Idea, need input

Home Forums General Shrouds and Moderators Idea, need input

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    caboose212
    Participant

Okay- so I’ve got one of these “Solvent Trap” kits that’s pretty much useless to me now. So my question is: How well would firearm type baffles work with airguns? Again, this is SPECIFICALLY FOR AIRGUNS, NOT FIREARMS. Here’s a pic of the baffle I’m talking about:

I have an idea for a .30 airgun LDC, I have this kit that I’m not using, so the gears got turning. I’m just not sure how effective these baffles would be. The solvent trap is a 1.375″ tube that’s 8″ long, with 7 of these baffles. It’s not a lot of volume, but something of this size is designed for suppressed 9mm pistols and those sound great suppressed. I’m not sure if the same design would be quite as effective w/airguns though. I’ve heard/read that K baffles are definitely not as effective w/air, but Airforce uses them, it’s what their sound loc baffles are. But what about this type of baffle? I wonder if these would be better. Also, more and more LDC cores are being put out by airgun manufacturers that look eerily similar to powderburner designs. But again, what do you guys think?

AGAIN, THIS IS FOR AN AIRGUN MODERATOR, NOT FOR A FIREARM!!!!!

rrdstarr
    Participant

I have done a lot of suppressor development and I have found that “K” type baffles work very well. Mine are only .650 long and .875 in diameter inside a 1″tube. I think the number of baffles really helps to break the air flow and drop the noise down to safe without hearing protection. I am about to try a monocore design and see what I get for sound.

caboose212
    Participant

Really? I’ve heard the opposite for K baffles! Weird. I guess that’s why AF started using them… Would you (or anyone reading this) happen to have some AF Sound-Loc baffles that you could measure for me?

Anonymous
    Inactive

The AF Sound-Loc baffles are not as great as it seems ……… u could get the same or more sound suppression from a hair curler, wadding and washers.

Specs for AF Sound-Loc baffles:

OAL = 1.43″
    OD = 1.01″
    OD at Neck = .588″
    Height to rim & skirt = 1.364″

Caliber size 177 = .22″
    Usually hole sizes are one caliber up in …. IIRC.

Less is more when it comes to designing LCD in Airguns, unlike powder burners that generate a lot of heat expansion.
    A stripper on the front end of the can OR a very aggressive first stage baffle strategically placed on the other end, I don’t recommend both in one.
    In between that maybe another baffle or not and or wadding for damping ……….

Usually the OAL of the LCD depicts its effectiveness, but a well and harder to do shorter one does take some experienced engineering.
    The fatness of the can has its effectiveness too, but quickly diminishes in its return compared to lengthening.

Back porting is another story, if the Aigun in question can be .. it can change the above design plans a bit.

~ Greg

caboose212
    Participant

I was toying with the idea of barrel porting. This way, i can actually use the wasted space inside the AF frame…

Anonymous
    Inactive
    quote Caboose212:

I was toying with the idea of barrel porting. This way, i can actually use the wasted space inside the AF frame…

IDK about barrel porting the AF guns.
    But you’ve heard of back porting the frame right ?

~ Greg

caboose212
    Participant
    quote GKU:

quote Caboose212:

IDK about barrel porting the AF guns.
    But you’ve heard of back porting the frame right ?

~ Greg

Oh yeah, absolutely.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It’s problematic though, some have mixed results.

Maybe hearing the wrong end …… who knows. LOL

Barrel porting isn’t that like adding a muzzle brake ?

~ Greg

caboose212
    Participant

No, barrel porting is drilling small ports (holes) into the barrel to vent off gases, or in this case, air.

rrdstarr
    Participant

I have done barrel porting on the Crosman 2240 to keep the suppressors short. It has a 9″ barrel and I ported it 4″ back from the muzzle in a spiral pattern on my rotary head. The baffles looked like the barrel supports in and AF rifle. The actual suppressor only extended 2″ beyond the muzzle. Very quiet pistol now as the 2240 is quiet loud as it expels a lot of CO2 per shot.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hum, I see I need to read up on that …… interesting.

Seems though it will decrease the velocity or air efficiency (loose shot count) to porting the barrel ?
    Isn’t it some what equivalent to using a shorter barrel with longer LDC ?

~ Greg

caboose212
    Participant
    quote Rrdstarr:

I have done barrel porting on the Crosman 2240 to keep the suppressors short. It has a 9″ barrel and I ported it 4″ back from the muzzle in a spiral pattern on my rotary head. The baffles looked like the barrel supports in and AF rifle. The actual suppressor only extended 2″ beyond the muzzle. Very quiet pistol now as the 2240 is quiet loud as it expels a lot of CO2 per shot.

Exactly.

Im worried about pellet shaving though- how would the burrs inside the barrel be removed, without screwing up the rifling?

quote GKU:

Hum, I see I need to read up on that …… interesting.

Seems though it will decrease the velocity or air efficiency (loose shot count) to porting the barrel ?
    Isn’t it some what equivalent to using a shorter barrel with longer LDC ?

~ Greg

It may decrease the velocity, but when we’re talking about 40-60+ fpe in either .25 or .30, a few fpe either way won’t really matter…

rrdstarr
    Participant

Velocity does decrease, Doug. That’s a given. Trying to keep the bullet/pellet below 1116fps at Sea Level is the first step in keeping a Suppressor quiet. I have three huge books on suppressors I have read from cover to cover for scientific study:

Modern Firearms silencers: Great Designs, Great Designers by J. David Truby ISBN 0873646665
    Silencer History & Performance Vol. 1 By Alan Paulson ISBN 0-87364-909-5
    Silencer History & Performance Vol. 2 By Alan Paulsen ISBN 978-1-58160-323-1
    Firearm Suppressor Patents Vol. 1 by N.R. Parker ISBN 1-58160-460-2

Rick

rrdstarr
    Participant
    quote Caboose212:

quote Rrdstarr:

I make a lead lap on an old cleaning rod to remove burrs. I also have a 1/8 reversed countersink that works from the inside out for bigger ones not removed from lapping.

donnyfl
    Participant

I admire you guys, how do you intellectually think and respond when Caboose avatar is bouncing up and down. I just caught myself staring at it for the last 5 mins.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.