curious if a Vortex moderator (Theoben) can be attached to Daystate rifles…

teflontron
    Participant

I don’t know about the Vortex being able to be attached directly as I don’t know what fittings it has, but the Wolf (and Ranger, if I remember right) has a cap at the end of the shroud that can be removed to reveal a thread. If worst came to worst you would just need an adapter and they will be easy to come by. I’m not sure whether the Ranger will get that number of shots, and would think that 40-50 would be more realistic. The Wolf will get a good 70 shots for sure though, if not more.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.