Skip to toolbar
Taipan Laminate airgunUragans airgun

Shoebox compressor tricks mods for big bore /other gun guys

Home Forums Other Guns Other Guns Shoebox compressor tricks mods for big bore /other gun guys

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    dan-h
    Participant

OK i put another 14 hours on my machine , so now right at 254 total run time on my compressor

on my new bullet shaped- ultra fine sanded- on the end pistons , i have now 38 hours total with no leaks when tested with soapy water at where the pistons go into the cylinder under pressure , this is the longest i have ran the machine with no air bubbles coming out of the piston to cylinder area when tested with soapy water , this will be intersting to see how long this continues to work like this .

you can have some air bubbles at the piston to cylinder point and still have the machine able to charge to 4500 psi , but i know it will be working better with out the leaking going on , my oiless-compressor and shoe box are at the same level on a bench , i let 20ft of hose hang down to the floor where my dual water trap -plus 2 desiccant filters inline are , then another 20 ft of hose going from the floor area back up to feed the shoebox , this is u shaped down and up set up is helping keep the water from reaching the compressor .

roachcreek
    Participant

And where do you get a HPA side water trap?

Dan would you post a picture of your filters?

And no I don’t seem to have water in the tanks, scba or the gun from checking or the yellow line by draining and blowing the entire tank thru the hose, but again it was spitting air out from the bleed hose so WTF.

It could have been left over from when I used only 1 fitler and was moisture that got past it. Also when I first found out about it, I drained the compressor tank, and that may of been where it came from and all the yellow hose moisture got caught by the trap by the time I checked the rest of the equipment.

Seems to work now without spitting.

But I do have a question? Do you loose air pressure from having so many filters on the low pressure side, my little pancake struggles as it is?

Regards,

Roachcreek

pablouk
    Participant

You won’t loose pressure but you will loose through-put. You’ll have initial low pressure until the pre shoebox set up comes up to pressure, then it should all equalise. Then a reduced flow rate and increased strain on the comp’ motor. If the flow rate drops below the demand rate from the shoebox, then a pressure drop will occur.

dan-h
    Participant
    quote roachcreek:

And where do you get a HPA side water trap?

Dan would you post a picture of your filters?

And no I don’t seem to have water in the tanks, scba or the gun from checking or the yellow line by draining and blowing the entire tank thru the hose, but again it was spitting air out from the bleed hose so WTF.

It could have been left over from when I used only 1 fitler and was moisture that got past it. Also when I first found out about it, I drained the compressor tank, and that may of been where it came from and all the yellow hose moisture got caught by the trap by the time I checked the rest of the equipment.

Seems to work now without spitting.

But I do have a question? Do you loose air pressure from having so many filters on the low pressure side, my little pancake struggles as it is?

Regards,

Roachcreek

Charlie have you polished up those pistons and reshaped them on the end yet ?

on my airline set up, here are some pics , you can see the tall blue air filter i just bought that one from Harbor Freight , i am going to add it to the system ,with one more air-line that will go up from the desiccant filters and orange water trap that are usually at floor level { i put the filters up on the bench just for pics} then go up to bench level then back down to floor level conecting to the new blue filter , this will create to u shaped up and down water trap areas , i run that dual fan set up one blowing on the piston area with a metal plate at the end to help build air pressure just a bit for the electric motor , also the fan is turned on behind the shoebox so it blows air directly on the motor keeping it real cool .

the blue water trap is on sale for 14 bucks ! great deal , that one is a water trap with a nice air filter in it and the air filter is re-usable , i might even fill this one full of desiccant -turning into a giant desiccant filter .

idontknowjack
    Participant

That second orange unit is an automatic air oiler and should be removed from your set-up.

dan-h
    Participant
    quote idontknowjack:

That second orange unit is an automatic air oiler and should be removed from your set-up.

ya and it’s now a second water trap 😉 you just have to know what you are really doing 😆

roachcreek
    Participant

Dan,

Is it possible to put a filter on the intake of these little Pancake compressors, if so I would just add another filter like I have, I have 10 of them. I think I will go get another 20 feet of yellow hose, put a filter on each end and do the bucket trick, maybe not ice, but at least some cold water.

Keeping that compressor tank empty of water seems to help also, I notice that instead of both filters turning pink, now the first one is the only one to turn pink. And my bleed valve is not spitting water now.

My pistons have the wire edge removed so they go in easy unless I get them misaligned.

Regards,

Roachcreek

dan-h
    Participant
    quote roachcreek:

Dan,

Is it possible to put a filter on the intake of these little Pancake compressors, if so I would just add another filter like I have, I have 10 of them. I think I will go get another 20 feet of yellow hose, put a filter on each end and do the bucket trick, maybe not ice, but at least some cold water.

Keeping that compressor tank empty of water seems to help also, I notice that instead of both filters turning pink, now the first one is the only one to turn pink. And my bleed valve is not spitting water now.

My pistons have the wire edge removed so they go in easy unless I get them misaligned.

Regards,

Roachcreek

run all filters on the air compressed side , that will have the most effect .

it’s raining today ! dam rain ! i got to wait for a break to test some more bullets out .

bdurham
    Participant

I have the same problem. I think the water is coming from the shoebox”s heat from compressing the air. I don’t know how to filter the HPA but that is where my problem is if it is a problem. My bleeder spits a little but I really don’t think it is hurting my guns. I don’t think it is enough to worry about. I am going to turn my tank up and crack a valve and see how much comes out.

lurker-1
    Participant

Would it help to cool the filled tank valve down, and then bleed any water out?

dan-h
    Participant
    quote LURKER #1:

Would it help to cool the filled tank valve down, and then bleed any water out?

The shoebox charges slow so there is no heat build up , at the tank valve .

dan-h
    Participant

The shoe box has come a long way since this thread ….I still have this machine up and running we did replace the entire center aluminum block and pistons /cylinder new system using silicone lube … also a new belt drive system instead of the old chain system … this machine has well over a thousand hours on it original motor works perfect ….

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.