out of curiosity. why all the .22?

Home Forums AirForce Talon/Talon SS out of curiosity. why all the .22?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    reaper0d
    Participant

So, first time to this section.

Question, why when i read classifieds, looking for airforce products specifically the condor ss and talon ss, do i see people left and right selling .22 rifles and barely ever see .177. Here & there you see em for sale.

Is 177 that good? or is it bad for the airforce platform?

gqjeff
    Participant

I for one wouldn’t drop the kind of money a PCP costs to shoot a .177 I would buy a cheap break barrel if that’s what I wanted to shot. I don’t think many people use .177 here that’s why you see .22 and .25 instead. For long range shooting a .177 is worthless. Most my shots r 50+ yards and need stopping power at long range. .177 just doesn’t do that.

onebaddj
    Participant

I dont think a whole lot of people buy the 177. You never hear about it anyway.

And when it comes to the airforce platform there are so many mods the next thing you know youve got enough to build another gun by the time you happy. Then you get a new itch. My talondor is a perfect example. Started as a regulated pinpoint accurate 22 with 18 in barrel and r&l shroud. It was super long, very accurate and quiet. Now it sits as a 25 cal stubby.

rrdstarr
    Participant

If your looking for “cheap”, as in affordable. .177 is the way to go. If you buy an Af rifle with a micro-meter valved tank you can shoot three times as much as say a .25. I have two .177 barrels, one for the TalonP and one for a TalonSS. Indoor winter shooting here on the Island.

birdman
    Participant

Reap , if you like shooting paper targets only , then that is why most who shoot .177 cal. pellets . However , if you are
    going to shoot and kill live critters ( pests or other critters larger than mice or rats ) then you are better off shooting
    a caliber over a .177 gun . :tag

reaper0d
    Participant

intent is to have a closer range pester. like sub 30Y and keep it sub 12. large tank and small valve would mean 200+ shots a fill if i have calculated the air usage correctly.

my p12 is a little strong to be ripping starlings at sub 30 ranges at the speed its set at. (32lb) so its WAY overkill

secondary would be to punch paper and just plink, would be for my girlfriend but everything i see is .22 for sale.

seems people buy the 177 and hold onto em then?

blacktalon6
    Participant

Most will buy .22 or .25. If they do buy in .177 they know what they want and are going to keep it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’d would never sell my KG Cricket Compact 177 cal (little laser gun) that’s tuned to shoot JSB 10.34gr @ 920 fps, 19.4 fpe most of the time ….. ………… .. the days with no wind OMG !
    ….. .. wack sparrows out to 70 yards with it.

Tuned down with the HST to shoot JSB 8.4gr @ 780 fps , 11.4 fpe for indoor pesting.

A hi end 177 cal are great tool to practice ones skills with, but once the wind starts to pick up it’s get harder to predict the POI at 50 yards or more.
    Great choice I think for sub 30 yards @ 12 fpe ……… shouldn’t matter that much at the distance wind or not.

~ Greg

reaper0d
    Participant

even 9fpe would be fine for my uses and needs at sub 30y

our friends over seas take 50Y shots at sub12 and get the job done

id just be using it to slap starlings and the occasional squirrel or 2. maybe a crow. mostly paper so my girlfriend has something to shoot with me that she doesnt have to refill as often as my p12 has to be refilled.

im not opposed to a springer but i havent had the best results accuracy wise with a springer.

dwalk29
    Participant

as many have said already, the 177 runs out of steam at “longer” yardage. :confusedn:

I have only one 177 and it’s a ‘modded’ RWS 52… 😉

cdegrassi
    Participant
    quote Reaper0d:

our friends over seas take 50Y shots at sub12 and get the job done

It never stop amazing me how these statements pop up all the time.
    Yes, they get the job done because they have no other choice! It’s the law, 12ftlb or below.
    Unless you get a permit, 12ftlb is all you get, so you have to make it work, but that does not mean it is a standard to refer to all the time, when choosing a caliber, in a place where you don’t have legal limits on the air rifle.

In the US, 22, 25 are very common. Great range and power, more flexibility with modding because they have power and energy to spare.
    Yes, they eat more air, but last I checked we are not running out of atmosphere, yet.

.177 are fun, but if you have a choice you don’t have to stick to that caliber as “our friends over seas” have to.

I mean, for Heaven’s Trumpets, do you want to shoot sparrows and rats all your life?

Cheers

bearfoxy6
    Participant

I dont think a whole lot of people buy the 177.

You never hear about it anyway.

And when it comes to the airforce platform there are so many mods the next thing you know youve got enough to build another gun by the time you happy.

Then you get a new itch. My talondor is a perfect example.

Started as a regulated pinpoint accurate 22 with 18 in barrel and r&l shroud.

It was super long, very accurate and quiet.

Now it sits as a 25 cal stubby.

Rocky Mountain Raw

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.