Skip to toolbar

has anyone seen the new hybrid slug?

Home Forums BullPups Taipan Mutant/Veteran has anyone seen the new hybrid slug?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    darryl
    Participant

I watched a video from Airgun-101 which featured the slug. It’s a hollow-point with said BC of 0.08. Lots of shooting in the video. bit expensive at $15.00 per 100 slugs. I don’t think I should post a link here, so I’ll simply say it’s good to see this new twist for the community. I wonder if my Short can handle it.
    darryl

hoot
    Participant

Darryl, I shot this transparent slug yesterday! My Vulcan seemed to handle it ok, so I see no reason your Shorty wouldn’t do the same!

Regards,

Kindly ‘Ol Uncle Hoot

darryl
    Participant

LOL!!! Hoot, you’re certainly named correctly! But here’s a link to an article on a new slug. I just ordered a couple of tins from PA: https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/had-to-share-hn-sports-new-slugs/ I’m hoping the BC will compensate for the Short’s power,which is currently set at 24 fpe. I know I can increase that power a little, but we’ll see what happens. I bought these because of price and quantity: 200 per tin for $16.00. That’s twice the amount for the similar FX slugs, for half the price.
    You are a true treasure here.
    Darryl
    PS a link to the PA site where I bought the slugs: https://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/H_N_Slug_HP_217_Cal_21_Grains_Hollowpoint_200ct/1544

Tim
    Participant

I hadn’t heard anything about h and n slugs having hit the market. All I’ve seen is the hype behind the fx hybrid. I just started testing the NASA’s from the high speed press a little slower than I want 840fps. I’d like to see them at 880fps in the tpv long and see how they do. The accuracy is great the jsb monsters shoot a hair better under 50 yds. But at 75 I hit a squirrell and didnt hold anything and smacked him. Unfortunately he fell into the crook of the tree and I was unable to recover to see how the nsas performs at that speed but hoping to get out tomorrow and try again.

darryl
    Participant

Hello Tim,
    Thank you for the reply and input. Much appreciated.

What is the high speed press?
    What diameter slug are those NASA slugs (do I have that name correct?)
    What caliber is your TPV?
    WHat is the weight of the slugs you’re using?
    Why 880 fps vs 840? Is that the max the TPV can push them?

Regarding the H&N slugs I bought, on PA there currently are no reviews. So it must be pretty new to the market, and so an unknown. H&N only has one mention of the slug on it’s Facebook page.

Slightly OT, I found this link to a site by the name of “Trainers4ME”. Lot’s of pellets listed there. The site seems like an Amazon for pellets, at first glance: https://trainers4me.com/BBs-%26-Pellets-Pellet-Gun/1762/239/386/e13’178889g17Pellet%20Gun’e16’8/185/
    Maybe someone will find it of some use.
    Another link to that site’s pellets selection: https://trainers4me.com/BBs-%26-Pellets-Pellet-Gun/1762/239/386/e13’178889g17Pellet%20Gun’e16’8/185/

thanks again,
    Darryl

miksatx
    Participant

Pretty sure Tim talking bout NSA ammo https://nielsenspecialtyammo.com

rowdy
    Participant

Really cool web site and even better looking pellets!

Haven’t seen the psa before, thanks man

darryl
    Participant

Thanks miksatx. I was not familiar enough to know the abbreviation, though I’d heard of the company, and it’s slugs. Very popular.

Rowdy, I hope the site is of valuer to you.What’s the PSA? Pardon me as I’m slow today.
    atb all,
    Darryl

darryl
    Participant

good morning all,
    I am sharing a bit of info I got from H&N about it’s new slugs. I’d joined it’s Facebook page so I could post a question. Then I asked for info regarding the bc of it’s slugs. I got a quick reply which stated the bc is between 0.091 and 0.106, depending on weight. Those numbers seem pretty good for shooting through an airgun with a standard barrel (I’m assuming the answer refers to s standard barrel). Maybe I should ask about testing various barrel twist rates? Anyway, just passing along what I’ve found out so far.
    Darryl

rowdy
    Participant

D,

My bad dude, that should have been NSA… I have no idea if I fat fingered or just fubarred the abbreviation, but for sure all on me…

I don’t get any of the abbreviations actually. To me the same abbreviation in one conversation is something totally different in another circle of friends and or workers.

I am still trying to figure out what I was thinking psa was. Maybe I had pellet specialty ammo 🙂

darryl
    Participant

Rowdy, no harm, no foul. It’s all good. I can use a mind-teaser at my age! 😀
    Happy Holidays!
    darryl
    PS can’t wait to see how this little thing will handle a 21 grain slug. Might be more than it can chew.

rowdy
    Participant

D,

Dang nice looking pup you have… Really nice.

Now far as the mind teaser, I would need to get a mind to tease at my age and condition 🙂

Happy Holidays back at you!

darryl
    Participant

Rowdy,
    thanks for the compliment on the Short. It’s been the perfect urban sniper gun for pest control. I set it at lower power most of the time, and only recently bumped it to 24 fpe.

As for mind teasers, I’ve tried the Vulcan mind-meld technique (My mind to my mind), but nobody was home!

Are you playing on the computer at work?! 😀
    darryl
    PS to you (and all) do you think the Short will be able to handle the 21 grain slug? I’ve seen this gun put out over 900 fps with the 18 grain AA Heavy.

darryl
    Participant

I’m retired, which gives me time to think (except when it comes to impulse buys!) I’ve been trying to figure out if I jumped the gun on ordering the .217 slug (5.51mm) instead of the 0.218 slug (5.53mm). So I went searching. This video helps me to understand what it takes to shoot slugs accurately. It’s broken down in to addressed questions if you select the “show more” below the channel author’s name for the drop-down menu. I hope you find it useful too The Ultimate guide to FX slug liners
    Darryl
    PS what I think I understand is that the slug does not favor a deep bite from the rifling. Nor does it like the slower twist rate of the barrel. I’ve put this question and a few others to H&N on it’s Facebook page. If I get an answer, I’ll pass it along here.

darryl
    Participant

more info on the H&N slug: From Airgun Nation:
    November 21, 2019 at 11:59 amLINK
    (member’s name removed by me, Darryl, subject text is inside the quotation marks)
    “Member
    HI Guys

This is my first post, but felt I had something worth adding.

Think this may have ran off topic as most of us know the pile drivers and grizzlies were too large and too hard to work in normal airguns. To be fair to H&N, the new slugs are very different and have had extensive testing at the factory and are soft lead. We have them shooting one tinny hole at 30 yards (H&N 21g .22 924fps) as we did with the new (Prohunter 22.8g .22 908fps). Have not tested the H&N at longer distance, but they are the same accuracy at 30y and the Prohunters managed a 12mm 5 shot group at 100yards on a very still day last weekend. Rifle is a Daystate MK1 Harrier with LR90 barrel that has a 1/20″ twist, and lane reg set at 140bar.

When we have another good day will try and get a group on film at 100y.”

I watched a video from Airgun Exploration and Advancement Channel wherein the H&N factory was toured. Relating to the new slugs, I got these points:
    1)slugs tested at 100m
    2)H&N worked with airguns specific to slug use (a picture of an FX Impact was shown)
    3) any airgun shooting above 20 fpe will shoot the slugs. Any lower and the slug might get caught in the barrel. Higher velocities mean better groups.

A link the the H&N sampler at PA (shows the .217/5.51mm sampler, but the .218/5.53 sampler is also available): https://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/H_N_Slug_HP_Sampler_217_Cal_5_Types/1554

and this informative article:https://hardairmagazine.com/news/airgun-slugs-the-ammunition-of-the-future/

Darryl

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.