Q:

I ordered a new Haley Air rifle today

RJ Porter has been twisting my arm on this and today I made the leap.

I ordered a Haley 257. I ordered it with a 36 inch barrel and plain brown laminated sporter stock.

This rifle has been shooting some spectacular long range groups, RJ recently gave me a link to one group which was shot with a 87 grain bullet at 1120FPS that could be covered by a quarter at 300 yards.

As most of you know I am into the long range shooting thing and have been for years with different guns. I have taken the AirForce about as far as I can and having the ShoeBox compresser and a set of 3 cascaded 66 cf tanks, this is the natural progression for me.

I spent 45 pleasant minutes on the phone with Reba Haley and got the ball rolling, should see it in November, hopefully before I leave for my 4 month vacation.

Regards,

Roachcreek

Other Guns

All Replies

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Can’t wait for RC to get this gun and start posting pics and info. 😀

I cant wait either

The .257 Haley is rapidly gaining a great reputation. It beat the big bores at LASSO and that tiny group at 300 yards is just nuts. The power is huge for the caliber and I’ve yet to hear a sour note about the gun.

I’m glad RC is getting one because we’re all going to get to know that gun! I’ll bet we have shot curves and groups within a few days of delivery!

Oooh new toys!

Charlie,

It appears you were predestined to remain on “point” in all of my “air gun” maneuvers. Once again you have pulled the trigger on something I can only dream of right now. I hope to join you and RJ in the not to distant future! Can’t wait to read your reports.

Joe

Interesting, thanks for the explanation.

acourvil,

Not when your running big bores with bullets at 3000-4000 PSI.

These guns are only getting two full power shots, their valves are releasing a lot of air.

When I got my Ranger 45 with a 28 inch barrel, and Dan H got his with a 36 inch barrel, the velocity difference was considerable.

A good example is a Ranger 45 with 225 grain bullets on low power with a 3000PSI fill. The 28 inch barrel is running 875 FPS and the 36 inch on low power is running 959 FPS.

On the subject of portability, on my Ranger 45, I wanted a hunting rifle and the shorter rifle just works better in the brush. On the 257, I will only be shooting tethered from a bench, so the extra length is not a problem.

The 36 inch Haley .257 is shooting at the beginning level for the 25-20 in the reloading manuals for the 87 grain cast bullet.

But you are correct on CO2 powered guns and their barrel lengths.

Regards,

Roachcreek

Just curious – what’s the rationale for a 36″ barrel? Seems like that might be into the range where the extra length would slow things down (just guessing, don’t have any experience with 257 bullets, but I think I remember reading that for diablo style pellets, friction usually overrides the air pressure somewhere in the 18-20 inch range). And it seems like the extra time in the barrel means a greater chance to pull the shot with a bad follow-through.

quote roachcreek:

….should see it in November, hopefully before I leave for my 4 month vacation.

Regards,

Roachcreek

Roach….I warned you to never go cheap on two things in this world…Whores and Attorneys!!!

You should have known it wouldn’t turn out well when you hired him. Who ever heard of a dual practice Chiropractor/Attorney. Do you think the six free adjustments included with his representation in court are worth it now????

Huh????? Huh??????

H 🙄 🙄 T

i think u will be very pleased with ur purchase. i went out and shot my haley guns this weekend and yesterday at 100yds with my 308 im shooting sub moa like 3 shot groups covered with a nickel i think u will have u a good longrange gun for sure with the .257

Congrats, Charlie! I’ve contemplated one of those myself. I’d love to view that link.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.