Q:

My home build… (pic’s)

Hi all,

I have a small update for my Talon/Condor/whatever it ends up as build…

my bushing turned down and ready to be shrink fit…

Here it is after a painfully steep learning curve with shrink fitting. The third time was the charm…

The set screws are my insurance policy in case my first ever attempt at shrink fitting turns out marginal. I’ll likely hide then under the rail and trigger group block.

And the bits so far together.

I’m going to tackle the guts of my valve this week and hopefully get the openings and slots cut into the tube.

More updates as I progress.
MB

Mods/Machinists

All Replies

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

1 2

looking very sweet mate keep it up 😀

Looks very good!!!! you get a good point the keep the the tube shape by the breech, mail it a few times to AF but thy did’t reply. 😥

Oh that is Awesome love the work on your setup.

As a journeyman toolmaker, I have to tell you that is some fine looking work you have done there. 😯 It sounds like you are doing it the “hard way” But you sure cannot tell by its appearance. cant wait to see the finished project. and see some shooting results.

After much delay and procrastination I have a bit more work done on my build…

RakatiTakityTickaty Bang goes the drill press, yet it keeps on chipping away at what I throw at it…

MB

quote Shadoh:

That looks damn nice for drill press work. I know guys with mills who would struggle with that. I hate guys with all the nice toys and they dont know how to use them.

Hey hey hey.. back it down…. Wait.. you didnt mention me by name, nevermind 😆

Great to see what one can do, with what they have.

Roy S.

Looking good MB , drill press is far from ideal but half the fun is working around the limitations of your home tooling 😀 youre just have to take very light cuts 😯 good luck

That looks damn nice for drill press work. I know guys with mills who would struggle with that. I hate guys with all the nice toys and they dont know how to use them.

Another micro update…

Well I managed to cut in the loading/cocking port on my body tube. My drill press was none too happy with it’s responsibility’s as a milling machine and chose to show its displeasure by cutting erratically and sloppily. Fortunately I stopped my cuts short of my desired outline on all but one side. The bushing side cut did slightly cut into the brass bushing but only by .001″ so only my pride was hurt.

I had to do a fair amount of cleanup with small files to get everything reasonably neat. Unfortunately I won’t have that crisp “precision milled” look to much of my body tube but it should still function. I’m a little worried about how the radius’s for the top and bottom rails will turn out if I try and mill them with my drill press. I know thats going to be pushing the limit of what my drill press can handle. I may have to try an alternative approach or see if I can find somewhere that could prep my rail blanks with the appropriate radius cuts so I can just shape them and inlet them as needed.

So… one more step done, countless more still to do…

MB

Baby steps…baby steps…

MB

quote :

justforfun
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:40 pm Post subject: ?
Does you Foster male fitting have built in check valve?

Yup, it’s the simple shouldered pin with an O-ring check valve method. I hadn’t thought about the check valve pin contacting the valve return spring during filling, I’m thinking I’ll give it a try and if it pushed the spring off the seat of the stem I’ll have to forgo the fitting and make up a fill adapter.

As you might guess I’m making this up as I go along.

With a little luck I’ll have the valve done shortly and I can get on to the actual gun i.e. “the cool part”

MB

Very cool,

Looks great. Good idea

Does you Foster male fitting have built in check valve?

Like what you are doing, nice work.

Roy S.

Another little update…

Ok, so my valve works 😀

I just managed to fab up the stem seal and gave it a low pressure test. Apart from a minor leak past the valve seat until pressure builds enough to seal it, it seems to work. Time will tell if it passes enough gas to do the job, things are looking mighty tight in there…

I still have to tap in two more ports for the burst disk and the tank gauge. I figured I’d stick the gauge on just out of curiosity for how much pressure drop I experience and to relate that to how the valve manages to self regulate over a wide temp/pressure range(if it does at all).

The top hat is next. I screwed up and figured on a max stroke of 1/4″ but forgot to leave extra stem unthreaded for the top hat set screw to bear down on. I guess I might grind some flats around the threaded section for the set screw to seat on or just hope that if I’m gentle with the allen key I don’t mess up the threads too badly.

I could likely turn the seal diameter down to get more volume and flow but I’m not sure how much meat is necessary to prevent the valve seat from shearing off the thin edge of the seal and sending the stem out the valve 😯

MB

P.S. This is for a CO2 powered version, not sure if I mentioned that in the origional post…

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

1 2
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.