Taipan Laminate airgunUragans airgun

Microlite Bullpup kit for TalonP

Home Forums AirForce TalonP (Pistol) Microlite Bullpup kit for TalonP

This topic contains 168 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  tagdagger 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 169 total)
  • Author

coors

I took my gun apart last night, as I’m having some kind of valve problem. When I put it back together I decided to really try to get the tank on tightly at the spinloc collar. Viola! No more play in the rear end of the gun. Please, disregard my rant above, as it now is obvious that I didn’t put this gun together correctly.

hoot
    Participant
    quote tagdagger:

:hoot:

That’s a LOT of room to expand air. I’m very curious about it’s impact. That little beast packs a lot of bark for it’s size.

It appears this still uses the TalonP end cap. Is this true? I like end caps…expands lots of possibilities.

Nice quality workmanship too!

Hoot:

birdman
    Participant

I have never shot my Talon SS from Air Force Guns with their stocks as they sell them . I ordered my gun from Randy with the Maddog ultima stock .
    All I can say is that it shoots 100% right on and I love how it fells whenever I’am pulling the trigger . Fills like a perfect sniper weapon . Maddog
    stocks can only improve your shooting platform over the regular shooting set-up that Air Force offers . Regardless on the type of Maddog stock
    you choose to get . Well worth the money spent and I have over a thousand kills including a big male coyote .

tagdagger

Hoot, The vented mount gives close to 5” of volume in front of the barrel and it has some choke points to breakup the air as well. The stock end cap seals it off. No extra length added to the gun.

Birdman, with the maddog stock setup it will put hole in hole at 30 yards. Solid as a rock platform.

hoot
    Participant

It almost sounds too good to be true!

Proof’s in the pudding, as they say…if it does all that, they’ll have to change the name to the new ‘TalonT”.

Hoot:

tagdagger

Hoot, Im confident the gun will perform, but you being up in years an all please don’t forget to turn your hearing aid all the way up and you will of course need to shoot straight. 😛
    Seriously though, I’m looking forward to your review as I know you are straight shooter in more ways than one.

coors

Sat, Dec 12-15
    OK, I shot a 1.5″ 100-yard group today, using Baracudas. I fixed my valve issue in last night’s teardown. I ground about 1/64″ off each end of the valve spring and 1/64″ off the rear of the valve seal (where it seats against the spring). First shot, with PW set to 12, 896.7fps. 2nd shot 881.4fps. The first shot used 200psi ! So, I pumped the tank back up to 3000psi, turned the PW to 8, and got 864.1, 867.6, 870.2, 876.7, 873.2, 855.1. From this I deducted that I have 5x good shots at this power level setting (avg. 870.26 for avg. of 52.782fpe) and 3000psi fill pressure. It was at this setting that I shot a 1.5″ group. I know that won’t impress the Kalibergun, Edgun, etc. bullpup fraternity, but I’m impressed!

Sun, Dec 13-15
    Ok, today I concentrated on shooting at 50 yards. With this scope reticle, it’s actually more difficult shooting at 50 yards than it is at 100 yards. That’s because the “dot” covers 4-mils (2.2″ at 50 yards), so you have to cover the 3/8″ dot that I drew on the paper and guess where it is under the reticle dot. At 100 yards, the dots are finer and the POI falls right between those dots. Nevertheless, I’m getting 3/4″ ctc 5-shot groups. I’m considering getting an SWFA SS 10x scope, as I’m planning to reach out to 200 yards with the 5mm barrel (that’s coming) and pressed bullets.

birdman
    Participant

tagdagger , I don’t know what happen to your pictures showing your new 5″ version of the Microlite , they have been removed and can not be viewed .
    I was wondering if this system could be incorporated with the Vulcan ? Something to think about .

tagdagger
    quote birdman:

tagdagger , I don’t know what happen to your pictures showing your new 5″ version of the Microlite , they have been removed and can not be viewed .
    I was wondering if this system could be incorporated with the Vulcan ? Something to think about .

Everything is still showing ok on my monitor. Not much has changed as far as the kits are concerned except I’m eliminating the baffle insert by adding vents and choke points to the barrel mount to keep the sound suppression integral.

Adding the first vent gave it another 1.5” of sound suppression that’s what changed it to 5”. If one was willing to get rid of the PW that would add 2 more inches for a total of 7” which might get you to mouse fart quiet. Like :hoot: Hoot said “every inch counts”. 7” of suppression without adding any length to the gun would be incredible, but my goal with the kits have always been for a true drop in kit without modifying to much of the stock and the PW is important to most people. That being said of course I’ll try it at some point. 🙂

As far as guns like the Vulcan go Im not sure it would work. My contribution is basically a improvement on McCaslin’s Design. It all hinges on the bolt extension. The extension acts as trigger linkage for the bullpup and allows the barrel to move thru and back to the rear as much as you would like 4”,5”,7”,9”, just make the bolt extension that much longer. After 5” a forward mounted tank would be required.

This is a pic of the kit for the Maddog BP except the new barrel mount comes in to play and the baffle insert is not needed.

coors

Dave,
    Now that I have this microlite bullpup kit put together correctly, it’s very solid and VERY accurate. I now have confidence to add an Airforce QR sling stud kit. Is it OK to use the empty hole in the buttplate for the rear attachment point?

tagdagger
    quote coors:

Dave,
    Now that I have this microlite bullpup kit put together correctly, it’s very solid and VERY accurate. I now have confidence to add an Airforce QR sling stud kit. Is it OK to use the empty hole in the buttplate for the rear attachment point?

Absolutely. The sling kit is a nice addition.

hoot
    Participant

Technically, how difficult would it be to put a 16″ barrel in a modified TalonP with your kit? Any major skills needed?

Hoot:

tagdagger
    quote Hoot:

Technically, how difficult would it be to put a 16″ barrel in a modified TalonP with your kit? Any major skills needed?

Hoot:

A 16” barrel would mount up fine. You would need to re position the stock bushings(the front bushing becomes the rear one) to mount the barrel behind the hand grip.
    With the kit a 16” barrel will fit inside a TalonP frame with the end cap on, but no room for baffles.
    ” ” ” a 18” barrel will fit inside a Tss frame and still have room for 2 sound loc baffles with the end cap on.

birdman
    Participant

tagdagger , question # 1 : 16″ barrel w/Talon P frame with no room for baffles , how loud is the muzzle report going to be ? Question #2 : With an 18″
    barrel w/Tss frame with 2 sound loc baffles how loud will the muzzle report be ? Does this mod make the gun quiet or loud ?

hoot
    Participant

Bird…if I may,

The TalonP is a loud gun. If left OEM unchanged, Tagdagger’s kit will quiet it substantially. Once you lengthen the barrel you will increase the noise. The remedy is fairly simple:

1) Leave it alone, and be satisfied with a short, quiet, 50 fpe ,25 TalonP bullpup…with Maddog Doug and Tagdagger’s innovations!

2) Make the barrel longer, making the fpe/fps increase substantially, but at the cost of a much louder gun

3) John Hagan (Hagantool@aol.com) makes an adapter that grub-screws into the TalonP shroud end, and has a male nipple that permits use of an LDC on the end. In this manner you can increase power, but maintain reasonable silence by using the LDC on the end. It’s one option that Maddog and Tag’s kit has given us to explore at our own expense and effort.

Every change has it’s trade-off’s…more power = more noise, leave it alone = powerful/quiet/short, put a long barrel on it = louder, but kills into the next county!

Personally, I’m going to keep my options open. I’m going to give the 12″ barrel every try at the 50 fpe. IF…and it’s a big IF, I need more power, the options with the Hagan adapter and Donnyfl LDC are easily available. You just need a new AF OEM 24″ barrel cut to your specs.

I guess it depends on what you want to do. Modified, the 16″, and longer, barrel will drop a hog, coyote, close range head-shot deer, or take out your local feral cats (wild or otherwise). Unmodified, it will do the same thing…you simply need to be a bit closer.

Which begs the question…why do it? Unless you want to go the .257 caliber route, and shoot things a mile away.

Personally, I have nuisance geese, ‘dillo’s, possum, ‘coon’s, squirrels, snakes, rats, a diseased over-populated deer situation, and trouble-some neighbors. I need a variety of quiet solutions.

Your milage may vary, but I’m keeping my options wide open. This “kit” is so functional, you could even change back and forth, with a bit of effort and a few spare parts on hand.

I’ll report with photos and such when my gear arrives. Much to do…and it’s late in the year…but this “Kit” has SO much potential, left “as is”, or simply powered up to your specs!!!

Hoot:

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 169 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar