Skip to toolbar

PCB / Electronic’s help

Home Forums Off Topic Off Topic PCB / Electronic’s help

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    yellow-ninja
    Participant

I need help in finding a connector that would fit this pinout header –

2, 1×5 or 2×5 pin female header connector if anyone knows of somewhere that has reasonable S&H on small orders.

Thanks

shadoh
    Participant

Just solder it? Or if you have to have a connector find a male and female and solder one end to the board? )

yellow-ninja
    Participant

I would solder it – but its a 1 time connection just to reflash a chip and I’d prefer to be able to just use a single connector on the cable instead of either soldering and unsoldering the cable several times or modifying several devices.

yellow-ninja
    Participant

Here’s an example of what I keep coming across –

http://www.connectworld.net/cgi-bin/iec/HD2X05F

41 cent part… $9 S&H.

I can understand that it costs money to send a guy to pluck a single component, then package it up and print a label etc – but I only paid $5 for the cable that I want to attach it to.

shadoh
    Participant

Yeah, we see that all the time when we order small parts at work. They could just stick the damn things in an envelope and put a stamp on it.

revwarnut
    Participant

A few suggestions.

1. Radio Shack
    2. RC car/airplane shop
    3. Surplus/Salvage sales shop We have Axe Man here in MN, all kinds of odd stuff.
    4. scrap part from an old PC or alarm clock/radio, etc.
    5. Ask a TV or PC shop if they have one.

When do you need it? I am on a hunting trip and away from home, otherwise, I am sure that I have one of those in my old/spare parts bin at home. It is a very standard part. Not sure how common anymore, but I know exactly what you need.
    I will be back by Thursday and could mail it out to you. No charge of course. It would have a nice length of wire already on it so you could splice into it.

Post here if that works, but PM me your address if you can wait that long or don’t find one.

Bruce

yellow-ninja
    Participant

I still have to check at home to see if I have something – IIRC cordless phone batteries use a similar arrangement for the power connector – if I cant find anything I’ll take you up on your offer rev as some of the other parts will take a while to come – thanks !

mm123522
    Participant

Try these people:

http://www.digikey.com/

mr-lama
    Participant

Just take a bunch of crap you don’t use anymore apart and see if you can find it. 😛

synopsys
    Participant

Do you have an old pc lying around? They use similar connectors for the sound wires and stuff like that…

If you can find it at electronicsplus.com I can pick one up and ship it for free…

revwarnut
    Participant

Yes, the wires from the CD players, etc. are the same connector that fits the one you show in the pic. 3 contacts in a row.

birdhunter
    Participant

Hey, keep in mind if you want a solder or crimp type header connector, you’ll need to buy the pins seperately. If I recall, the pins end up costing more than the connector (usually sold in packs of 20+). If you just need one connector, It might be easier for you to get an IDC style flat cable connector and use and old hard drive ribbon cable.

yellow-ninja
    Participant

IDE connector has the same pin distance so I was able to cut one down to 2×5 and use that.

Thanks for the offers guys – Appreciate it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.