Taipan Laminate airgunUragans airgun

Puzzled on the not kill factor, Help

Home Forums General Hunting Puzzled on the not kill factor, Help

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  iride 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

iride
    Participant

Ok, Varmint, Coon size ,
    I am shooting Veteran 25.39 gr JSB round noise pellets 25 caliber at 887 fps my prey is at 30 yards, Head shot right between the eyes ,
    It flips and jumps and runs off, WTF, Do i need to use a different pellet? Maybe the poymag ? or maybe a harder pellet?
    This is the second time a varmint has run off?????????? About three weeks ago I did drop one in its tracks with a heart shot just could not get a head shot lined up?
    Is the JSB round noise just to soft to enter the skull?
    I am open to all advise on this,
    My normal prey is sparrows and euro doves , But this little bob cat creature has the ability to kill 10,000 dollars of my bird hobby in a single night.
    Mike

drumie

The problem with straight on head shots is the curvature of the skull. It is very good at deflecting pellets up and over and not penetrating. It will do so with rimfire and even sometimes with center fire. I do not like to take the head on shot. The side of the skull is a much better shot.

iride
    Participant

Drumie
    Thanks, Studying the picture of the skill,
    I can see what your talking about,
    Heart lung or side shots from now on,
    Mike

gku
    Participant

H&N barracudas right between the ear and eye ………… one dead coon.

~ Greg

bogman

Drumie’s post x 2. I shoot a lot of raccoons, too many. The slope on a frontal head shot is too steep, unless you can get 8-10 feet above. My .25s are traveling around 930-940 fps and regular JSB 25 grn. don’t have any trouble dispatching them. Vital organ/behind forelimb is best, ‘coons move their heads a lot. GKU’s eye-ear is also a good place, especially if the critter is feeding and facing one direction. Watch out for rabies; a lot of raccoons out here carry it! :suprisedn:

zonk
    Participant

I usually try to put my shot in their ear, if not, then an eye shot will do the trick.

iride
    Participant

OK, I check with the local Dog pound, Local animal control, I raise Racing Homer Pigeons, Any and all feral pigeons to me are rats I kill them on site, Any way, I have the right to protect my birds in there loft, Any feral cat that is trying to get into my loft is game.
    And is 100% legal for me to take them out, Now I do have three live traps set around my loft at all times, I do take them to the pound when I catch them in the trap, A feral cat has 0 percent of getting adopted, (they are wild) .
    Heart/lung or ear shots from now on,
    Sorry cat lovers , I have to protect my huge investment in my Hobby.
    This has only poped up because Oden my German shepherd pasted away 14 months ago, He hated cats,
    No I am not going to replace him anytime soon,
    Mike

bogman

Feral cats are worse than raccoons! Assholes climb out greenhouse and poke holes in the plastic so ice-cold rain drips in. They trash all the ground-nesting birds like quail and grouse. I have no use or mercy for the scourge. :angrymob:

zonk
    Participant

Open FIRE!!! If anyone has any cats you can drop them off here. There’s not a cat around my place for 5 miles.

gku
    Participant

Jeepers Mike I though you like them cats, didn’t you have some as pets a while ago ?

~ Greg

iride
    Participant

GKU
    I do like cats, Just not around my house, And a well fed house cat is not going to go hunting, There fat and lazy.
    One cat can kill all my race kit of 20 birds and maybe eat one, They kill for the fun of it.
    The vaccines alone for my kit is 270, dollars, Not counting feed and the hours of training,
    And like I say the wild pigeon is a disease carrier, Sky rats,
    Mike

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar