Skip to toolbar

OMEGA AIR CHARGER vs ALPHA 90

Home Forums General Compressors, tanks and pumps OMEGA AIR CHARGER vs ALPHA 90

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    birdman
    Participant

Thinking of getting a compressor for the great white that is coming soon . Don’t know which of these two would be the best .The Alpha 90 by
    Joe Brancato or the Omega Air Charger sold by R&L Airgun Supply , A.O.A. , and Precision Airguns . Anyone with good knowledge on one or
    the other of these two systems , I could use your thoughts and input .

THANKS , FROM : THE BIRDMAN

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m a newbie when it comes to SUBA tanks and PCP compressors.
    I’ve been hand pumping for so many years and I finally made the big jump into buying a compressor and a tank.

I bought the Omega SC from AoA and got it on 06/03/2015.
    So far, I just love the setup so much that I’ve been shooting more often then before now.
    It’s a great compressor, “Just set it and forget it” pretty much.

I posted it here on Donny’s tread.
    http://talonairgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30238#p304854

There is nothing like having endless air !! :mrgreen:

~ GKU

iride
    Participant

GKU
    Next you are going to want a small tank to take in the field, And that is easy to tote around..
    I am in the same boat, Great White and a Sheldon compressor,,,
    Now I need a small tank,
    Mike

Anonymous
    Inactive
    quote iride:

GKU
    Next you are going to want a small tank to take in the field, And that is easy to tote around..
    I am in the same boat, Great White and a Sheldon compressor,,,
    Now I need a small tank,
    Mike

I’m still waiting for my 75 cu/ft Omega tank, on back order.
    But yes you’ve read my mind thinking of getting the AirHog 17 cu/ft, but it’s always been out of stock.

~ GKU

iride
    Participant

GKU I fill my great white to about 4800 psi and I get about a billon fills on my 25 and 22 cricket,
    I have never counted so I really can not say for sure, But unless I start shooting a lot more or get a big bore my compressor will last forever,
    I am also a gym rat, Joined at 17 and having to try and leave the big ones alone at 59,
    Its a life style, For sure, Saved my ass many times through the years,,,,
    So sorry for your loss, As a retired Hospice nurse, Just yesterday 30 years ago it happened .
    I live it every day.
    Mike

Anonymous
    Inactive
    quote iride:

GKU I fill my great white to about 4800 psi and I get about a billon fills on my 25 and 22 cricket,
    I have never counted so I really can not say for sure, But unless I start shooting a lot more or get a big bore my compressor will last forever,
    I am also a gym rat, Joined at 17 and having to try and leave the big ones alone at 59,
    Its a life style, For sure, Saved my ass many times through the years,,,,
    So sorry for your loss, As a retired Hospice nurse, Just yesterday 30 years ago it happened .
    I live it every day.
    Mike

Thanks Mike I appreciate that, something for ya, it helps me every time.

Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow

There are two days in every week about which we should not worry.
    Two days which should be kept free from fear and apprehension.

One of these days is yesterday with its mistakes and cares,
    Its faults and blunders, Its aches and pains.
    Yesterday has passed forever beyond our control.
    All the money in the world cannot bring back yesterday.
    We cannot undo a single act we performed.
    We cannot erase a single word we said. Yesterday is gone.

The other day we should not worry about is tomorrow.
    With its possible adversities, Its burdens,
    Its large promise and poor performance.
    Tomorrow is also beyond our immediate control.
    Tomorrow’s Sun will rise, either in splendor or behind a mask of clouds,
    but it will rise.
    Until it does, we have no stake in tomorrow, for it is yet unborn.
    This just leaves only one day . . . Today.
    Any person can fight the battles of just one day.

It is only when you and I add the burdens of those two awful eternity’s –
    Yesterday and tomorrow that we break down.
    It is not the experience of today that drives people mad.
    It is the remorse or bitterness for something which happened yesterday
    and the dread of what tomorrow may bring.

Let us therefore live but one day at a time.
    “author unknown”

~ Greg

bogman
    Participant

Bird, Joe no longer sells the Alpha 90. I called him a couple weeks ago to inquire about getting one. He had more issues with the Alpha than he wanted to deal with, especially the relatively short time between rebuilds.

Since my needs include some larger volume/caliber air rifles, reliability over the long haul is important. I ordered a Bauer JrII, 220v. They’re made in the USA, in VA where I live. Given the option, I’ll almost always pick USA make or European. Over the course of years, the initial higher cost has paid off. In any case, because the humidity here has remained in the 90% +, and the indoor humidity (with AC running) is 68% +, I had to pick a system with serious drying capacity- trap blow-off and filtering. The CF tank w/ fittings arrived, now the compressor needs to arrive and get wired up.

birdman
    Participant

Thanks bogman for the info on the Alpha 90 . My Great White came in Friday and the Fed X driver asked me what I was going to use my
    tank for and I said it was going to be used to fill my new Vulcan PCP air gun . I told the driver that I may have to spend about 2 K for a
    compressor so I will be able fill the Great White . The driver said no I won’t need to buy a compressor , that there was a fire extinguisher
    service shop only 10 miles away that would be able to fill the Great White . So Friday I took my tank there and the owner said he would
    be able to charge it to the max pressure for $11.50 and pick it up on Monday since they are closed on week-ends . So I no longer need a
    compressor and now I will have my Great White ready to fill ( SPOCK ) the Vulcan went it gets here this coming Friday . Again thanks for
    the Alpha 90 up-date .

Anonymous
    Inactive

That a good price Birdman ! :mrgreen:

For me to get a fill to max pressure would have cost me $25.
    To be dropped off and pick up the next day is a round trip of 14 miles x 2.

I’d figured on my Omega SC to be paid off after about 6-7 years.
    Friends have pay me $15 to top off their tanks which I put aside to use to buy more pellets.

~ GKU

bogman
    Participant

Bird, you’ve got a good deal there. You’re lucky to get that fill pressure so close to home :thumb:

I’ve been using a Hill pump for everything out here for about 5-6 years. One hour, round-trip to a dive shop that can only fill to 3,300 psi was not worth it.

Before I’d fill someone else’s tank, you bet I’d check the life/hydro test. Don’t want a rocket or a bomb going off in the house 😯

Anonymous
    Inactive

We’ll do Bogman.

I’ve been using a hand pump for many years also.

A trip right down my street there is a dive shop that can only fill to maybe 3,500 psi not worth the trouble even for $3.
    Might be able to top fill my Cricket only 6 times.

~ GKU

birdman
    Participant

bogman , congrats on the new Bauer JR II compressor , I was also thinking if I really had to buy a compressor even though it comes at a
    pretty price that would have been the best choice to make for a compressor . Enjoy your toys as I enjoy mine .

joe-brancato
    Participant
    quote bogman:

Bird, Joe no longer sells the Alpha 90. I called him a couple weeks ago to inquire about getting one. He had more issues with the Alpha than he wanted to deal with, especially the relatively short time between rebuilds.

Since my needs include some larger volume/caliber air rifles, reliability over the long haul is important. I ordered a Bauer JrII, 220v. They’re made in the USA, in VA where I live. Given the option, I’ll almost always pick USA make or European. Over the course of years, the initial higher cost has paid off. In any case, because the humidity here has remained in the 90% +, and the indoor humidity (with AC running) is 68% +, I had to pick a system with serious drying capacity- trap blow-off and filtering. The CF tank w/ fittings arrived, now the compressor needs to arrive and get wired up.

You are correct. While I still have a couple in stock, I am tired of either replacing or repairing the Chinese compressors. We had so many fail after the customer received them that I am warranting the units I sold, but I just don’t feel comfortable with continuing to sell them. I would rather sit on the inventory than offer it. The failure rate was too high, and the complexity of replacing the seals was way too involved. I tell people if they want an inexpensive compressor, go for a Shoebox. I have sold literally hundreds of them and not had one problem. To rebuild a Shoebox is a simple matter of replacing some o-rings.

If they want a CHEAP compressor, then I explain that while the Shoebox, Alpha, (and Omega same modely made by the same company) , etc. are cheap initially, they will still need to purchase a SAFE filter that actually works. A filter on the first stage only get the moisture being compressed from 0 -125 PSI, not the moisture that drops out from 125-4500 PSI.

Simplest explanation/proof why one needs a filter AFTER the Shoebox/Alph/Omega. I live in a semi-arid region (SoCal). When I fill a tank, even in this low humidity, I get at least 3 tablespoons of water each time I fill my tanks. Imagine if you live in a place wiht any kind of humidity. Also, You need to bleed out the moisture BEFORE it goes into the filter, or it will saturate. Filters are NOT made to collect the bulk of the moisture (that is why my filter has a bleeder at the bottom end, to let out the water BEFORE hitting the media). After that, there is STILL HUMID air going in the filter, that is what the filter is suppose to remove.

I STRONGLY URGE PEOPLE TO READ WHAT IS SAFE, AND WHAT ISN’T when it comes to basic filter design. It will become obvious to you what to do, and what NOT. http://www.airtanksforsale.com/AlphaFilter/

By the time you buy a $400 filter and and a compressor you will be paying between $1500 to $2100 for a compressor/filter combo. If that is acceptable, then go for it. At that point I show people that they are close to half the cost of a Bauer. The Bauer compressors will fill a Great White 97 Cu Ft in less than 30 minutes and top if off from 3000-4500 PSI in under 10 minutes. AND they have a real filter built in.

Yes, I do have cheaper compressors at $3000 such as the Coltri (makers of the gray market Daystate compressor) and other compressors, but if you call up the distributors forr these cheaper units they will tell you they need to be rebuilt after only 100 hours. I thought that was a long time, but after only 2 years of light use, I had to rebuld my Coltri. I put close to $450 worth of parts to bring it up to factory new, not including my labor. This has to be done every 100 hours, while the Bauers only have to be done every 1,000 to 1,500 hours. That’s 10-15 rebuilds before you will rebuild a a Bauer (call the Bauer and the others to confirm if you doubt this). There is a reason you see Bauer in all the fire departments.

Fortunately (if not for me, for someone else) after I rebuilt my compressor. just that week we moved into the new airgun warehouse but it doesn’t have 220V, only 208V 3-phase, so I haven’t used it since. Now it sits like brand new, iat my house. I’ll probably sell it. It’s ironic that while I have in stock a number of gasoline powered units, and literally a dozen BAuer JRII units Electric Units, all are 220V, not 208V so I had to wait a few weeks for the special motor 208V version. Weird thing was I had a buddy/customer that also needed a 208V that was locl (what were the odd of that?).

As for me, since I need to fill a tank in under 30 minutes I’ve gone with a unit that will last (The Bauer) than all the other SCUBA compressors offered. If I had the luxury of time, I might have saved the money and gone for a Shoebox Freedom8. Like I said, I have sold hundred and neve had an issue so they are MUCH more reliable, and MUCH more easier to build than these Chinese units I have in stock.

FYI: I GUARANTEE to have the best price on any Bauer unit.

zonk
    Participant

Joe’s right. I bought my Shoebox Freedom 8 from him and that’s been 100+ hours ago with no problems at all. Being I’m retired, time doesn’t mean Jack to me. 3000 to 4500, 2.5 to 3 hours. My Great White will last me 60 days of shooting.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.