help 9mm or 45

Home Forums Other Guns Other Guns help 9mm or 45

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    nebraska
    Participant

Looking to get either a 9mm or 45 cal. dose any one have a suggestion on brand of rifle. was looking at shin sung the career 707 in 9 mm looks OK, how do the in line clips work can they be trusted. ❓

y
    Participant

The inline clips work fine, but there is nothing to keep the pellets in them when they are not in the gun so if you have a spare magazine in your pocket unless you keep them upright they might fall out.

Could be done better, but it works great in the gun so that isnt that big a deal to me.

the .45 is more powerful, but the 9mm is a repeater and because the pellets are smaller/lighter than the .45’s they go faster and give a flatter trajectory.

If “I” was going to choose out of just those two.. I’d get the 9mm.

BUT that being said, I’d probably go with a .25 career infinity or 300over both the 9mm and the .45 that have plenty of power and the revolver type magazines. the .25 has plenty of power to kill pretty much anything the 9mm could be humanly used on (I dont think the 9mm or .45 korean guns are powerful enough for deer etc, need a DAQ or a slayer at close range for that).

I seen a few of the 9mm’s having problems and people selling them shortly after they buy them.

nuglor
    Participant

This was on the yellow forum a few days ago. He has several of them.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79574/message/1190945742/new+909+Big+Bore+44

rob3dr
    Participant

The 45 is plenty for deer sized animals. Actually, in stock form the 909s .45 has more fpe than the DS 50.

With my 909s, I’m getting a good 5 to 6 shots before POI starts dropping significantly.

I’ve looked into the 9mm and from what I can read up, the Fire 901 may be a great pic. Not a repeater, but can accept a wider variety of ammunition.

teflontron
    Participant

The 9mm is easy to modify. I think that Ced said that his was about 250fpe, if I remember correctly.

rob3dr
    Participant

Thats true. There are plenty of folks out there modding all these guns, actually.

The general consensus on the AAH forum is that the 9mm is great for game up to small hogs and deer within range and can be modded to give very nice numbers…

The 909s in .45 offers more oompf out of the box, but can also be modded to great numbers.

The DS50 is a bit anemic out of the box, but very accurate. I’ve not seen a whole lot about folks modifying those for more power, but I’m sure someone out there has.

teflontron
    Participant

Rob: all that I know of the DS is that Big Bore Bob took a look at a few and concluded that they will be hard to modify as the flow of air is not as straight and true as the other rifles in this category. He said that 20-30fpe more than stock was all that was to me expected. Now, that was a while ago and BBB is very good but not the only person working on these, so maybe something else has changed since then.

y
    Participant

My apologies. Robs right – I got my .45 and .50 mixed up. The .45 is more powerful than the .50 as counter intuitive as that may seem.

I totally forgot about the single shot fire 9mm.

I’ve shot the .45 and the 9mm repeater, but not the slayer.

nuglor
    Participant

I just spoke with Leroy by phone yesterday about tuning my DS. I got the same info. There is not a lot that can be done to them to up the power. The easiest thing is to put a .45 lead ball in front of the hammer spring and you will get about another 40fps. It gives the hammer more weight while shimming the spring at the same time. I plan to try it when my gets here next week.

rob3dr
    Participant

I thought I had read something similar a while back regarding the DS50. By all accounts, a very accurate rifle, just a bit shy on power compared with many other big bores. Still… a chunk of lead that large has gotta hurt.

I’ve found plenty of conflicting info on the 9mm. I’ve seen numbers anywhere from 6-20 as far as shot count. Perhaps one day I’ll grab a 201 to see what it’ll do.

teflontron
    Participant

Rob: that is 100% right. The DS isn’t the most powerful of the readily available Big Bores, but it is the most accurate. The downside is that the power is very tough to raise, whereas the 9mm is very easy to take to 230fpe and relatively simple to take to 250+, which the DS can pretty much only dream of.

y
    Participant

The single shot 9mm Tron or the repeater can be taken to 250 tron?

IIRC the 9mm repeater is around 130 fpe.

teflontron
    Participant

The repeater. Pyramid’s site says that they get about 180fpe with a 100 Grain pellet on the 707 Ultra, and Ced used basic mods to get his up in the 250fpe range, iirc.

nebraska
    Participant

THANKS everyone. Going to take some time to absorb all this .You all have been a great help.

butcher45
    Participant

Yellow Ninja this is for you. If you use the proper pellet the .45 909 is PLENTY enough for deer out past 50 yards.

Anyone that doubts the capability of a big-bore airgun to take down big game needs to give P&P processing in Oklahoma a call. Just ask him what he thought about the damage done to the ram I shot with my .45 airgun.
    When I arrived at the end of the weekend to pick up my ram meat he greeted me by saying “now what did you say you shot that ram with again?” I replied “a .45 caliber airgun”. He just could not fathom an airgun causing such destruction, saying that the ram appeared to have been shot with a 30-06 producing an area of bloodshot meat on the exit wound that was as big as a pie pan.
    Here is my representative Black-Bellied Barbados Ram. I felt no need to measure the horns as he is a trophy no matter what in my mind. His skull will be plated in pewter with his cape hanging below on the wall.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.