Skip to toolbar
Taipan Laminate airgunUragans airgun

has anyone seen the new hybrid slug?

Home Forums BullPups Taipan Mutant/Veteran has anyone seen the new hybrid slug?

Viewing 11 posts - 76 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    darryl
    Participant

Now rowdy, don’t go getting all “Hoot” on us! 😀
    Nielsen still beats that 4-tin pricing at .05 cents per round. Can’t argue manufacturing. Every little bit extra adds to the price (screw-top tins, and printed two-color labels…cha-CHING!!!!).

Having said that, here are some observations. The Nielsen slugs are very uniform in size, .2165/5.50 mm on the money. The H&N .217/5.51 mm are also equally on the money. Measured at the base, of course. The Nielsens require a tiny bit more effort in cocking, and loading a slug into the breech, compared to the H&N slugs. This suggests to me that Nielsen uses a harder material (higher tin content?). For being roughly the same diameter (-.0005″) as the H&N slugs. With the new barrel the Nielsen slugs don’t group as well, and the group is more horizontal while the H&N group is a bit vertical. The Nielsens being harder, I wonder about increased friction in the barrel. I’d have to wear away more rifling to decrease that friction to near the H&Ns, and risk losing accuracy in the process. So I won’t go that route. I think a mild polish to help the H&Ns a bit might be worthwhile, but only a polish. No removing material. Just shine it up a little. Remember, I’m shooting indoors here. And the JSB 18s shot just a hair better. Less friction, I assume.
    Darryl

rowdy
    Participant

I have to admit the tins with the screw on lids are awesome…

You know I have read online comments, where some actually couldn’t stand the lid that screw on.

I am just guessing they never dropped one on the ground that didn’t have the screw on lid. Then had to pick all them up, dirt sticks and all.

darryl
    Participant

I’ve been lucky in not dropping tins that didn’t have the screw lids. Rather be lucky than good. 😉

But getting back to the slugs, do you think using the harder Nielsen slugs would be detrimental to the barrel? I admit I was initially surprised that the cocking lever requires that bit more effort to close when using the Nielsens. Not to go OCD on it, but I’m not a slug shooter by history, and so am curious (and maybe a little concerned) about barrel wear with the harder material. I do think the H&N slugs may be slightly softer, but I really can’t tell. To repeat myself, they require less effort to close the cocking lever. Things that make you go “hmmmm…”
    Darryl
    PS I started this thread because I am interested in the new presentation of slugs for regular airgun barrels. It’s a new thing. I don’t recall seeing anything that hints at problems. But then the Boeing 737-Max isn’t flying either. I wonder if the FX slugs are made of a softer lead composition, or if those slug barrels are made to a different spec than “regular airgun barrels?

miksatx
    Participant

Have ya shot any of the 216.5s at any distance yet?

darryl
    Participant

Nope. Not yet, miksatx. It’s not been good shooting weather here. The Sun is out today. It’s 50 out too but my I’m a bit tied up at the moment. Soon, I hope. The new barrel shoots the JSBs in a tighter group (indoors) that can be overlaid with the groups from the older barrel and still be seen clearly and completely. That’s a hopeful sign. IN both barrels the H&N 21 grain slugs group tighter. I hope these results will translate one I can shoot outside again. Right now I’m waiting on Santa to bring me a large package (so I can grab it before the porch-Pirates come patrolling).

miksatx, what do you make of the Nielsens being harder to shove through the barrel? Definitely high friction with them. Must be hard on the rifling
    Darryl

miksatx
    Participant

Probably lead up the barrel faster. Made you a offer on your Nielsen slugs? If I get them I’ll see how well they shoot out my polygon barrel on my standard. Got the barrel back from the machinist Friday night. I’ll probably end up just resizing them down to .215 like my cast slugs.

darryl
    Participant

miksatx, we have a deal. Glad I saved your addy. It’s been a day here!
    Darryl

darryl
    Participant

hello all,and Merry Christmas to those little elves among us!
    I am sharing this information from my Gmail account re: Nielsen slugs, in quotations:
    “Highlighted reply
    Heath Halfhill
    12 hours ago
    longbowdt Nelson slugs are soft lead and way softer than say Crosman Pellets. I have never shot them. Matt Dubber said in one of his videos how soft the Nelson’s are and that’s why they expand so well now compared to when they were new out. Besides, the barrel on an Airgun is probably good for a million or more shots even at higher velocity’s I think. I believe Tom Gaylord said that about the life of a Airgun barrel being a million or more shots.”
    On gmail, I am longbowdt, as well as one You Tube. Here is the link to that video, and comments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaEg3DNW6u4&lc=z23ycfxriueoer42qacdp435oc1g4pknq0wzd4ib5y1w03c010c.1577238817135309

I had assumed the Nielsen slugs were much harder because of the effort it took to load even the .2165 slugs as compared to the H&N .217 slugs. I can feel the greater resistance when closing the cocking lever. So what could be the cause of this resistance? Any ideas?
    thank you,
    Darryl

darryl
    Participant

Hello again,
    My little adventure hasn’t made much progress. I’ve been waiting on Nielsen to produce a .215 slug, but I’m not sure when/if that will happen. I’d thought he was waiting on tooling. Meanwhile, I can now say that using Petr’s barrel to shoot the H&N .217 21-grain slugs has turned out not so bad. Over-doing the Flitz and JB bore paste has greatly reduced the choke’s tightness,which the slugs don’t mind at all. the JSB Jumbo Heavies seem to object (larger groups than the slugs). I don’t shoot the Nielsen .2165″ (17.5 grain) anymore.

Today I had a chance to get a few shots off at 30 yards. The slugs have a different trajectory than the pellets. They shoot the same POA as the JSBs indoors (I checked; I was hitting the same hole with the slugs as made by the JSBs). It’s a small shooting space, < ten yards. In my experience with the Short’s rail and my scope (SWFA 16x Mil-Mil) I could set the indoor POA at one mil below the crosshairs, and be pretty much on POI at 30 yards with the cross hairs on target, shooting AA 18 grain pellets. The slugs seem to be hitting about one foot higher than the POA. I don’t think the Short’s scope rail was made for slugs. But what to do? Any suggestions?
    Darryl

PS I attached an image that shows some indoor shooting. The scope can’t focus below 10 meters so my aim point is always blurred indoors. Still, I’m able to get things close. H&N .217″/21-grain slugs. Not bad for sitting in a swivel chair. 🙂

darryl
    Participant

a good slug comparison video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vlQuaAFBIo
    Darryl

miksatx
    Participant

Pretty interesting.

Viewing 11 posts - 76 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.