Taipan Laminate airgunUragans airgun

Just purchased air venturi compressor

Home Forums General Compressors, tanks and pumps Just purchased air venturi compressor

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  sandalelect 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

sandalelect
    Participant

I am waiting for my air venture compressor to arrive should be here by Friday, this is supposed to be able to fill tanks as well as guns. I was thinking of getting the nomad but there are more of my friends getting into air gunning, and the dive shops down here have just gotten out of hand with ways to burn you. I purchased a new tank from one and they did a vip inspection on it and of course they charged for it. why would a tank coming from the factory need a vip inspection, don’t they do one at the factory?

fomen

They are required by law to hydro test the tank if you want them to put air in it. If they don’t, and the tank blows up on you, they could be held liable. It doesn’t matter if the tank is brand new. They are checking for manufacturer defects.

That’s why you buy your own compressor (which you obviously did). No more hydro testing- EVER! I recommend purchasing a Tuxing oil water separator from Amazon or Ebay. It will keep all the water out of your tank. They cost $89.

My buddy owns a AV compressor. It’s really nice. The best part about the AV compressor is it has 2 cylinder/pistons. One for the LP side and the other for the HP side. The Yong Heng compressors have 1 piston that performs both tasks, so it puts a massive amount of pressure on the piston and the rings. The compressors with 2 cylinders are much more efficient and should prove to last longer.

I too just bought a compressor. A Christmas gift from Santa. I bought a 4500 psi portable DAVV compressor from Amazon. It also has 2 cylinders. The reason I went with DAVV is because the Air Venturi is just a little too much for me. And for the aforementioned reasons I didn’t want to get the Yong Heng. Plus DAVV makes many different models of compressors for diving (hookah and dive tank). They make gas and electric models. I wanted to buy a brand from a company that manufactures dive gear for professional and commercial use. It cost me $699 (plus tax and $ for compressor oil). Unfortunately I’ve been told by my wife I have to wait until Christmas to open the box and use it.

I just got sick and tired of traveling to get my tank filled, or hand pumping……

sandalelect
    Participant

I said a VIP which is a visual inspection not a Hydro, keep in mind that this was a brand new tank which was tested at the factory. Used to be you did not need the Vip until after the first Hydro which was after the first five years.

sandalelect
    Participant

As far as this Air Venturi compressor, only time will tell if this is good investment, I do plan on getting extra filters for it, and I never let my tanks get below 2700 PSI so bringing them back up to 3000 should not be too much work for this compressor. And I plan to do my refills inside in the A/C just to cut down on moisture, we shall see. I also Had one dive shop employee that did a VIP on my aluminum dive tank try to tell me that he found rust in it. So forgive me if I have lost faith in them to be honest.

zonk
    Participant

Sand, if your only filling to 3000psi your only going to get a fill or two before you need to fill your tank again. I hope that was a typo and you meant 4500psi. What good is a 3000 psi tank for an airgunner?

fomen

Well, if the term VIP isn’t defined as “visual inspection”, one is led to conclude it means Very Important Person, other words, the primo treatment like you get at a car wash or an amusement park if you pay a little more. In your thread you just said VIP, so I assumed it was some sort of super thorough test that covered every facet of making sure your tank was up to par, including the hydro.

However, if VIP means visual inspection, I agree with you 110%. It’s a ripoff! I’m not actually sure what they’re even looking for that you couldn’t visually detect yourself. So you have to pay for VIP AND hydro? LAME!!!!! Fortunately for you now, hydro tests are a thing of the past. Now you can fill up at home with no worries about nonsensical, made up tests.

I only own 1 CF tank at home. It’s WAYYYYYY past the hydro test date. A chain is only as strong as it’s weakest link. So the only thing I can think that would fail on my tank would be the o-rings in the valve, which are easily replaced. I have no qualm whatsoever about using my tank past the hydro test date. Those tanks are tested at pressures 2x’s as high as what they are rated for. So it’s nothing for them to hold 4500 psi for years and years without over-stressing them.

sandalelect
    Participant

When I go to the dive shops most will only fill any tank to around 3000 to 3300 psi, they will not fill up to 4500 psi they say because of the added stress on their compressor. Most do not keep that kind of pressure in their banks. With 3300 psi and I have 4 tanks all rated at 3000 psi I can get several days of shooting. Keep in mind that these are all 80 cubit foot tanks. As far as the Compressor from Pin head air goes they sent me the wrong one. I paid for the one that fills tanks and with the oil it came to 1319.97 the compressor alone was 1299.99 and they sent me the nomad which is around 600 I think. Some how they managed to charge me for the big one, when I called them today the girl that I talked to told me I could send it back and they would refund me the money for the nomad. I told her that they needed to refund me the money that they got for the compressor that I was supposed to get. Anyway the whole thing has me disgusted with them so I guess it time to shop elsewhere.

sandalelect
    Participant

Any one know of a reliable Compressor and a company that sells them, within the Miami or Fort Lauderdale area, that way I could just pick it up my self and at least I would get the one I paid for.

sandalelect
    Participant

Found a distributor in Dania Beach, Florida that sells portable Compressors for breathable air, have not been able to talk to them yet so I do not know how much, but they sell Bauer Compressors that are built here in the USA. Guess I will have to wait till after the Holidays. Does anyone have one of these and if so what is the Quality, any input will be greatly appreciated.

humdinger
    Participant
    quote sandalelect:

Any one know of a reliable Compressor and a company that sells them, within the Miami or Fort Lauderdale area, that way I could just pick it up my self and at least I would get the one I paid for.

My favorite compressor dealer in the entire U.S.A. is in Ft. Lauderdale. You are too lucky. His name is Carlos Kuster and he sells refurbished Bauers at reasonable prices with brand new U.S. spec motors installed and any replacement parts. Bauer is the best compressor made and at new retail is usually out of the budget of most users. I live in Charlotte, NC and bought my Bauer Utilus from Carlos and have never looked back. Look on Craigslist Miami and he will have a listing or two under Bauer compressors.

sandalelect
    Participant
    quote humdinger:

quote sandalelect:

My favorite compressor dealer in the entire U.S.A. is in Ft. Lauderdale. You are too lucky. His name is Carlos Kuster and he sells refurbished Bauers at reasonable prices with brand new U.S. spec motors installed and any replacement parts. Bauer is the best compressor made and at new retail is usually out of the budget of most users. I live in Charlotte, NC and bought my Bauer Utilus from Carlos and have never looked back. Look on Craigslist Miami and he will have a listing or two under Bauer compressors.

Does Carlos Have a phone number and what is the name of his business, I tried to look him up on Craigslist, I did find one distributor that will sell used ones that have been gone through, Cost would be determined by how much work to refurb and of course which model.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar