Q:

Lurker #1

Several days ago I got an e-mail from Lurker #1 asking if I’d like to do breakfast and maybe do some shooting. I didn’t know it but he’s 1 hour away. Well after he said he’d buy I said hell yes, why not. So we met this morning at Bob Evans in Findlay and had a nice chat. Afterwards we headed to my place to punch some paper. We got talking about Hoots vent holes for his Vulcan and decided to do his.

Here’s Lurker #1 taking apart the schroud…..

Taking the baffles out……..

he wanted me to do the drilling, I said hell no it’s your gun you screw it up.

Checking it out after drilling……

it was a great time and we did a lot of shooting. Look out Ernest you may be getting another Vulcan to tune……..

Airgun Technology

All Replies

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)

1 2 3 4 5
quote Zonk:

Did you slide that tubing on or was it already there?

It was there, OEM ❗

Did you slide that tubing on or was it already there?

Sir Ville, the 880-890 was with 18.1 gr JSBs.
So you are good where you are for the 15 grainers. You can just leave it alone if that is OK wih you it is good for everyone too.

Hey, 3rd time apart and back together with no extra parts not already installed ❗
This time I got rough ❗ I took the grinder and buffer to her.
Started buffing the Hammer and couldn’t stop…..

Ground very little off the edges of the back end of the spring and buffed it except didn’t disturb the 1/4″ piece of tubing.

Ah darn the HSTA used to click when turned…..Now it doesn’t ❗ that’s what I get for polishing both ends of the spring ❗
Had to turn the spring so the tubing separates the two springs when fired.

It doesn’t appear to move out of place after repeated shots.

Chrono testing hasn’t shown any big jumps of velocity after nearly 50 shots but the SD seems to be settleing down.

I say i leave mine where it’s set from the factory. And use the 16 gr AA since i hunt nothing with a PCP. And that BS about the perfect speed being at 880-890 fps is just that :: BS.
The Vulcan is designed to shoot those 16gr at 930 so that’s where i have it.
And i have no problems getting 5 mags from 210-120B so why the hell would i change anything ?

quote octavius:

Hi Lurker, did you check how pressure you have set your reg? For speed 880 -890fps is good to have set the reg to 120bar.

Is there a best way to determine the REG setting ❓

Thanks Hoot: I need kicked back on track often :butkick:

I am an impulsive fool at times 😳

Now that I’m familiar with the HST internals I have tuned back down to close to the OEM settings

I removed the silicone I had sprayed in as I De-Tuned the HST but still have a very seldom Erratic velocity. Granted they are infrequent but something I probably caused by tuning up some 50 fps then back down while lubing and then cleaning.

I can imagine the slight rubs on the hammer weight and maybe spring flexing could cause the “-20 fps” dips (example with 18.1gr JSBs; 872, 882, 885, “865”, 885, 889, 886, 876, 881, 881.)
BUT, what could cause a “+90 fps” sporadic increase ❓ ❓ (example with 14.3gr CPHP; 950, 957, 963, 956, 956, 959, 955, “1041”, 957, 957, 962.
Note: CPHPs typically load harder than JSBs. I even deliberately loaded some of these backwards to see if I had caused the problem accidentally but backward loaded consistently lowered the velocity by 10 fps.

Wiping dry the hammer and internals may have helped but…? What lubrication be advised ❓
Now I am considering a delrin spring guide and polishing the hammer weight.
Further polishing any internals is beyond my capabilities 😳

LOl…….Hoot is right again. Both my Cricket and Vulcan shoot at 880 to 900 fps and I’ve made many of shots at 80 to 100 yards on woodchucks. I know their big but still I’m not shooting at dimes or flea heads.

:hoot:

Why all the need for that extra 100 fps? 880 is plenty to shoot 100 yards/meters! You won’t lose accuracy and you will save a lot of air.

If you really need high speed for whatever reason, shoot a lighter pellet, and let the gun do what it was designed to do, at the pressure it was designed to shoot. The average, to well above average, shooter will not notice any difference in accuracy. We shot for years in the 750-850 fps range with great results at all ranges. None of the competition shooters are maxing out their guns.

If you need power, go to a .25 caliber, or even a .30, it gains you almost nothing to push a .22, or even a .25 to it’s maximum performance in a gun designed to shoot a specific pellet at a specific speed.

The HST is for minor tuning adjustments, not to obtain maximum performance. If you really want to push the gun to it’s limits, get the reg adjusted above 130 bar, but be prepared to pay a price in lower shot count, more internal wear, shorter valve life, and a lot more noise.

Just my observations over the years. Not all informed, and talented, forum members will agree. I fully respect their opinions, but I also respect their ability to go fuck themselves, and come up with better advice, as well.

With fondest regards,

Kindly ‘Ol Uncle Hoot:

Mine does 930 fps ( 16gr AA pellets ) with the reg set at 120B and it shoots like a Laser.

Hi Lurker, did you check how pressure you have set your reg? For speed 880 -890fps is good to have set the reg to 120bar.

Wow Lurker you had your hands full, sounds like you got it right now though.

Before U Screw the HST

CONSIDER some possible consequences.

There are TRADE-OFFs ❗

Cutting this story short as I often do, :rofl: after having screwed with the HST, to get the velocity up to 930 FPS to reach out to 100 yards, Then deciding it was TO NOISY and H00Ts initial venting mod had to much to deal with, I looked inside and found something peeking at me. Hmmm, Centrally located on the back side of the hammer spring an undocumented part ❓ or what ❓
Leave sleeping dogs lay, RIGHT ❗
Being a supper shot with a spray can I shot some Silicone spray around and began turning the HST back to where the factory had set it. Checking via chrono with short 11 shot strings GOT SCREWY ❓
String #1
1st shot 880
2nd shot 951
Avg shot 895
String#2
1st shot 841
10th shot 950
Avg shot 883.5

Yep, that’s no good ❗
Time to go inside to examine parts, see what the hell was peeking at me and clean out my silicone spray job.

Observations:
1) a couple rubs from the leading edge of the hammer weight.

I may have to polish the hammer like Ernest did but 1st I need to correct whatever I screwed up.
2) β€’β€’β€’the mainspring physically turns when screwing the adjuster. So the undocumented thingy peeking from behind now comes into view as a 1/4″ piece of tubing centrally on the main spring that physically comes against the hammer latch spring. It physically holds them apart ❗

But damn it doesn’t stop the twang upon firing πŸ™„
3) slight brass dust around the brass bushing. It needs Ernest’s nylon spacers or John’s delrin replacement.
4) the torque on the Breech Body from the last bit of mainspring compression is also causing the Breech Body to wear on the last 1/4″ or so. Slight color from brass dust and a shinny area on the end of the Breech Body are obvious.

I cleaned the area and touched it with Moly Grease BUT WOULD APPRECIATE ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR MINIMIZING WEAR ❓ ❓

REASSEMBLY:
Cleaned up my Silicone Lube job, wiped parts clean and got it back together after a couple failed attempts. I finally checked proper thread alignment of the adjuster and got it started threading while under pressure. The threads could get stripped easily if u do it wrong. I lucked out.
I installed the side plate screws lightly this time with a tiny amount of blue Loctite. Hope I didn’t over tighten again. It’s scary even with new allen wrenches.

BACK TO THE CHRONOGRAPH:
Worked it up from 850 fps to 885 adjusting after 2-3 shots them remembered I’m set up 5 feet from the chrono and that makes about 10 fps difference for 18 gr or heavier pellets. Backed it down 2 clicks and ran a string of 6;
875, 872, 875, 875, 876, 875.
Must have hit a sweet spot ❗

Next day more chrono testing:

25 x 18.1gr. JSBs
SD 4.1
True average Muzzle Velocity 889 FPS

11 x 15.8gr. JSBs
SD 3.0
Average FPS 932.2
True average Muzzle Velocity 933 @ 5′ (?)

11 x 21.1gr. BARACUDAs
SD 4.2
True average Muzzle Velocity 800 FPS
Had the Cudas doing 850 FPS when Zonk shot tighter groups with it but we’ll see how this does.

I hope this discourages someone from messing with a great shooting rifle like I did. The trade-off of more noise wasn’t worth it to me. Then trying to return to a factory tune can be a big job and I still need to get with Ernest if I want to get rid of the twang.
β€’

Hey, great idea using the felt plug to pull JB through…….I’ve been using JB for 45 years and it works great. And I’m only 50……………………. :rofl:

Zonk the PW worked as expected. Didn’t pull loads if lead out of my cricket though. It’s a good system no question. I would recommend this kit to anyone. I love the fact you can pull felt plugs with it. I ran a bunch of felts with JB bore paste on them in my 25.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

Eelect how’d the PW work?? I know it worked well for Lurker, we pulled 3/4 LB of lead out of his barrel. I’m going to do a 50 yard test this week to see how the Vulcano shoots now that it’s up and running.

Lurker, we’ll get together soon for another shoot, I just have some things to do this week, per Jody.

eelect,
I can’ keep my hands off of her. No matter what I do to her she keeps on shooting better than my other guns.
Would you believe it, I just told Dyotat not to hurry with my .257 :rofl: Damn I want that gun too ❗

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)

1 2 3 4 5
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.