Q:

My New Project Gun

. I just bought her yesterday , she will be here in a few days . She’s not exactly a looker but the guy I got her forms a good judge of accuracy. And she’s a winner .
I’ll update with pics as I go along with the restore

Springers

All Replies

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

1 2 3

Thanks Cricket , I’m getting there slowly but surely

Damn, your good at refinishing stocks!

. . . . My two latest before and afters …Top is a 300s from 1982, bottom is a 300 sporter from 1969 ..I tried to finish them in the same way because I’ll be bringing them to a gun show in a week . I was trying to make them look unrestored but well kept

Yep I can tear one down , pop out the old parts and have her back together in pretty short order ..What honestly takes the longest besides the stock work is cleaning them up first . They are almost ALWAYS caked in grease and oil and dirt . I think the general thinking is that when it starts shooting oddly slap more more lube in there …When the FWB rifles are designed to use a spot of lube over the entire gun no bigger than the letter 0 on this page.
I use moly and when I tear my own gun down I wipe it dry as possible and there is always just a hint of moly in the piston chamber and its More than enough . Other thing is the Myth about cleaning barrels on airguns …I’ve literally popped two bore snakes trying to pull it thru the bore it was SOOOO filthy !! Now I just brush it wet with hoppes before a ever start shooting it .

Purty! Wood with rings, burls, etc is more interesting and beautiful than plain-grain. Joe, you must be able to rebuild these in your sleep by now!

I need to find a stock maker. In my basement, I snagged a beautiful, 11+ ft. long Black Walnut board, cut locally. It’s big enough for several rifle stocks and has been stabilizing for years. Out here, there are many gorgeous lumber trees: Osage Orange, Black Cherry, spalted Maple, burled oaks, plus the standards: Hickory, Ash, Red, Black and White oak, Red Cedar, Table Mt. Pine.

Lots of trees makes for short zeroes when setting up a scope; no 100 yard shots here. Major downside is the humidity… over 90% right now.

. Built this one over the weekend . Man I love the mineral streaking in the buttstock . Shot lights out .

. This is one I finished yesterday , took almost every part I had to rebuild it . It wasn’t neglected but somebody had SATURATED it with grease and oil and dirt had scarred almost all the moving pieces . Some polished out , some I had to replace .

No Bogman it was sold as soon as I posted it . 25 mins :)…Just got two more they both need different stuff . I’ll post some more before and after pics . They always look so Muddy and flat when I get em.in . I HATE the stain on the wood

You thinking of keeping this one, Joe?

Man, you do have that scope down low. Almost looks like it’s touching the front ring.

. My latest build …Gun literally showed up in a box in pieces. Before and After… .

I’d love to Mike , but I don’t have a spring compressor and that would be almost impossible to put back together without one . The 300s are very weak rifles so I can put it together , and take it apart without one . I’m gonna keep rebuilding them until I find that ” majic” rifle that just can’t miss . lol

Dam Nice going Joe.
Can I send you my super max and have you tune it for me?
Mike

Put a Macarri spring in it this afternoon . Felt stronger and less twang than the double spring set up . It got dark before I took any pics but it was shooting Quarter size groups at 38 yards . Guns already spoken for but its gonna be hard to let go of. :). I’ll ship it next week to its new home , the guys real experienced at applying cold blue . Can’t wait to see what it looks like after he finishes it .
I’ve never tried applying bluing , I may on next rifle I get . I’ll be posting for another to rebuild in a week or so .

quote JoeRhea:

I’m on the right path !!! She’s showing incredible promise

No joke, man! even the fliers are close-in, not fliers by the normal meaning

. I’m on the right path !!! She’s showing incredible promise

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

1 2 3
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.