New Impact Mk2 Build

Home Forums BullPups FX New Impact Mk2 Build

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    caboose212
    Participant

So I finally broke down and got an Impact. It just checked off a LOT of boxes for me. The Mk2 with power plenum is about the best version so far, so I finally caved and got one. I got a .30 Compact. I’m going to set this rifle up for cast slugs. Here’s the plan:

500cc tank (using a CF 4500 psi tank)
    28″ OAL TJ 1-26 barrel
    HuMa dual TP
    HuMa slug probe
    HuMa extra high pressure reg
    Saber Tactical Arca Swiss rail
    Saber Tactical adjustable cheek piece
    FX Slug kit
    Ergo Zero Angle grip

That’s about it for now… I’m also working on getting a new .30 slug design made. I’ll keep y’all posted!

caboose212
    Participant

New .30 mold is in the Accurate catalog. It’s a flat nose (can be hollow pointed), .375 OAL, flat bottom. Mold number 30-062M. Should drop slugs around 62 gr. before HP. It’s a re-hash of the 68 gr. .30 Bob’s Boat Tail slug. We dropped the BT, and lengthened it back out to .375″ so it shouldn’t have any issues loading in any magazines.

I just got my Saber Tactical extended rail/trigger guard. I got the gen2 version. I like it!! It should put the bipod mount right at the end of the 500cc bottle. Maybe a hair longer even. Won’t know for a little bit. I’m waiting on my adjustable pin wrench so I can take the FX bottle valve off so I can install it in the 500cc bottle.

I also got my dual TP in the mail as well.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by caboose212.
    caboose212
    Participant

I got the 1/8″ adjustable pin wrench earlier than expected. I swapped the 500cc 4500 psi bottle onto the Impact. The Ebay bottles have a shorter neck than the FX bottles- I was worried about clearances. I’ve got plenty of room between the bottle and the valve spring adjuster. I’ve also got A LOT of clearance near the receiver, due to the Saber Tactical (ST) rail. The picatinny rail extends just past the end of the bottle.

Note: if you’re going to swap a Compact bottle for a larger one, and are going to use a ebay bottle, double check your pin wrench! If you’re not careful, you may damage your tank. I almost made that mistake… I had to shave some material from the pin end of the wrench so I wouldn’t damage my tank. The neck of the ebay tanks are significantly thicker than the FX bottles.

anthony266
    Keymaster

Lets see some pics..

Congrats!

caboose212
    Participant

picture test:

View post on imgur.com

caboose212
    Participant

Okay, not sure where the rest of the post went… Maybe this will work?

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

caboose212
    Participant

I really don’t like that picture format. Oh well, not a big deal I suppose. At least I can post pictures. Anyhoo, I got the Ergo Zero Angle Grip this morning and put it on the Impact. I then took it apart a little bit to get some of the parts painted up. The paint is Aluma-Hyde 2 Desert Tan. It’s a good compromise between standard rattle-can paint and Duracoat aerosol, and it’s easier and cheaper than Cerakote. It’s a epoxy paint, and it does take a while to fully cure. But you can lightly handle it after 24 hours. So the Impact will be getting re-assembled tomorrow.

caboose212
    Participant

I’ve ordered a 30-062M mold from Accurate. Here’s a pic:

View post on imgur.com

It’s a re-worked version of the NOE .30 BBT. This is a flat nose because Accurate doesn’t do hollow points. I’ll have to send this mold off to Erik to have that done. These should drop from the mold around 62 grains. Once HP’d, they might be around 56 gr. That’s a SWAG, don’t hold me to it. I’ll let y’all know once I get some slugs in my hands.

caboose212
    Participant

Temporarily reassembled. HuMa Gen3 Extra High Pressure reg ordered, along with the Slug Power Kit.

View post on imgur.com

caboose212
    Participant

The 500cc bottle has been installed, and all the small parts are in:

HuMa probe, dual TP, Extra High Pressure reg
    FX Slug Power Kit
    Saber Tactical adjustable cheek piece and Gen2 Arca Swiss rail
    Ergo Zero Angle grip

Now all that’s left is the barrel, and I’ll be ordering the blank on the 1st. So the barrel should be done mid-March or thereabouts. So hopefully by early spring I’ll be able to get this rifle dialed in! The new mold should be done by then as well, so I can get some flat base slugs cast. I’m ecstatic for this spring/summer!!

caboose212
    Participant

I haven’t been able to get a hold of TJ’s, either by phone or email. I hope all is well with the family, considering what-all is going on in the world…

I found a .30 700mm FX liner. I’m going to sleeve the liner in a 14mm O.D. CF tube. The tube is 10mm I.D., so I’m going to have to slightly open it up, to have room for the liner. There’s not going to be much of a gap between the two. I’ll be using JB Weld to epoxy the liner in place. I’ve also got some 28mm O.D. CF tube so I can extend the factory faux LDC/LDC adapter. All the factory bits from the Compact’s barrel assembly are going to be used to assemble my barrel (except for the Compact’s liner shroud and liner of course). I’ve already checked fit between the 14mm O.D. tube and the Impact, and it fits just as well as the factory barrel assembly. Doing it this way should also stiffen up the barrel assembly considerably as well. I don’t care about the slight weight increase- It’s not significant enough to care.

I’ll have to make a coupler to go between the original faux LDC and the new CF tube extension, then blend the joint smooth before paint. Once painted, no one will see the joint. Hopefully. My barrel assembly should be indistinguishable from a factory one, until you get right up on it and see the CF barrel sleeve… Which is the goal. I’ll post some pics when I have some.

Rowdy
    Participant

This has been one special build you have here! I have really liked the read on all of it!!!

Now, just a question on the cf tube and the liner fit! If the cf tube id is 10mm, is that exactly 10mm?

Then what is the od of the liner? We talking about a couple of .001″  ?

If only 1, maybe 2 thousandth of an inch difference, there might just be another way to get these two together. Might even be so you would never need epoxy either…

The only thing I would not like about the epoxy part is I have seen where the epoxy will be thin in one area and heavier in others, that all gets together in exactly the wrong way on this barrel build up, least if was mine it would. Just say’n and food for thought.

Now of course I am thinking and talking decimals of an inch and you have been talking in metrics.

Either way I am curious as to the difference between the id of the tube and od of the liner, like just how close are these?

The 28mm cf shroud sounds like the rest of your build sir.

Very intense and quite the project!

Awesome

caboose212
    Participant

The new CF barrel sleeve is 14mm O.D., which is the same as a factory sleeve. The I.D. is 10mm. I’m going to have to slightly open up the I.D. so the FX liner will fit. The FX liner is 10mm O.D. The JB Weld will spread on pretty uniformly, since the tolerance will be pretty tight. Epoxy will be spread on both the liner and inside the sleeve before putting the two together. Also, just like with the factory set up, the two end pieces will be doing most of the holding duties. I picked JB Weld for this job because in the past, I’ve used Loctite 648 (which needs to be a VERY close fit to cure properly)- which didn’t fully cure, months after being assembled. Epoxy will cure regardless, as long as it’s mixed right.

Rowdy
    Participant

Now I understand what you’re planning on doing with this killer project of yours so far…

I just thought I’d give you something else you could think about trying and that’s put your liner in the freezer and just really hard chill it and then Mic that thing before you put it in your carbon sleeve, but as a rule, metal will draw!

Now something this thin won’t stay cold forever so you might just check and see how it measures and then throw it back in the freezer and re-chill it before you try and install it if the size looks good.

Just something you might think about, certainly your killer project though!

This liner you’re going to use is that an fx smooth twist barrel liner or?

caboose212
    Participant

That is an idea… I may try that! I’d still epoxy the ends in place though…

Yes, the liner is an FX factory liner. 1-26 twist.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.