Taipan Laminate airgunUragans airgun

How to decock the Condor SS—-

Home Forums AirForce Condor/Condor SS How to decock the Condor SS—-

This topic contains 50 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  pb0201 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • Author

olschool

After spending the weekend shooting and hunting with both my TalonP and an old style Talon SS in .22, I really liked being able to de-cock my .22. As soon as I got home I looked up this thread and “fixed” my TalonP. Thanks for sharing the info!

Anonymous

Yes, a very cool randy_68 posting.

I’ll also try to keep the pics in my Photo Bucket for as long as I can.

~ GKU

sanokypa

[quote=”Olschool”]After spending the weekend shooting and hunting with both my TalonP and an old style Talon SS in .22, I really liked being able to de-cock my .22. As soon as I got home I looked up this thread and “fixed” my TalonP. Thanks for sharing the info![/quote

airforce really didn’t think clearly when putting that feature of un able to decock a gun, all good guns that are safe can be decock,,

only people with not correct set of mind will want a gun that can;t be decock by the users,, :biggrinn:

airgun-bill

Went on my first groundhog hunt recently with my new TT Condor in 22 cal. and the issue of the automatic safety and inability to de-cock came into play. When I go out with my firearms to hunt groundhogs it will be for 3 to 6 hours. I never walk around with a round in the chamber until I see a groundhog and then chamber the round. This only takes a couple of seconds to do this and I take to shot.’This is of course for an extra level of safety. If I can’t take the shot I don’t fire off the round I just remove it from the chamber and put back in the magazine. With my stock Condor I would have liked to be able to do something similar. When I first went out with the Condor I had a pellet in the breech and hammer cocked. You never know when you will walk up on a groundhog and you need to get the shot off quickly. I of course did not like the idea of leaving the hammer spring cocked for possibly more than a couple of hours. So at times I would shoot off the pellet and go to my sit and wait strategy near a likely groundhog den. The idea was I would have the time to load the pellet and not have to leave the hammer cocked for long periods. I saw this post awhile back and decided to remove the auto safety feature today. Now I can do something similar to my firearm routine. That is load a pellet and de-cock the hammer, like having no charge behind the pellet. When I see the groundhog or other critter just cock the rifle and take a well aimed shot. It must be well aim with this single shot rifle. The only thing to remember is to fire off the pellet in the breech if no target presents itself at the end of the day. Much thanks to all that came up with this modification and contributed to this post. I plan to go out later today and do some hunting wish me luck. Airgun Bill

dougroundup
    Participant
    quote Airgun Bill:

Went on my first groundhog hunt recently with my new TT Condor in 22 cal. and the issue of the automatic safety and inability to de-cock came into play. When I go out with my firearms to hunt groundhogs it will be for 3 to 6 hours. I never walk around with a round in the chamber until I see a groundhog and then chamber the round. This only takes a couple of seconds to do this and I take to shot.’This is of course for an extra level of safety. If I can’t take the shot I don’t fire off the round I just remove it from the chamber and put back in the magazine. With my stock Condor I would have liked to be able to do something similar. When I first went out with the Condor I had a pellet in the breech and hammer cocked. You never know when you will walk up on a groundhog and you need to get the shot off quickly. I of course did not like the idea of leaving the hammer spring cocked for possibly more than a couple of hours. So at times I would shoot off the pellet and go to my sit and wait strategy near a likely groundhog den. The idea was I would have the time to load the pellet and not have to leave the hammer cocked for long periods. I saw this post awhile back and decided to remove the auto safety feature today. Now I can do something similar to my firearm routine. That is load a pellet and de-cock the hammer, like having no charge behind the pellet. When I see the groundhog or other critter just cock the rifle and take a well aimed shot. It must be well aim with this single shot rifle. The only thing to remember is to fire off the pellet in the breech if no target presents itself at the end of the day. Much thanks to all that came up with this modification and contributed to this post. I plan to go out later today and do some hunting wish me luck. Airgun Bill

Yes, you bring up another important issue that I havent seen addressed….. Be sure if ya uncock not to double load. At least its not as easy to double load an AF like some other guns!

mischief
    quote GKU:

To remove the anti-dic-cocking device (AKA, the auto safety reset):

Lower the power wheel setting all the way down.
    Cock the breach (gun).
    Remove the air tank from the gun.
    Remove the tank collar.

Slide the breach back, you can remove it if you want but it’s not necessary.

Place the safety in the OFF position.
    De-cock by hold the hammer with a dowel through the breach and de-cock the gun.

Punch out this pin from the right side only.

Turn the gun upside down.
    Use the dowel to push the hammer back a little to release the pressure on the device.

This anti-de-cocking device should fallout, or it may need to be wiggled a bit.

Reinstall the pin from the left side, this pin is directional and it goes in only oneway!
    Cock and de-cock to check.
    Cock the gun and set the safety in the ON position.
    Reinstall the air tank bottle.

Happy shooting or I should say happier shooting!

~ GKU

p.s. Be careful when removing this anti-dic-cocking device if one forgets to close the breach before firing. Now, it’s kind of like forgetting to pull up your zipper after dic cocking, anti won’t be there anymore to zip it up for you !

Where is the “de-cocking link” located? Where is it going to “fall out” from?

Anonymous

It’s locate inside of the breech and after punching out it’s pin with the gun upside-down flick the safety on and off and it should fall right out.

~ Greg

calinb
    Participant
    quote dougroundup:

Anyone who has experienced “M1 Thumb” from intimate use of the Garand Rifle can likely appreciate the attributes of this mechanical feature!

Yeah–I’ve had M1 thumb. :3: I didn’t get it from operating the rifle, however; I got it when taking chamber measurements with a Hornady/Stoney Point Gauge. My thumbnail turned black and eventually mostly fell off, but M1 thumb won’t kill or seriously injure ya’!

I just purchased my first PCP air gun (a TalonP) and, to be clear about this mod and understand it better, could a forum member confirm that the physical risk of the hammer falling on an open breech is a similar injury to one’s digits, if they are in the way. I guess the hammer/striker would snap the breech closed and pinch the fingers against the spin lock ring and frame?

quote dougroundup:

Especially when it is so easy to touch off the trigger when fully seating a heavier pellet into a tighter fitting barrel lead/chambering.

If one always sets the safety to “on” immediately after cocking without fail, (which I do by habit on all manual safety guns and I prefer a manual safety, because it reinforces this habit) then there is no additional risk to defeating the operation of the TalonP automatic safety, right?

As others here no doubt agree, I think being able to de-cock a gun offers more significant safety advantages than an automatic safety. However, the relative merits of safety features to the user and a product liability lawyer are very different things!

Also as others have pointed out, the ability to de-cock a TalonP can save air and pellets. I cut-off the trigger blocker from my Benjamin 397 and 392 air rifles to permit de-cocking. I believe the ability to de-cock the guns results in improved safety, and air and pellet savings too. (You can leave a Benji MPP gun fully charged indefinitely, if improved exhaust valves are installed.)

I know this is an old thread, but it still seems to be active and I would like to confirm my beliefs about the safety mechanism and an open breech discharge in the TalonP.

Thanks,

-Cal

wll2506

I too wish to know, if the safety is on and the breach is oped and being “De-Cocked”, will the gun fire if the trigger is pulled or is the safety still working and you are safe ? An important question for me.

wll2506

cdegrassi

Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire.
    Only pull the trigger for decocking if necessary pointing the gun in a safe direction.
    Do not trust the safety as it is a mechanical device!

These are safety rules!

Now, with the safety on, it “should not” shoot while the breech is open.
    If you mod the safety to prevent this, you are just looking for trouble in my opinion.

Cheers
    Chris

Anonymous
    quote cdegrassi:

Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire.
    Only pull the trigger for decocking if necessary pointing the gun in a safe direction.
    Do not trust the safety as it is a mechanical device!

These are safety rules!

Now, with the safety on, it “should not” shoot while the breech is open.
    If you mod the safety to prevent this, you are just looking for trouble in my opinion.

Cheers
    Chris

Don’t Rely On Your Gun’s “Safety” ……. and this is not only my option.
    It doesn’t matter if u have a safety on your gun or not, all guns should be considered and treated like it’s loaded even if u think it’s not.

ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
    This is the NRA primary rule of gun safety. …

more on safe shooting for yah …….
    http://www.nssf.org/safety/basics/index.cfm?segment=true

~ Greg

wll2506

When you take out the pin and remove the toggle, is that pin running through the safety at all or are the safety and the un-cock two independent items running on two separate drift pins ?

wll2506

wll2506

Well no replies, but soon as I get my new Condor SS… the very first thing I do will be to remove that toggle arm and make her so I can de-cock the gun —– A MUST on a hunting gun, IMHO !

wll2506

calinb
    Participant
    quote wll2506:

Well no replies, but soon as I get my new Condor SS… the very first thing I do will be to remove that toggle arm and make her so I can de-cock the gun —– A MUST on a hunting gun, IMHO !
    wll2506

I agree. I have a new TalonP and haven’t even had time to shoot it yet. I suspect that the safety will still work as expected after removing the toggle. It should work just the same as my Benji 397 and 392 after I modified them–safety will work but the guns will discharge out of breech too, if the trigger is pulled (safety not selected).

wll2506

I did not drift out the de-cock unit like I said I would as I want to watch someone do it, How hard do you have to push on the hammer to dislodge the de-cock arm ? is there any other thing attached to that pin, that if it falls out will be a pain to put back in ?

I really don’t want to have parts all over the place as I can’t find a parts manual anywhere. But, it is something that needs to be done

As a Side Bar !

I load the gun without cocking it, and that way I have a pellet that is ready to go once cocked, of course you still can’t unlock the gun, but it is faster than cocking, and loading for that all important first shot.

wll2506

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar