Skip to toolbar

I need help guys

Home Forums General Mods/Machinists I need help guys

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    photo22
    Participant

I need to drill a 5/8 hole in a 1/4″ steel plate. I have a drill press but do I need to go fast or slow and do I need cutting oil? My drill press has one speed but I think I can control how fast I drill the plate.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I highly recommend using cutting oil, or a comparable cutting fluid which you can most likely buy at Home Depot, a welding supply, or industrial hardware store. One that comes to mind is called “Rapid Tap”.

Drilling thru 1/4″ is NFP, (first drill a 1/8″ pilot hole) and can easily be accompished with a hand held drill motor. As the bit is about to punch thru the steel make sure you slow down the drill motor RPM and grip it tightly. Hope this helps.

harry

walkonking
    Participant
    shadoh
    Participant

Well, if you only have one speed then you dont have allot of options ). Just start out with smaller bits and work your way up to the finished size you want. Dont start out to small as they can be hard to start in hard metal. do you have any center drills? They make it a ton easier to start a pilot hole to work from.

Oil is preferable because it will lubricate the bit and help remove heat which will ruin the cutting edge of your drill bit. Even WD40 is better than nothing if thats all you have.

shadoh
    Participant

Leave it to WOK to have a picture or video ready to roll.

voltar-1
    Participant
    quote photo22:

I need to drill a 5/8 hole in a 1/4″ steel plate. I have a drill press but do I need to go fast or slow and do I need cutting oil? My drill press has one speed but I think I can control how fast I drill the plate.

If your drill press rotates faster than about 250rpm then you might want to rethink the project. Even with ever increasing hole sizes you may end up burning the cutting lips and margin on that bit if runs too fast.
    Clamp it down good and solid.
    Good luck
    Walter….

walkonking
    Participant

Pat,

Chances are your drill press has a belt and 2 pulleys to adjust the speed.

photo22
    Participant

Thanks for the tips guys, I gota project I’m working on for a target setup. I started out with cardboard and went to wood, but after many shots both will have to be replaced. So I was thinking steel but it has to hold the Paint balls. My kids really love shooting paint balls due to the pop they make when you hit them.

Cardboard does pretty good and it’s cheap but We need something that will be stronger. Sometimes you can catch the edge and still hit the paintball with steel that will not happen.

If you use duck tape or shipping tape to hold the balls on the inside, the hits will not knock the other balls out. The box also helps keep the mess inside and clean up is all good.

shadoh
    Participant

Thats actually a pretty slick idea. You could tell from pretty far away when you popped one.

Anonymous
    Inactive

How long did it take you to tape all those paintballs on Lama’s American Standard dinner table & waterbowl? 😆 😆

shrpshotr28
    Participant

Holding the paintballs:

In a metal bar on your new frame, drill a series of holes 3/16 dia. spaced apart about 1 1/2-2 inches and get some golf tees. Put a golf tee in each hole and the concave on top of the tee is ideal for setting the paintballs on.

I use the tees, just pushed into the ground. Makes it easy to set up targets at various distances.

photo22
    Participant
    quote shrpshotr28:

Holding the paintballs:

In a metal bar on your new frame, drill a series of holes 3/16 dia. spaced apart about 1 1/2-2 inches and get some golf tees. Put a golf tee in each hole and the concave on top of the tee is ideal for setting the paintballs on.

I use the tees, just pushed into the ground. Makes it easy to set up targets at various distances.

I do the golf tees and they work really nice in wood or cardboard and cheap factor is good thing. One problem that I run into with the golf tees is when one paint ball is hit, the splatter will sometimes knock down the next ball and I have them spaced 4-1/2 to 5″ apart so I’m looking for a better way to isolate the blast from the paintballs like the wood does.

My wood setup. This is the second one I made due to the holes getting pretty bored out with blowthrough.

I would like to drill 30 holes in that plate in back of the flange. I just hope it’s thick enough to hold the balls. The holes will be tight so it should work.

photo22
    Participant
    quote WalkonKing:

Pat,

Chances are your drill press has a belt and 2 pulleys to adjust the speed.

It’s an old and cheap old Adam, Central Pneumatic with one speed 🙁 I may get this one I seen that has 12 speeds from 250 to 3100rpm’s or I can just have my buddy with the much better tools do the job right 😀

synopsys
    Participant

If you make the holes so the paint balls friction fit they should hold themselves even in a 1/8″ think steel plate…

Aluminum would be easier to drill…

Awesome idea and good for field target practice as well… 😉

photo22
    Participant
    quote synopsys:

If you make the holes so the paint balls friction fit they should hold themselves even in a 1/8″ think steel plate…

Aluminum would be easier to drill…

Awesome idea and good for field target practice as well… 😉

Yeah your right Jim, but what may happen is when a mess hit tags the steel the vibration Would make some of the balls fall out. So I’m thinking the thicker the better and I have tested this with different wood?……Oh hell Adam is going to kill me with that one..LOL 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.