P12 finishing

Home Forums BullPups P12 P12 finishing

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    dant55
    Participant

Looking for some advice on how to even out the finish on Ti tube and rest of the gun forward of the breach. Would want one uniform finish if possible from the tube up.

Was thinking maybe a cerakote/duracoat finish or even a dip process.

Any suggestions on vendors that could do this or should I just hit it with some satin black enamel? 😯

Thanks

DT

humdinger
    Participant

The original air tube finish got real blotchy from the figure 8 clamps being slightly undersized and rubbing off the parkerizing or whatever this finish is on the titanium cylinder. I used a dowel rod wrapped with 200 grit sandpaper to slightly open up the clamps to slide easily over the air cylinder, then I used a spray can of Krylon Ultra Maxx black satin to refinish it. The P-12 was disassembled and the cylinder was sprayed while suspended on a dowel rod to coat it evenly. Use several light passes to get an even finish and avoid runs. A can of Krylon Ultra Maxx is very inexpensive compared to Duracoat or Ceracote but it is advertised as a tough finish that is more durable than ordinary spray paint. I’m not disassembling my P-12 to perform internal mods any more and I’m very pleased with the appearance and durability of this finish. It holds up and the color matches the shroud exactly. So far it has not chipped or peeled anywhere. I don’t handle my PCP’s carelessly and store them in zippered tactical cases. This a poor man’s fix but I don’t want to over invest in the P-12 since this refinish seems to be holding up well. I had previously tried to coat the cylinder with a primer paint color that matched the battleship gray original finish but it was extremely fragile and had poor adhesion. It flaked off way too easily.

dant55
    Participant

Great feedback. Sounds significantly more reasonable than doing a dura coat.

Thanks man.

DT

reaper0d
    Participant

Not sure what the finish is exactly. I tried painting mine but anything rearward of the clamps gets rubbed off and so i stripped mine back and left it.

Looks wonky, but it has a certain appealing look in the blotches as its worn away in the last year or so

birdman
    Participant

Reap , when working with wood , painting isn’t the way to go . Next time try using a wood stain . You will get
    better results . :8:

reaper0d
    Participant
    quote birdman:

Reap , when working with wood , painting isn’t the way to go . Next time try using a wood stain . You will get
    better results . :8:

my stock is stained with clothing dye, i was talking about the Ti air tube, paint doesnt stick to Ti very well. ive handled 4 P12’s now, and dis assembled them all, and they all seem to have varying tolerances in the clamps. mine arent tight, but not loose either when at rest position, however a buddys p12 is so tight it barely slides on the air tube. meanwhile a guy at the rifle range who saw mine, broke his out had so much slop in his he still has all the finish on his air tube.

the early models seem to have more variances in that particular part oddly enough, manufacturing tolerances, i understand. just expect them to be more consistent

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.