Noob to TAG with a Hill MK4 pump problem

Home Forums General Compressors, tanks and pumps Noob to TAG with a Hill MK4 pump problem

• This topic has 15 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    airgun-bill
    Participant

Hello all just decided to start shooting my air rifles after a 10 year period of inactivity. I had an older RWS hand pump that the seals were probably are bad and decided to upgrade to better pump. I got the Hill MK4 pump from Pyramid Air last Friday and put it together and decided to fill my Career 707 Tanker. I bought a Career/Shinsung probe and installed it in the hose end fitting. When I went to pump up the rifle it would pump up to about 50 bar and the handle would become hard to raise and pull back down. The owners manual says this is a sign of worn seals which should not be the case. Any ideas of what might be the problem. I notice the pump at the fully raised position had a little play in it. Could the internal seals need some silicone grease. I did add some silicone to the pump shaft and the base of the pump. I have a scuba tank that I proceed to fill the rifle with no problems. I think it had about 2000 psi at the time of fill. I would sure like to have a parts breakdown and seal install instructions for the future but could not find anything online. I will of course be contacting Pyramid Air first thing tomorrow. Thank in advance for any help. Airgun Bill

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have the MK3 but there’re very similar.

It could be one of three problems, most likeliest first.

First it could be the main pressure O-ring is bad.
    Don’t over lube this O-ring.

Second it could be the valve spring and or O-ring is bad.
    Lightly lube this O-ring.

Third it could be the two black rubber balls located on the top of the pump needs cleaning.
    If lube get on these balls it can cause pumping issues.

You deserve a new out of box working one for the good money spent.
    I’d return it to PA if I where you.

:tag: ~ GKU

airgun-bill
    Participant

Thanks GKU for your thoughts. As I mentioned this is a brand new pump but who knows how long it has been in the box. I did watch a two part youtube video on cleaning the Hill MK3 pump with sub titles no audio. Seemed like a lot of parts but learning anything new can be quite overwhelming. I saw on Pyramid Air that the rebuild kit for the MK4 comes with instructions. I don’t know how long this model has been out. Maybe not long as I could not find maintenance videos or parts pictures like for the MK3.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It’s rather new about 3 months on sale at PA IIRC.

The Hill Hand Pumps are the easiest to rebuild among the 4 pumps I have.

If you haven’t heard of Power Boosting your hand pump here’s some cool links for ya.
    http://www.marauderairrifle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9610
    http://www.marauderairrifle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8988

I haven’t tried it yet because I’m thinking of getting a Omega compressor in the near future.
    The cost to refill a scuba tank where I’m at cost $25 per fill to 4500 psi and is about 10 miles from where I live.
    Right down the street from my house is a dive shop that only $3 fills to 3500 psi.
    But with a great white I might be able to top off my Crickets only 6 times compared to the 22 times if it’s filled to 4500 psi.

So, I’m just trying to decide to make the big jump and spend about $2525.00 for a compressor and tank setup. 😳

~ ATB ~ GKU

airgun-bill
    Participant

Talked to Pyramid Air tech about the trouble filling my Career 707 Tanker Carbine and the pump handle being pulled back down after the up stroke. They said it definitely sounded like a pump problem. I sent the pump back today. They were good enough to say they would send me a new replacement pump out today.

airgun-bill
    Participant

As a follow up, I got my Hill MK4 pump replacement a few days ago. I put it together and it is working fine. I installed a female QR fitting on the Hill hose end. I also bought a male QR fill adapter to take care on my Talon SS and an Air Venturi male QR and a Career probe to fill my Career. I did have a little problem when first using the pump. Believe it or not I was not pumping fast enough. I guess I took the instruction to hesitate at the top and bottom of the pump stroke to the extreme.

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you plan to do a lot of shooting, Like your retired or something , Buy a compressor, Money well spent,
    I bought a Sheldon compressor and used it with my great white three times in six months , at that rate it will last me about 90 years…
    Very good investment…. Just my two cents….
    Mike

zonk
    Participant

Any time your not hand pumping, unless your :hoot: and using it for a penis pump, it’s worth every penny.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve finally joined the Endless Air club and bought a Omega SC !!

~ GKU

Anonymous
    Inactive

That’s a real pretty pump, I like it.
    Mike

Anonymous
    Inactive
    quote iride:

That’s a real pretty pump, I like it.
    Mike

Thanks Mike !

I am a newbie when it comes to an air tank let alone a compressor.
    Been hand pumping my PCPs for many years, now I’m placing all but one into storage.

~ GKU

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yea, I am using a great white tank, When you fill it to about 4,800 psi you get about a billon shoots out of your Crickets , I looked at my Sheldon book for my compressor and I have only filled the tank TWICE!!!!!!!!!!!!! In six months, That’s two billon shots, I am going to order more pellets , More bird feed and build another bird feeder ,
    and start trying real hard to get my moneys worth out of this compressor,
    GKU when you get a compressor you just got to start shooting more to reason why you got a compressor in the first place,
    It sure makes the sport more enjoyable.
    Mike

Anonymous
    Inactive
    quote iride:

Yea, I am using a great white tank, When you fill it to about 4,800 psi you get about a billon shoots out of your Crickets , I looked at my Sheldon book for my compressor and I have only filled the tank TWICE!!!!!!!!!!!!! In six months, That’s two billon shots, I am going to order more pellets , More bird feed and build another bird feeder ,
    and start trying real hard to get my moneys worth out of this compressor,
    GKU when you get a compressor you just got to start shooting more to reason why you got a compressor in the first place,
    It sure makes the sport more enjoyable.
    Mike

Where I live there is a lot of scuba shop everywhere even one right down the street from our house.
    But they only fill to 3,000-3,500 psi, so not worth the effort for me.
    They is only one place that I know of that fills to 4,500 psi for $25 and it’s 20 miles round trip.
    Then I need to go back again to pick it up the next day, maybe ?

My friends can use the top offs too, particularly the one that drives use to the farm every week for pesting that’s 43 miles one way.
    He drops off his extra tank for a fill when he comes and he drives then I can drink, iride fair trade I think ? :18:

I have notice so far that I don’t hesitate to shoot now and have been shooting more ever since getting the compressor about a tin per time.
    I’d figured with a 75 cubic I’ll be filling it to 4500psi about once a month and break even in about 6 years or so.

I’ve been hand pumping my PCPs so long that it’s hard for me to get use to the easy of a fill now.
    I and had to think/manage before going shooting that I needed to fill a gun up the night before.
    No need to plan anymore, just quick fill and off I go.

It’s like what Donny said, there is nothing like having endless air ! :mrgreen:

You’re a brave man Mike to fill to 4,800 psi ! 😯

~ GKU

zonk
    Participant

Greg, more than likely you would have to make two trips to get your tank filled to 4500 psi. I had a place 25 miles away and they would keep it for two days as the tank heated up during filling. That’s 100 miles for me and I did it once. Then bought my Freedom 8 Shoebox and never looked back. Yes endless air is GREAT!!!! I have made so far 25 fills on my Great White tank without any problems with my Freedom 8. Now I just shoot away…You will find yourself shooting more with endless air. In a few months not having to hand pump, your arms will look like Peewee Hermans…….

Anonymous
    Inactive

GKU The great white has a big safety over fill on it I am sure, The second time I paid 35 bucks to get my tank filled,
    The guys did not speak real good English and put it in a back of a pickup and filed from a big compressor and air tanks tied together.
    They pegged the gage out at 5000 psi and said how much more air do you want, Time I got it home it cooled off to a even 4800 psi .
    I thought I might have shorten the life of my tank and went to a few tank builders in my area, They said I could fill that tank to 6000 psi for the next 30 years…
    Not that I would, They were impressed with the tank, Both company’s thought I was a fireman with a tank like that, When I told them no a retired nurse and I shoot pellet guns with the compressed air, All I got was a blank stare and something about dam BB guns are dangerous , :suprisedn:
    In Texas all rim fire, Center fire guns are safe, :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
    Forks and spoons do not make you fat, :rofl:
    Mike

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.