Hammer slap mod, how much power is lost?

Home Forums AirForce General Chat Hammer slap mod, how much power is lost?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    bodhisdad
    Participant

Those of you who have tried this mod, what were your experiences with it. Effectiveness, velocity loss and how did yo do the mod. There are many ways of doing it a rubber washer to a o-ring installation per Tony’s site. This is the final noise factor i can control,pewllet impact out of my hands. Butits all down the the hammer slap. Any input be much appreciated. Thanx BD

knifemaker
    Participant

I too would like to know the in’s and out’s on this one! I know I need to addres the blow by issue in the valve. Tony’s o-ring mod should take jcare of most of that. Does’nt he also do an o-ring mod for the hammer? Mike

walkonking
    Participant

I am not interested in the hammer slap as much as getting rid of the damn “Ping” in the tank.

synopsys
    Participant
    quote WalkonKing:

I am not interested in the hammer slap as much as getting rid of the damn “Ping” in the tank.

Just take the end cap off, the ‘ping’ goes right away!!! 😆

knifemaker
    Participant

You ain’t right!!! lol

triggerman
    Participant
    quote WalkonKing:

You know, thats funny you mentioned the “ping” in the tank. I am on my second Talon SS right now and have spent a good amount of time developing some baffling that finally works. It was not until I got it as quiet as I have it now that I have now noticed the “ping” when firing. Guess we will never be satisfied with the small noises they make after getting the Loud noises tamed down…. 😀

bodhisdad
    Participant

I have read that a small washer/nut hanging from a thread inside the tank will detune the ping. Something along these lines will work. Its a matter of resonance or tapping a tuning fork it rings. touch it and its dampened. Same could easily be done with the tank, maybe even a taped washer so you don’t have to hear it ring in th filed, or carring it around, Something plastic may work as well, just remember reading about the washer thing on some old forum 😉

Now what about my hammer slap????????????

poi
    Participant

HMMM…Ive seen some vacume cleaner belt that look like 6″ dia. orings laying around…wonder what folding one and stikingit in the tank would do…

BTW i got a slap attenuator from a dude on the old TOG (THX1180 or some such handle) and it did loose a bit of power that was easily regained by tophat retune.

akula
    Participant

I wish to know more of this tank ‘ping.’ I’ve never heard it. I’m deaf as a post and yet I’m aware of the noise that our guns produce. Please expound. AKULA

walkonking
    Participant
    quote AKULA:

I wish to know more of this tank ‘ping.’ I’ve never heard it. I’m deaf as a post and yet I’m aware of the noise that our guns produce. Please expound. AKULA

When you shoot the gun air resesvoir will cause a ping or bell like sound when shot. It is caused from a shock wave going from one end of the reservoir to the other. In some guns they put a plastic spacer with a small hole in the center which slows down this shock wave and decreases the ping.

riffraff
    Participant

Try either one of these. Plays for most poeple, depends on your system.

Both vids have a ping sound I never could identify, could be tank ping.

http://w3.gorge.net/leadbest/Condor/Condor01.html

http://w3.gorge.net/leadbest/Condor/Condor02.html

bodhisdad
    Participant

Riff, plays for just a second for me.

The ping in my rig is under the hammer slap, i can detect it, but the hammer slap is much more pronounced. Or so says my ear? Might have to drop a little something in the tank to break the resonance issue and hear for myself.

THX is MIA, i remember him.

walkonking
    Participant
    quote RiffRaff:

Try either one of these. Plays for most poeple, depends on your system.

Both vids have a ping sound I never could identify, could be tank ping.

http://w3.gorge.net/leadbest/Condor/Condor01.html

http://w3.gorge.net/leadbest/Condor/Condor02.html

Yep that is the tank ping.

If you want to hear hammer slap alone take out the tank and cock and shoot the gun. You can hear the difference from slap and ping

bodhisdad
    Participant

WOK, when you do that we’re taking the tank pressure/valve opening out of the picture/ sound as well.

I follow what your saying though. There is a combination of noise/s going on in that area during the fireing cycle. Are you suggesting that the ping is responable for most the noise?? I have a valve i’m porting now and will drop in a deresonator. Any thoughts on material? Such as line and actual depinger? I was thinking some fireline and a rubber coated washer or two.

walkonking
    Participant

Read this page it talks about depingers and demonstrates it.

http://www.hamcontact.com/s310/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.