Sheldon compressor

Home Forums General Compressors, tanks and pumps Sheldon compressor

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I filled my great white Tank from 3000 psi to 4300 psi, Took about 40 minutes, I guess this is about normal.
    I just let it run while I worked on my lawn mower, Now that’s about a month or two of shooting and something’s dead with each shot.
    Unless I start shooting paper and water filled pill bottles, Then it goes a little faster,
    Mike

zonk
    Participant

That is a fast time Mike, mine takes 3 hours. But who’s in a hurry??

Anonymous
    Inactive

Three hours, Zonk you hand pumping?
    Mike

dougroundup
    Participant

Hmmmm? That seems pretty slow! Maybe I am filling my tanks too fast or something. I only have 80cu ft scuba tanks right now and I fill one to 3400 and the other to 3000. I never seem to let them get much lower than 2800 or so…. I suppose 3000, to 4500 is a bigger jump …. However to go from around 2400_2500 to 3400-3500 just took me less than ten minutes which included setting everything up including adding fuel… My filter column usually always remains precharged to at least 3000, but that doesnt take any time to build up anyways…..
    I wonder if I am filling way too fast.
    My compressor was originally equipt with a 5hp Honda. I purchased it without a motor and installed a 6hp Predator gas engine. I used the original drive pulley that was included with the box of parts and accessories. I wonder if I am turning this pump too fast? I dont know what my RPM is running at,,,, It would be prudent of me to double check this and figure the crank rpm and the ratio with my pulley diameters. I feel that the RPM doesnt feel excessive, but I do question if my fills are too fast. My tanks seem warm to the touch but not hot. My compressor certainly gets hot but doesnt seem to be overheating. The filter column is warm to the touch but not at all too hot to touch. I drain my condensate before snd after each top up and everything seems good. I get a decent moisture build up and not too much emulsification at my second stage condensate and barely perceptible if much emulsion from the third stage condensate. The compressor oil is clear and remains at fill level. I understand that the lubrication in my compressor crankcase is accomplished through the rotation of the crank oil slinger. I know that this type of lubrication requires a minimum RPM to be effective.
    I feel comfortable at the Engine /Pump combination are running at safe rpm, but I just cant help but wonder if my fills are too fast or if it is maybe that my cylinders are always mostly full and I am simply topping off full tanks and just never really have experienced the time it would take to really fill a tank. I do have a small paintball tank that is 4500 but it is a small volume, I wonder how long it would take to take it to 4500? Probably cant get it that high with my current final stage overflow valve is probably at a lower setpoint. It has its original inspection seal/slug /safety wire cap . It is not supposed to be adjusted but I know that they are adjusted and calibrated at the factory…. Obviously it is better to purchase another range of valves for each stage rather than just adjust the final stage valve ones self. I will need to confirm what my exact final cutoff is set at…. I need to add another gauge on the compressor side of my fill valve. I need to buy a tee or get a bushing to utilize a port off of my filter or something…… Something that should be checked and confirmed…… I really should have a tech go through it and check it for overall safety in general!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Doug,
    Its my understanding that if you fill you tank to fast it will drop PSI a little as it cools.
    I used to get a fast fill on my Great white to 5000 psi time I got home and it cooled off it would be sitting at about 4600 to 4700 psi, I always filled my three guns and started shooting as I flipped out over the pressure, 😀
    It was about 35 bucks, 40 miles around trip and couple of hours of my time,
    Its nice having your own air. 🙂
    I just got to shoot more, 🙂
    I guess I got to get the deck of cards out and show the boys how to do it, That was 100 yards off hand right? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

zonk
    Participant
    quote iride:

Three hours, Zonk you hand pumping?
    Mike

:rofl: :rofl: Freedom 8 shoebox

dougroundup
    Participant

Yeah that would certainly be a big hassle to have to drive so far! I considered myself very lucky to have such a great service person at the local Sports Chalet! A complete slow fill was only five bucks and a ten minute drive. If i wanted just to top off and a fast fill he wouldnt even charge me. Their diveshop manager was a retired guy that really was helpful and went out of his way to help out! I almost wanted to take up scuba diving! He wasnt into shooting but he went out of his way to learn all about the use of HPA for Paintball, Airsoft and PCP Air Rifles. He did all this on his own and even brought his own fittings and adapters to accomodate.
    I need to get back over there someday soon and visit him. Let him know that I got my own air now. Probably would be a good source of info on where to get parts and stuff too!
    Anyways I would agree that you made an excellent investment with that Sheldon unit. I would hate that drive, and would be bummed out at the change in pressure from your fill location to your home.
    I understand the temp affecting the pressure but I wonder how noticable altitude would from location to location. I am at about 800ft msl and my brother is in the high desert above 3000ft . I will have to take notice next time I visit with my gear.

sc0
    Participant

What is the cfm of your unit?

My 220v electric drive 4.2cfm does the same in under 30mins.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Who you talking to?
    Mike

quote Sc0:

What is the cfm of your unit?

My 220v electric drive 4.2cfm does the same in under 30mins.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.