Q:

My best group with the 25 LBT 1.5 inches at 280 yards

I changed my casting and lubing routine two days ago to try and improve my bullets and it seems to have really paid off.

I started only filling one of the cavities of the two cavity LBT mold for more uniformity. I also made a lubing and inspection tray by drilling 340 holes into a board to hold 340 LBT bullets nose down so that only the base and driving bands are exposed,

This allows me to get a more uniform spray moly coverage and to inspect the bullets before spraying. I find I cull more this way.

Today I shot early in the mornig due to the almost constant spring winds here dying down. I moved my Explorer to the 280 yard line, about the maximum I can get here and still shoot from the hood. I tethered my 25 LBT rifle to 3000 PSI of air in a 44 cf tank and shot 5, 3 shot groups.

I did the three shot groups because I can get three shots off easier between wind changes.

I shot a sighter at the saw blade, holding at the top of the 3×4 3/16th inch 92 lb target plate because I still had a 260 yard zero and knew I would have a great day when I heard the cybal noise of a hit on the saw blade.

The first three groups had a slight side wind of maybe 3 MPH, it did not do much to the flags with the early morning moisture from the rain last night on them, but the groups which were really great, 5 inches wide and only 1.5 inches verticle.

I painted the target and power walked the 300 yards back to the Explorer which is uphill and gets my heart racing.

When I got to the Explorer the wind was dead still, I made adjustments to the Leupolds M1 knobs for drop and windage and held under the saw blade using the top reticle mill mark, it looked like a good group thru the scope, so I checked where it landed against the MOA reticle and it looked like I was zeroed.

I held on the center of the saw blade and shot the first shot of the last group and hit about 1 inch to the left of the center bolt on the saw blade. That got my hope up so I shot a 2nd shot, it touched the first shot!

I loaded another LBT and said to myself,”this is where you fuck it up”, I pushed send and waited for the full second of flight for that bullet to hit. In the Leupold I could see it splatter right next to the other two shots and then heard that wonderful cybal sound of 57 grains at 55 FPE hitting the saw blade.

I walked down to the target with my head about three times bigger than normal, the first group was 4.25 inches and the last group on the saw blade was 1.5.

Regards,

Roachreek

Airforce Rifles/Pistols

All Replies

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

Great shooting RC!

quote roachcreek:

Kazz,

It is not like I am going to be a 1.5 inch 300 yard group shooter from now on out. That day I was averaging 4.25 to 5 inches but pretty consistantly.

I just happen to have a dedicated long range rifle and scope combination and a place to use it, and the desire.

Frankly I would not make a pimple on your ass when it comes to groups shooting, your shooting is simply phenominal.

Riff and Moneyshot,

The Mercedes does run and I had been working a deal with Caldwell and Mercedes to have a commerative 58 Mercedes 220S benchrest made, but the first ones the chinese made for us resembled a Yugo and oddly enough had Crosman stamped on the trunk. 😛

Regards,

Roachcreek

😆

LOL

Yugo and Crosman. Sounds like a match.

Kazz,

It is not like I am going to be a 1.5 inch 300 yard group shooter from now on out. That day I was averaging 4.25 to 5 inches but pretty consistantly.

I just happen to have a dedicated long range rifle and scope combination and a place to use it, and the desire.

Frankly I would not make a pimple on your ass when it comes to groups shooting, your shooting is simply phenominal.

Riff and Moneyshot,

The Mercedes does run and I had been working a deal with Caldwell and Mercedes to have a commerative 58 Mercedes 220S benchrest made, but the first ones the chinese made for us resembled a Yugo and oddly enough had Crosman stamped on the trunk. 😛

Regards,

Roachcreek

RC,

to boldly go where no Talon shooter has gone before..
Your exploration never ceases to impress me.

:bow:

If I didn’t know you from here on talon and your youtubes, I would say: impossible..

but I know better and: WOW CONGRATZ!

quote moneyshot:

portable?

that ol p.o.s. in the garage has no wheels?… 😆

LOL I was gonna say that too, but I already tossed RC a poke. 😆

Thats some really good shooting there RC

portable?

that ol p.o.s. in the garage has no wheels?… 😆

That is a very consistant group especially for EJ’s.

I have not been inspecting my bullets like I used to do in BPCR gong shooting. I used to go 5549 to 551 grains.

But now with the single cavity casting and jig to hold the nose down to inspect them while spraying moly and the fact that today I bought a scale, I had given my Dillon elctronic scale to my son and needed a repalcement.

I was cruising the Pawn shops and have seen a used scale in one of them I do business with for several months, a RCBS, I got the scale and ended up spending $1100.00 before I walked out.

I weighted a partial tin of my bullets, I had a large percentage of 56.1 grain bullets so I selected 56.1 to 56.3 as my target bullets and will see how they fly compared to very heavy ones what were in the 57 grain range.

Now for some good weather to see how they fly.

I also need to find a good portable bench rest.

Regards,

Roachcreek

Yes, the wind blows here non-stop. Thats why the wind-surfer jackoffs love it here.

I got 3 shots just under an inch a few weeks ago at somewhere near 100 yards. Just enough of a wind to make a me nervous, then it started to blow before I could shoot more.

A few years ago I shot a 30-shot group at 100 yards with 43gr EJs. Most were in a fat cluster, but the group itself was around 4″. The POI started to fall but I kept the same POA thru the string.
Its really lame and pale compared to your LBT, but it was an exciting group for the first 20 shots.

Ah yea, heres the pic you may have seen it before. POA was top middle diamond. Velocity was somewhere around 880 if I remember right.
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj312/Leadbest/100y42gr30shot.jpg

Riff Raff,

I have two of these guns I call the 25 LBT’s now, a carbine that is just over 25 acp power levels and the Rifle which is detuned down to 110 FPE or so.

The rifle I made up just for long range shooting.

With the Leupold/Holland scope, I still have enough adjustment to sight in at 440 yards, but unfortunately I can only get about 295 yards from my steel target here, and would have to tresspass to do it.

I am thinking of buying a nice portable benchrest to set up on the neighbors property after getting his permission.

As where you live, windless days are really rare this time of year, I am hoping this summer I can get some quality work done at this range.

Right now I am at 4000 bullets thru this mold and getting it figured out, my mold sprue plate retaining spring finger broke on my LBT mold and I have 6 spares coming so right now I only have about 700 slugs in inventory, that is about 2 weeks of shooting.

The next step will be weighing my visually inspected slugs to 1/2 grain + or -. I used to weigh my 45/100 Hocke nose pour slugs to 1 grain + or -, which meant I got 40 bullets out of every 100 cast. I gave my Dillon scale to my son so I need to buy another electronic scale to weigh my bullets now that this is getting serious.

Great fun and it takes air gunning out to the what was though as impossible realm. But a few folks are doing this these days.

While I doubt I will be shooting another lucky groups like this soon, I am looking at a more realistic goal of consistant 5 shot groups in the sub 3 inch range at close to 300 yards.

Regards,

Roachcreek

😎

I’m not going to believe you unless you use dial calipers. Measuring with a tape is too imprecise.

Fucking unbelievable you would try such a stunt.

😛

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.