Taipan Laminate airgunUragans airgun

Mrodair Airmax Compressor Review: Prep, Poor Build Quality, Fixes, Ultimately Unsafe for Use

Home Forums General Compressors, tanks and pumps Mrodair Airmax Compressor Review: Prep, Poor Build Quality, Fixes, Ultimately Unsafe for Use

This topic contains 267 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  guykuo 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 268 total)
  • Author

miksatx
    Participant
    quote tbear:

I decided to go with Royal purple because it’s readily available for $20 on Amazon, with free prime shipping. The quart size is good for 2 fills. I read the specs and seems like a good fit. Flash point is 500F.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004PL9BVY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

tbear how stinky is that Royal Purple?

tbear

I don’t smell anything bad.

guykuo

The Airmax electrical system is atypical in that manually switching of the compressor forces the 15 amp rated power switch to break a 25 amp current flow. Most motor control systems that have a contactor make and break the heavy current flow via the contactor’s heavier contacts rather than the relatively low capacity switches. While the circuit design does indeed make the circuit via the contactor and break the circuit via the contactor if the auto gauge signals its limit, manually turning off the compressor turns things off via the switch rather than the contactor.

This makes the Airmax prone to arc, burn out, or welding “on” its power switch. I had an incident of this when the power switch welded itself on. Turning of the switch didn’t do anything. The Airmax kept running. Several off/on flips finally broke the contacts apart. If that had failed the next step would have been pulling the plug or redialing the pressure gauge switch.

This problem can be largely moderated by rewiring the system to add proper start & stop buttons to control the contactor’s coil instead of the motor directly. Here is what the circuitry might look like. This implementation will also prevent the compressor from unexpectedly restarting after a power failure. The on button must be pushed to start the motor. Also, the motor won’t restart until pressure drops below the gauge set point. The relay is rewired to convert the normally open pressure gauge into a normally closed contact.

As usual, your wiring skills and safety are up to you. The circuit design is presented as unverified. Don’t do wiring modification unless you understand the actual wiring, verify for yourself the circuit design, and take electrical safety precautions.

strever

Tbear
    i’m one of the 50 and i don’t say much just read
    after reading about the purple you bought, i also got some off Amazon and i changed oil in mine
    now it will not fill my tanks above 4100 #’s ? it use to do 4600 no problem
    tilting to empty did something, what ? i don’t know
    what O’rings did you change ? and what size are they ?

thanks
    Dick

bgray115

If your pump isn’t pumping to full you should start with a spray bottle and dish liquid to find air leaks on the high side. If you can’t find any leaks then start looking at rings and seals.

talonsniper

Before considering buying a Mrodair.com Compressor be forewarned many have found it to be nothing but trouble dealing with the machine as well as the vendor

tbear
    quote Strever:

Tbear
    i’m one of the 50 and i don’t say much just read
    after reading about the purple you bought, i also got some off Amazon and i changed oil in mine
    now it will not fill my tanks above 4100 #’s ? it use to do 4600 no problem
    tilting to empty did something, what ? i don’t know
    what O’rings did you change ? and what size are they ?

thanks
    Dick

Sorry that changing your oil caused you to lose pressure. Must be something else though…did you do anything else?
    As for o-ring sizes, I did switched all to viton, don’t have the size right now. Hopefully sometime can chime in.

strever

well it gave up the ghost after a total of 6 1/2 hours run time
    seems something broke between the electric motor and the compressor 🙁
    if you have had yours apart, any picts ?

guykuo

The cam is held on the shaft by a single clamping bolt. That may have come loose if your motor is spinning without the cam moving.

strever

thankyou Guykuo
    is the cam what the electric motor turns ?
    yes the electric motor runs & compressor does not
    i guess i will take it apart
    does anybody have picts ?

thanks
    Dick

guykuo

Look early in this thread for picts of the crankcase and camshaft.

Careful with the bolts, the crankcase housing is quite fragile aluminum and easy to strip. Also, don’t damage the crankcase gasket.

mjp

Crankshaft… Not cam.
    I would suggest coltri 750 or similar oil for hpa use. Higher viscosity and so less oil consumption.
    Crank is threaded ccw, so it shouldn’t loosen it by it self. If it has been loose the key might have severed and thus not spinning the pump.
    Marko

Edit: these are all so new machines and should be covered under warranty by nimrodair.

dyotat100

Warranty?

It’s always the customers fault it breaks remember.

vipersrt10

I think this picture speaks for itself on the type of company nimrodair really is, car under the carport look familiar? Real classy huh… And for the record, he fucked me too . I bought one of those pieces of shit… had I only known then what I know now. He lied to me more than once and I kept the emails to prove it…Also in his Bio on his websight it states he owns Sparkman ironworks LLC. but he neglected to say that his LLC permit was REVOKED by the state of Arkansas in 2006. Total skumbag!!!

Attachments:

docmortal

Sorry for everyone’s troubles on this compressor. I want to thank the originator of this post and everyone who contributed all your information and research. Pretty much have read this whole post what a bad adventure.

Luckily I do a lot of research before spending a large amount of money on anything. I was so close to buying one of these.!

Looks like it will be a shoebox compressor for me I can deal with the long fill times.

Thanks Again Guys !! Saved my ass LoL

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 268 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar