Need an engineer here

Home Forums General Mods/Machinists Need an engineer here

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    triggerman
    Participant

I have in my feeble old mind, a design of a baffle system inside the shroud to help muffle the sound of a shot. In micorsoft paint, I drew out a very oversized rough design, and need input if you think it will work, or additional ideas to add to it.

The orange colored ring would be a thick rubber hose, similar to a car heater hose, a hydraulic hose or something like that. The inside black ring is a piece of PVC pipe perforated with holes. The blue blocks would be somekind of spacers to act as bushings to keep the PVC pipe completely steady and inline from the end of the barrel to the opening of the end cap, to keep pellets from clipping.

The holes drilled through the bottom of the rubber hose would allow excess air to be pushed from the hollow spaces between the PVC and rubber hose and out through the frame, where holes are drilled in the frame underneath the forearm.

My thinking is that the thick rubber hose would insulate alot of the sound. I don’t know, what do you think?

skybones
    Participant

Try it out! there is no set standard. Who knows? that might be a better design than all the ones people are using now. Let us know how it works. My guns stay apart as much as they do together(not all! at one time!), I enjoy the challenge of making them better. tz

skybones
    Participant

I looked again,and I think keeping those blue things in line might be a problem,however,you could put the right size O-rings at intervals on the pvc. The main objective ,is to give the air a place to go,fairly easily, other than out the end of the gun. Different size chambers seem to break up the airflow better. good luck

synopsys
    Participant

If you left out the orange part (which at this point is just decreasing the expansion chamber within the frame and going to make the sound, louder) you may get some increased sound scrub from drilling the inner (black tubing)…

triggerman
    Participant

synopsis, that is one question I asked a couple of weeks ago, if extending the shroud would help. Somebody one here (can’t remember who now) mentioned he builds this shroud extension like you diagramed, but I could not swallow the $200 price tag for a 6″ piece of aluminum tubing, so now I am on to exploring other avenues.

walkonking
    Participant
    triggerman
    Participant

Hey Adam thanks alot.

I’m going to invest $48 bucks into one first thing tomorrow morning. I will give an update when it is here and what I think about it.

THANKS !!!!

benfishin2day
    Participant

Hey Triggerman

The $ 48.00 shroud is a hollow tube………….Tony’s is not……I’m not sure what he does internally but he baffles it somehow.

I’m not a machinist or anything……..so I really don’t know what he does.

I know Shaky bought the Frame extender for $ 48………..maybe pm him & see how it works before you purchase it……..just my .02

shaky
    Participant

Would you add baffels and spacers to the Frame Extender?

walkonking
    Participant
    quote benfishin2day:

Hey Triggerman

The $ 48.00 shroud is a hollow tube………….Tony’s is not……I’m not sure what he does internally but he baffles it somehow.

I’m not a machinist or anything……..so I really don’t know what he does.

I know Shaky bought the Frame extender for $ 48………..maybe pm him & see how it works before you purchase it……..just my .02

I got one of Tony’s and it is professionally done. Very efficient and great craftsmanship. It works great. Worth the price.

But for those who cant pony up the dough the frame extender will help. It is litterally a hollow tube with a cap. And that is why the price is much less. Tony’s has special baffles and matches the outer diameter of the frame which requires a good amount of machine time.

I love and if you can get one one day you will love it also.

marc
    Participant

I don’t want to badmouth someone here but I still think 200 buck is a fairly steep price, for a threaded adapter, ali pipe and some plastic inside. I know machining and baffles are quite easilly made.

But I must admit that Tony’s looks professional!

Regards,

Marc

y
    Participant

Marc,

I agree that $200 is rather expensive, I have a lathe and that’s saved me
    a LOT of cash for various things like shrouds I’ve made myself compared
    to if I bought them from someone else.

$200 seems to be the starting price for shrouds

Ponoma airguns make them for Rapids starting at $225 and other guns
    on request.

http://www.pomona-airguns.com/Shrouds.htm

And Alan Zasadny who doesnt have a website charges $300 + for Rapid
    shrouds last I heard.

The only other AF specific shrouds are the Air Hog, which was $175 a few
    years ago and now I beleive its $200 and not baffled and he Bulls Eye
    Bill un baffled frame xtender thats been mentioned above for less than
    $50.

Mac-1 used to or still might sell baffles for the frame for the SS.. and they
    were $65 I believe… anyone could buy the materials AND the tools to get
    some springs and cut them to size, dress the ends properly and end up
    with a gun just as quiet.

To me…. as someone who can make his own stuff, even the Bulls Eye Bill
    un-baffled extender is overpriced at $40 odd dollars as I could make my
    own baffled one for less.

airgunner
    Participant

Also try to rememebr that you aren’t necessarily paying for the materials, as much as you are paying for the experience and knowledge of the person performing the work! People think I charge a lot for an air conditioning service call when I charge $50 an hour, plus a $50 “ding dong” service call. BUT if you think of the schooling, training and >15 years of experience I have, and can fix any electrical/mechanical problem within an hour…that is not bad.
    If you can’t do something, or don’t have the tools and knowledge to perform the task at hand, then paying someone who knows what to do and how to do it, (and would take 1/10 the time it would for you to waste $$$ and time and still not get it right) is the way to go.

walkonking
    Participant
    quote Marc:

I don’t want to badmouth someone here but I still think 200 buck is a fairly steep price, for a threaded adapter, ali pipe and some plastic inside. I know machining and baffles are quite easilly made.

But I must admit that Tony’s looks professional!

Regards,

Marc

I hear you Marc….Talon SS $470, Condor $550, Rapid $2000, Airwolf $2200 etc. airgun hobby prices are much higher then a lot of people like. When you compare what you can get in the firearm world for the same price the powder burners think we are insane.

The good thing is we can save some $$$ by making things for ourselves. But to tell you the truth the money I have spent to simply make, caps, concave baffles and obtain perfect symmetry cost far more then just buying the part. And some folk will never have the mills, lathes or time and experience to make stuff for themselves. So for those who simply want to buy one done professionally, they will pony up the dough.

The good thing is there is an option for everyone and if someone wants a shroud it is within their reach one way or another by us helping them with info on how to make it or they can go buy one.

skybones
    Participant

Your right Adam. Even if your time is worth nothing, the machinery and tooling is big bucks,not to mention the ($$$) materials waisted screwing up while you learn. Of course accomplished machinist wouldn’t need to buy. Like you said,it can be done with basic tools,and materials. It may not look as pretty,but it will work.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.