Skip to toolbar

Losing accuracy cutting down condor .25 bbl? (removing “choke”)

Home Forums AirForce Condor/Condor SS Losing accuracy cutting down condor .25 bbl? (removing “choke”)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    RonS
    Participant

HI Everyone

Was thinking about shortening my .25 barrel that came with my condor, having it cut, and recrowned by a gunsmith. I then read that these LW barrels are choked… If i were to get this done, iw ould be shooting pellets out of it, not slugs… anyone try this? did you lose accuracy when the choked end of the barrel was cut off?

anthony266
    Keymaster

From my experience, I would cut the barrel from the breech end and machine down keeping the

crown and choke.

Tony

RonS
    Participant

Hi TOny

Thanks for the response, I was thinking similarly, unfortunately gunsmithing pries are pretty high here (canada) and having that kind of work done is approaching the price of a readily available barrrel.

Ill keep it at the stock length and shoot as is, can always remove material later, adding it back on is a different story 🙂

Rob
    Participant

I had a gunsmith fit a bushing and a TJ barrel on my .25 Condor. The biggest difference in accuracy came after adding a regulator, much better and a higher shot count. You might want to check out this old thread.

RonS
    Participant

Hi Rob

Very interesting. the altaros reg looks pretty good, and adjustable! I think ill play around with the ring-loc kit which should show up rpetty soon, most of my shooting is with the 12″ .22 barrel i have inside the frame, keeps things quiet. I was hoping to trim down the .25 barrel to keep it inside the frame as well… still neat to see that the reg helped out with accurtacy

Rob
    Participant

I’d keep the barrel longer, for greater efficiency and power. A chrony helps a lot when tinkering with the regulator. For .25 Kings, you want the fps in the vicinity of 920-940 fps most of the time. Condors are notoriously over powered; that’s where the regulator comes in. Without a reg. I’d try some heavier pellets, sticking with the diabolos.

RonS
    Participant

Hi ROb

I wont be shortening the barrel, I just installed the ring-loc kit with the 0.14x” orifice, i primarily shoot this thing in .22 and am going to chrony it this week. However i might switch the barrel to .25 and try it if i have extra time. I’m hoping the smaller aperture, combined with a shorter main spring gives me more adjustability as I am NOT here to generate tons of power…. If this can satisfy me that would be great, adding a reg would be nice, but the extra LOP might be tricky as i have short arms (think of a T-rex with a belly).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.