My Modified Talon SS Rig

Home Forums AirForce Talon/Talon SS My Modified Talon SS Rig

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    shrpshotr28
    Participant

Being fairly new, thought I’d post a few pics of my SS.

First photo posting, so here goes.

Bought as a .177

Mods –
    adjustable trigger
    internal polish
    polish/debur tank valve
    24″ .22 bbl
    bills FrameExtender w/ baffles
    My own Woodwork
    Custom trigger guard (by me)
    Custom safety button (by me)
    af bipod
    bsa 6-24×50 mil dot ir.

Next up: .25 BBL, SHROUD, & HAMMER from Tony

The stock is from a sweetgum tree cut down in my back yard. Trigger guard is cut/shaped from a piece of 3/32 scrap I had laying around.
    Didn’t like the af safety or squared off trigger guard, so re-did to suit my taste. Safety worked out great, coutour fits tip of trigger finger and haven’t got to shift my grip on the gun to push it off. (also great clearance for gloves in winter.

Best shot so far, a crow at about 70yd while at work. Boss bet me I couldn’t do it. Kodiac + muffled pop = dead crow. Boss’s reaction was priceless. Guess his thought was airgun+distance+crow=no way in hell.

teflontron
    Participant

That is awesome that you made the grips from a tree that was growing in your garden. That really does give the whole thing an extra feeling of satisfaction in my book.

butcher45
    Participant

That’s about the nicest woodwork I can recall seeing on an Airforce. Very, very nice!

Butcher

knifemaker
    Participant

Sweet!!!

saugus18
    Participant

Really nice! Never heard of that kind of wood, but looks great. Your custom trigger guard makes total sense to me, as my trigger finger on the stock one seems to rub way to hard against the bottom of it, and always wished there was more clearance there, not comfortable. I may have to incorporate your idea….

ultrareef
    Participant

Very cool, thanks for posting!!! 🙂

shrpshotr28
    Participant

[quote=”Saugus18″]Really nice! Never heard of that kind of wood, but looks great. Your custom trigger guard makes total sense to me, as my trigger finger on the stock one seems to rub way to hard against the bottom of it, and always wished there was more clearance there, not comfortable. I may have to incorporate your idea….[/quote

Saugus,

The sweetgum tree looks a lot like a maple and has little thorny seed balls that cover the ground every fall.

Here’s a rough rundown of the trigger guard (excuse my poor ability with “paint” program). Aside from functional, I think it adds a good line to a gun with a few too many square corners. Thanks for looking. I would be happy to build another if you are not inclilned to DIY.

saugus18
    Participant

Thanks for that info and diagram. If I were to do this I’d probably just keep the angle look on trigger guard, just making it a bit deeper for more finger clearance, plus it would be easier for me to make lol. I forgot to mention your custom safety as well, which also looks a heck of alot more easier to use, as opposed the the stock dinky nub they give you.

shrpshotr28
    Participant

I decided first time I spent a good shooting session with mine that taking one hand off the gun to push the safety off with my thumb while aiming was unaccaptable. Polishing made the safety operate smoother, but still was so small that it was hard to push with my trigger finger while looking through the scope, hence the “backward trigger”. Now I can follow my target (gun on safe) and when he pauses, push-pull (safety/trigger) without disturbing grip or sight picture hardly at all.

trescuervos
    Participant

is that some kind of rust on the bottle valve ring?

its a pretty nice wood job you have there…you are one of that shooters who also be an artist.!

is always necesary give some warm wood look to the AF, they are a little bit cold.

synopsys
    Participant

I like the reverse trigger safety release….

WOK you taking notes…! 😯

shrpshotr28
    Participant

Thanks for the compliment.

Bill of materials: old allen wrench
    m12x1.5 18mm hex nut

Split nut in half, welded one half to allen wrench and shaped with a bench grinder and file. With a small lathe & mill I might be able to do some nice work.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.