Skip to toolbar

My Brothers room in Baghdad

Home Forums Off Topic Off Topic My Brothers room in Baghdad

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    nuglor
    Participant

My brother is on his second tour flying helicopters in Iraq. This time he’s in Baghdad flying Blackhawks. He was lucky enough to get his own trailer and used a little bit of effort and good luck to fix up something that would make a 4 star hotel proud. I’ve included an article that was written in the local base paper and featured this picture.

Camp Victory is a tough place to describe. It is a hybrid of residential, commercial and in-dustrial areas. This unusual hy-brid seems to defy the simplest city planning ideals. Trucks belch black diesel exhaust, concrete is in no short supply, roads are little maintained and labyrinthine, and people scurry to and fro at all hours. The ubiquitous T-barriers conceal what most buildings look like. Architecture is not at the forefront of this war effort. It is difficult, at first glance, to see how this place is a home for so many thousands of people. A Co, 1-137 AVN has called this place home since March.
    Most soldiers share their rooms with a roommate. Some, based on either their rank, or their ability to sweet talk the housing staff into being allowed to have a room to themselves. CW4/MAJ and above are allotted their own room. There is no distinction be-tween CW3/CPT and below. From the humble E1 to the senior W3, all are equal in the eyes of
    the KBR staff – each is required to have a roommate.
    The rooms come equipped with the most spartan of trappings. Most people here have made some attempt to make their room a little more habitable. CW4 Dave Corbi recently had a hutch building party at Courage Pad. The goal was to have all the people who needed something simple built to show up. He had arranged for A Co‟s resi-dent building expert, SPC Troy Martin, to be on hand to assist those whose skills were not up to the task. There were several items built, including a hutch for Mr. Corbi, a cabinet-type thing for SGT Mike Stuthers and some 4X4 posts to raise a bed a foot for SPC Nate Cornetet.
    CW3 Ron Leath is one of those lucky souls that has acquired a room to himself. Mr. Leath has taken a higher path with his room decorations. Each room comes with two beds. Mr. Leath first dis-assembled his second bed and stored it underneath his primary. That freed up a lot of floor space that would be needed in the fol-lowing days. The first item acquired was an office chair that was being thrown away by MWR because it was missing one of five swivel wheels. Since there were two other chairs in the trash (all with one missing wheel), it was an easy enough fix to re-move a wheel from one and place it on the other. After cleaning it up, it would not be out of place in most home of-fices back home, and fits per-fectly in front of his computer desk. The second chair he also took and removed all the wheels for a stationary guest chair. Next up was some way to fix the floor. Two “Persian” rugs bought locally made the ideal floor covering. After obtaining a TV stand from a departing soldier, Mr. Leath purchased a 19” TV that went along with the DVD player he already had.
    Once his tough box ar-rived, Mr. Leath had his sound mixer and amplifier for his elec-tric guitar. A quick trip to the PX netted a fine leather sitting chair that he sinks into after a hard day‟s work. For the item that really tied the room to-gether, Mr. Leath had to go online. His crowning purchase was one of those items only found on Ebay: a wall painting a full 13‟X9‟. The scene is reminiscent of those Corona commercials that depict a body relaxing on the beach with a full view of the ocean. Reclining in his own personal Xanadu, drinking an NA beer, it‟s almost as if he is back at home, simply waiting for the Buckeye game to start.

CPT JOHNSON & 1SG RICHARD
    PEGASUS PRESS

Written By:
    CW2 Matthew McGregor

riffraff
    Participant

Nuglor! Where have you been? Havent seen a peep out of you for quite a while.

I sometimes wish I had followed my brothers into the military, but by the time I was old enough they wouldnt have allowed my then current indulgences. 😉

Probably for the best. My record as a pilot probably would have been known as less than stellar.

buzzcat
    Participant

Way cool, especially the wall pic. Until I read the article, I thought he was living large on a beach.

cdnhunter117
    Participant
    quote Buzzcat:

Way cool, especially the wall pic. Until I read the article, I thought he was living large on a beach.

Whoa that’s a wall pic?

buzzcat
    Participant
    quote Cdnhunter117:

quote Buzzcat:

Whoa that’s a wall pic?

Yeah, the article says so. Pretty cool, huh? You can buy ’em on the net. I’ve got a 60″ wide-format printer and I’ve done a couple of them before with killer results, but I’m currently lacking the software necessary to get the job done.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.