Taipan Laminate airgunUragans airgun

I hate tramming the Mini Mill

Home Forums General Mods/Machinists I hate tramming the Mini Mill

This topic contains 21 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  rickster338 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

blodnob

I think i put dro in the main search and along with all the proper dro’s these are alongside.
    Yep just checked. Click on one of the advertised ones and then go to their e,Bay shop.
    Look to be from 4″ upto 40″ in both hori’ and vert’ displays.

Well, shit, I thought this thread was going to be filled with guys dressed up funny lookin’and talkin with a lisp.

walt

buzzcat

I’ve read this thread six times and I still don’t know what the hell you guys are talking about.

Buzz, there’s no guarantee that the milling head, that is, the actual axis of the cutting tool, will be exactly perpenidcular to the table below it. What he’s doing is measuring the head relative to the table and adjusting it so that is all squared up. Some machines allow adjusting the head to tilt at an angle, for angled cuts, so it’s possible for the head to drift out of alignment. It is never a good idea to assume everything’s aligned when you get a new machine.

buzzcat
    quote walt_in_hawaii:

Buzz, there’s no guarantee that the milling head, that is, the actual axis of the cutting tool, will be exactly perpenidcular to the table below it.

Thanks… that’s yet another reason to keep me away from Harbor Freight’s steel-milling aisle. 😆

knifemaker

Yep. and every time you tilt it for a cut. you have to re tram it when you put it back in position.

One way to guarantee that the head, even on a fixed machine isn’t fully square, is to buy it from arbor freight. I would be very surprised if any of their machines were true. None of them are made in a ISO certified factory. You pay your much lower prices, and like any gamble, You take your chances. As always, you get what you pay for. Precision doesn’t come cheap. But low quality is always too expensive.

Mike

rickster338
    Participant

The easy way to properly tram in a mill head is to use an indicol and a dial indicator in .001 or a mag base with a with three contact points. attach to the spindle and set micrometer to make contact with the xy table of the mill and rotate the indicator around the table and make the necessary adjustments until the micrometer reads zeroed out as you rotate the micrometer around the spindle’s axis, and your setup and ready to go when you square up the vice on the xy table of your

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar