Taipan Laminate airgunUragans airgun

R3M Mag Cycling Fix???

Home Forums BullPups EdGun R3M Mag Cycling Fix???

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  bogman 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

hoot
    Participant

Does anyone know who offers the R3 magazine cycling fix? The early ones didn’t always chamber properly and I’d like to know what the fix is and who sells it. Thanks!

larryw22
    Participant

Not everyone with a R3M has a mag cycling problem. One solution is using the plastic magazines, new o-rings on the mags my help as well. User technique goes a long way to ensure proper cycling. GKU has a thread in the Ed gun section which would help.
    I am not aware of an after market fix other than the plastic magazines. Keszer (Ed gun West) would be your best resource.
    I am sure he will be thrilled to hear from you Uncle Hoot.

Regards
    LarryW 😛

shooter3

:hoot: , you are not allowed to use magazines. You are doomed to use single shots only! Forever!

hoot
    Participant
    quote shooter3 post_id=389555 time=1548465124 user_id=100210:

:hoot: , you are not allowed to use magazines. You are doomed to use single shots only! Forever!

Larry…you are an evil man!!! Who makes a single shot adapter for an R3 anyway?

Kindly ‘Ol Uncle Hoot:

miksatx
    Participant

You can use the mag as a ssa. Just disengage the mag advance lever and spin the mag by hand each time you cycle the bolt. Much easier then loading a single pellet at a time. :2cents:

kiba

Is the rifle a .22 or .25?

I had 2 early R3M’s, one .22 and one .25. The .22 cycled fine, but the .25 wouldn’t rotate the mag fully.

The issue was the same mag indexing lever was used for both the .22 and the .25 early production R3Ms; with the .22 magazine being 10 shots and the .25 magazine being 9 shots that means the .22 magazine indexing lever didn’t rotate the .25 magazines enough to line the magazine up with the breech every time, the area where the lever contacted the notches on the magazine needed to be longer.

The solution I used was to TIG weld a little extra material on the tip of the indexing lever where it contacts the rotation notches on the magazine, then stoned it back down smooth and to shape.

A few months later Ed made reworked indexing levers available for .25 R3M owners, but I fixed mine a few days after receiving the rifle.

Found some old pics of my reworked indexing lever… worked perfectly.

shooter3

Does it work perfectly fine for you now every time? Do you remember when Ed introduced the upgraded levers to R3M .25?

kiba

The .25 R3M ran 100% after my fix, full and complete mag rotation even running the bolt slowly. After welding up the tip of the lever I stoned it smooth on the upper and lower surface and then stoned and reshaped the area that contacted the mags little by little until it was perfect.

I want to say Ed’s reworked .25 indexing levers for the first gen .25 R3Ms made it to the US about 6 months after the first batch of R3M’s arrived.

The first shipment of .25 R3M’s also had another issue where the magazine storage slots under the scope rail were spaced for the slightly smaller diameter .22 magazines, and if you tried to fill every spot with the slightly larger in diameter .25 magazines they would push against each other and at least one of them would pop out of the groove and eventually fall out of the rifle. The second batch of .25 R3M’s fixed this with different spacing for the magazine storage slots that accommodated the larger .25 magazines.

I sold my .25 R3M last year when I upgraded to a .25 R5M. Unfortunately it got stolen out of the new owners car about 2 weeks after he received it. :sadn:

bogman

Honorable Hootliness, I had the cycling issue on my early r3m .25 and got a replacement lever from one of the guys on this forum, back around Dec. 30, 2013-Jan. 2014. The guys first name is Doug (not Dyotat) and he went by the online name “Ridetoeat”. My dusty mind seems to recall Doug Roundup. Not sure where he is these days. In any case, his indexing arm fixed the problem. Not sure if Ed can help, since that was mostly a 2013-early 2014 design flaw.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar