Skip to toolbar

Shoebox compressor tricks mods for big bore /other gun guys

Home Forums Other Guns Other Guns Shoebox compressor tricks mods for big bore /other gun guys

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    slayer5
    Participant

Makes me feel a little better about moving up to the next step, The Ranger. I would not shoot it near as much as you guys have. lol
    I have to drive 45 minutes each way to a range. I would probably take a few shots here and there at the farm. Rc seems to have the room to roam you too dan. I am jealous living in NJ they are not to big on fire arms of any kind here. I need to move! 😆

revwarnut
    Participant

If I ever get a PCP, I most definately will have to get this compressor too.

Thanks for the answer on my o-ring question TK… just sort of thinking out load you might say, and I have not seen one of these units in person.

I find it amazing that this little machine can do what it does.

Revwarnut

roachcreek
    Participant

My Shoebox water fountain.

I live in western Oregon, people fall off their bikes and drown here, humidity on the average is in the high 80’s when it is not raining.

I topped off three 44 cft tanks yesterday, between a lower cylinder rebuild, I shaved the inner oring when I assembled it a couple weeks ago, I could feel it when it happened, part of getting to know your equipment..

But that is not the issue here. When I bleed with the bleed valve at the tank shutoff, I get the water spitting out sound.

I have not one, but two Harbor Freight inline moisture dessitant traps piggybacked at the end of the 20’coiled hose, my HF pancake is 2 feet lower than the Shoebox to resist water climbing up the hose.

I bought 8 of the filters when they were on sale, and change when they get pink, which is about 7 to 10 days. I disassemble the filters and dry them in the oven at 170 degrees until they are blue again and recycle them. I also drain the tank, last night there was maybe a half cup of water in it.

It appears I will need to do the following:

Tear down my rifles and dry the tanks.

Set my scba tanks upside down for a day and then vent them upside down to try and blow the water out.

Get a inlet filter for the intake port on the Pancake.

Somewhere along the line, I am going to degrade the air pressure in the shop/pancake compressor with all the traps it is filtered thru.

Any suggestions? Do I need to change the filters daily?

Regards,

Roachcreek.

revwarnut
    Participant

Move to Pheonix AZ.

dan-h
    Participant
    quote roachcreek:

My Shoebox water fountain.

I live in western Oregon, people fall off their bikes and drown here, humidity on the average is in the high 80’s when it is not raining.

I topped off three 44 cft tanks yesterday, between a lower cylinder rebuild, I shaved the inner oring when I assembled it a couple weeks ago, I could feel it when it happened, part of getting to know your equipment..

But that is not the issue here. When I bleed with the bleed valve at the tank shutoff, I get the water spitting out sound.

I have not one, but two Harbor Freight inline moisture dessitant traps piggybacked at the end of the 20’coiled hose, my HF pancake is 2 feet lower than the Shoebox to resist water climbing up the hose.

I bought 8 of the filters when they were on sale, and change when they get pink, which is about 7 to 10 days. I disassemble the filters and dry them in the oven at 170 degrees until they are blue again and recycle them. I also drain the tank, last night there was maybe a half cup of water in it.

It appears I will need to do the following:

Tear down my rifles and dry the tanks.

Set my scba tanks upside down for a day and then vent them upside down to try and blow the water out.

Get a inlet filter for the intake port on the Pancake.

Somewhere along the line, I am going to degrade the air pressure in the shop/pancake compressor with all the traps it is filtered thru.

Any suggestions? Do I need to change the filters daily?

Regards,

Roachcreek.

I get the same problem here with the moisture , looks like you are doing the right thing, i run a 20 ft hose off the pancake compressor to a double water trap then another 20 ft hose with the 2 desiccant filters with those beads like you are running , i would like to get a large filter with those beads in it i bought a large bag of the desiccant beads to replace the ones in the small filter but a lot of the beads are kinda big to fit in them , if i can just get a large enough canister ,or make one out of pvc , like 2 inches around -8inches long – inline , i think that would take care of the water really good .

slayer5
    Participant

You crack me up sometimes RC.
    Fall off thier bike and drownd.
    Does anyone know what type of filters the scuba shops use?
    I will check when I go to the shop next time.
    My scuba shop guy is very talkative and I will find out.
    Sounds like you make have to go with the high pressure in line filter.$$$

pablouk
    Participant

Roach, can you post a pic of your current fill set up. I play around with compressors, water traps, filters that kind of thing for work. Fresh pair of eyes may see a better solution. 🙂

powderburner
    Participant

RC add a water trap before your Desiccant Dryer.setup,

also if you still have allot of air born water after 20′ of hose you may need to build yourself a drier by putting the 20′ of hose or running part of the hose from the compressor into a bucket or ice chest with ice in it or running the line thru a small refrigerator. this will cool the air from the heated air the compressor makes to condense the water from the air, then put a nice water trap, then your Desiccant filters .

After the shoe box is the question???? , you could build a cooled high pressure line system with a high pressure trap there too , before the tank fill also.

Some ideas to play with. 🙂

pablouk
    Participant
    quote powderburner:

also if you still have allot of air born water after 20′ of hose you may need to build yourself a drier by putting the 20′ of hose or running part of the hose from the compressor into a bucket or ice chest with ice in it or running the line thru a small refrigerator. this will cool the air from the heated air the compressor makes to condense the water form the air, then put a nice water trap, then your Desiccant filters .

After the shoe box is the question???? , you could build a cooled high pressure line system with a high pressure trap there too , before the tank fill also.

Lol, was just coming up with the same! 😆 Gotta cool the air so the dryer will work more efficiently, its all about the dew point 😉 20 odd ft of hose in a bucket of ice, followed by a water trap then then filters.

powderburner
    Participant

LOL , beat ya to it Pab’s ,

I like the clear traps so as to keep track of what is going on , with the drain. like this.or similar.
    http://compare.ebay.com/like/190529917877?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Also i saw where some one built a trap with like 3″ pvc , with bronze wool filling it. make the air inlet at the bottom , with a drain , and have the air outlet at the top. the bronze wool is to help condense suspended water and have it something to cling to and collect ,

you could have this water trap cooled also , allot of ways of doing this on the low pressure air side out of the pancake compressor, but on the high pressure side ????

dan-h
    Participant
    quote powderburner:

also if you still have allot of air born water after 20′ of hose you may need to build yourself a drier by putting the 20′ of hose or running part of the hose from the compressor into a bucket or ice chest with ice in it or running the line thru a small refrigerator. this will cool the air from the heated air the compressor makes to condense the water from the air, then put a nice water trap, then your Desiccant filters .

ya my set up has 20ft of hose then a double water trap then 20 more ft of hose then 2 desiccant filters , with all of that sometimes i still get some moisture , hard to get it all up here in the NW area ,

slayer5
    Participant

You guys are running a desk fan on the shoebox right? I think that helps to keep the shoebox and the air cooler which should create less moisture.
    I am not in the same climate so I cannot say.

roachcreek
    Participant

Things are kind of cluttered there right now, usually I have all the bullet casting and booster stuff put away so that I am only using one thing at a time.

I sat those tanks on end for a few hours and tired to drain any water out by cracking the valves open while upsidedown, I blew the air into a cloth, but no sign of mosture.

I then put the pancake on the bench and ired the same thing with it, by blowing air out the hose while it was on the floor, no water again.

Regards,

Roachcreek

benneeb0y
    Participant

I went with that big yellow monster desiccant dryer from HF. Holds way more desiccant than those little plastic jobbies. Also could try more hose maybe 50ft or so right after the compressor.

Slayer there are hpa dryers but they cost alot.

pablouk
    Participant

No water in the tanks? Maybe the curent set up is doing enough(I doubt it) to keep moisture to a min then. Just a little at the bottom of the tank and when turned over, not enough to pool and vent out? Hmmmmm. I suspect your rifles are getting a fair amount of moisture if the tank bleed pisses out water.
    You have filters on the low pressure side, but the temp’ will increase a fair bit on the high pressure side. This is the side that may benefit from the bucket of ice on the hose, follwed by a moisture/water trap then filter. Simple trap would be a bleed in the hose and the hose looping down low at the bleed point.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.